Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2018, 08:21 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,524 times

Advertisements

Anyone want to befriend an 80-some-year-old refugee from Dayton sitting on the south bank of the Ohio river across from Cincinnati?

I haven't been out of the apartment building, except to occupy a hospital bed, for about four years -- can't walk anymore. The best I can do is ride around on a mobility scooter which doesn't go very far. It's not impossible to go somewhere. Both taxi and public transportation can get me somewhere (even Dayton), it's just that it's so complicated and such a big production that even if I won the lottery I'd look for an agent.

I've got three friends (no reliable kinfolk) that are _now_ more or less as bad off as me. One's in Louisville. One's on oxygen about 70 miles east in the foothills of the mountains. One''s in Celina, and while that's only about 60 some miles from Dayton, it's 135 or so miles from me.

Among the concerns:

Seventeen years ago (2001, while still able-bodied) I started a website with the idea of it being a reference to/for Aviation Trail. The Wright Brothers didn't live in a vacuum. People lived in the houses around them. The names of many of those people are listed in the City Directories of the time. The state historical society has them. Big libraries (both Dayton and Cincinnati) have them. They're just not listed online with maybe some personal family notes. (Based on suggestions from someone, I also took apart the eleven sort of generalized historical pages that were done, notes for which have been sitting in Newport for about five years.)

That's _one_ concern.

If anyone even knows anyone....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 09:18 AM

51 posts, read 59,673 times
This is actually up my alley seeing as I've been trying to figure out who used to live in my house a couple blocks away from #7 Hawthorne, but my searches at the library have been mostly fruitless. I think my house got re-numbered at one point and the Dayton library is missing some earlier directories. Maybe the rangers at the National Park have access to some additional resources?

Old 05-14-2018, 09:44 AM

If you have any kind of a name, the state historical society (in Columbus) can look up the name. Or at least they did one I turned in.

I didn't get to get a good look at the microfiche (?-sp) copies in Cincinnati before I had to leave, but I understand something like the 1900 City Directory is not listed by street. Later ones are. The early ones just had a name and address and someone has to go down the list looking for streets.

You could find a later book with street listings and try whatever name is there in an earlier book. While that may not give you what you want, it's worth a try.

Now, getting back to me.... If you want to help with my "masterpiece" (or anything else) let me know.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:54 AM

51 posts, read 59,673 times
I don't know if I have much time right now to get really in depth and down in the weeds, but if you ever need someone to check something out for you in Dayton or are looking for any contacts, let me know and I'll see if I can unearth anything.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdipper80 View Post
I don't know if I have much time right now to get really in depth and down in the weeds, but if you ever need someone to check something out for you in Dayton or are looking for any contacts, let me know and I'll see if I can unearth anything.
Dozens of times I have pulled out an ATI travel brochure and handed it to someone. They immediately pop up with "Oh, I've been to the Air Force Museum." Well, God love the Air Force Museum, but that ain't it. Locally I have found two pilots and a kid supposedly interested in aviation, and none of them want to do anything on it. I've even offered money for an hour a week. It's not a part of "this" world.

And, more here, later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton