Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 05:18 PM

47 posts, read 91,173 times

Advertisements

I intended to work and live in Columbus OH but received a job offer from a company in Springfield instead. I did some research on Springfield and learned that this city has some crime in the south side but the northern part is generally nice. Is that true? How safe or dangerous is Springfield? Some people say that the crime was bad but others say the city is still nice and the crime exaggerated. Am I making a good decision by moving to Springfield?

Also, I know that certain stores and malls in Springfield were closed. I wonder do Springfield residents still have many shopping options within the city without traveling to Columbus or Dayton?

As I am gay in my early 30s, how are LGBT lives in Springfield and its nearby areas? How easy/difficult am I going to meet like-minded people?

As Springfield is close to both Columbus and Dayton, I am posting the same questions on both forums. Your insights would be truly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 07:53 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,382 times
Personally, depending where in Springfield the job is, I think you would be more happy, especially the LGBT aspect, in Yellow Springs. The town was (and in some way still is), a hippie town in the middle of Republican and Evangelical country, aka Greene County. I say that with note that Cedarville is home to a large Baptist university and Beavercreek and Fairborn have a lot of military workers. Of the two neighbors to Yellow Springs, Beavercreek probably would be better just by being a larger suburb with a decent more mixed population (a lot of Indians and Chinese and Korean families live there). Also, the major state university, Wright State is just north of Beavercreek.

Overall, commuting from Yellow Springs to Springfield up US-68 is fairly easy. To get to I-70, it would be about a 10-15 minute drive at most. The north end of Springfield would probably be about 20 or so minutes. From Beavercreek/Fairborn, focusing on the apartments and rentals you will find near the Fairfield Commons Mall, I think Springfield would be about 25-35 minutes depending on where in Springfield you are going. With the exception of driving into Springfield on local streets, the best route would be I-675 to I-70 to OH-4 to US-68 or Springfield local streets.

The general assessment of "good vs. bad" areas of Springfield itself is more or less true. The north side also has portions that attend a different school district zoned for Kenton Ridge High School. Springfield still has some shopping around Betchel Ave off US-68. The mall is basically done. Some chain restaurants and such. More diverse dining options occur as you get closer to Dayton (Beavercreek, Kettering, Dayton itself). Unlike Dayton's revival, Springfield really has not turned a corner in such a dramatic fashion. That isn't to say Dayton does not have its troubles. But downtown and other certain neighborhoods have turned a corner over the last 5-10 years. Not nearly as huge a turn as Columbus. But there is movement in core Dayton communities. I would be careful if buying or renting anything inside Springfield that was assigned to Springfield Schools. The surrounding school districts tend to be more suburban in nature, but most of it was developed in the 70's and 80's. Most new development is in Greene County to the south and west.

As for Yellow Springs, that at least puts you between Beavercreek and Springfield. Most major non-essential shopping would be in Fairborn or Beavercreek from Yellow Springs. Beavercreek has a Barnes & Nobles, most major big box stores, MELT (of Cleveland and Columbus fame), Fusian and other local and in-the-now regional and national chain restaurants on Fairfield Road. So there is plenty there. On the other side of Beavercreek (further from Springfield so less likely to be as sought after due to commuting time/distance), there is the outdoor lifestyle center, The Greene. Also a large bookstore here (I like B&N better, IMO). If it feels like a mini-Easton, it is because it was built by the same developer. If you are familiar, Condado Tacos is opening there. Highly recommend trying if you have not already. YS to The Greene is probably a 30 or so minute drive.

The one thing I would not do is commute from the Columbus area, especially inside I-270 to Springfield. It would be a haul each day. Probably about 90-100 miles round-trip on your work days. And while I-70 is direct and pretty easy (when not under construction) outside the Columbus beltway, the drive is not anything exciting over the 45-60 minutes to get out there. And that is without rush hour in Columbus.

Good luck with the seach!

Old 02-28-2020, 08:05 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Some parts of Springfield are a real dump, while others are okay. I know a guy who lives in a better section of Springfield and he does not have any problems. I can't comment on the LGBTQ question for Springfield, but Yellow Springs certainly has the reputation for being welcoming.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:07 PM

698 posts, read 234,503 times
Yellow Springs is very nice, and they have a GREAT brewery. And bike trails.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:12 PM

47 posts, read 91,173 times
Thank you all for the great advice on Yellow Springs! I just googled Yellow Springs and loved it! However, the price tag is much higher than Springfield, especially housing (the average housing price for Yellow Spring is about 3 times of Springfield's). Since they are only about 10 miles away, do you think it still worth the price?

Old 02-28-2020, 09:53 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Housing has been more expensive in Yellow Springs for many decades. I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy a house in either location. Personally, I'd rent for a year while I figured out where I wanted to buy.

Old 03-04-2020, 01:28 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adenlee View Post
Thank you all for the great advice on Yellow Springs! I just googled Yellow Springs and loved it! However, the price tag is much higher than Springfield, especially housing (the average housing price for Yellow Spring is about 3 times of Springfield's). Since they are only about 10 miles away, do you think it still worth the price?
I'd not worry about crime per se... more about cultural acceptance and the prevailing vibe. Springfield has been emblematic of Midwestern rust-belt decline for decades - even more than the Dayton region itself. Making a few assumptions here... that you're single, have a white-collar job, and aren't native to the greater Midwest.... then you'd have frictions and unpleasantness in Springfield, even if you weren't gay.... because Springfield is the very antithesis of "young professional".

Are you interested in an apartment or a house? Rent or buy? If you're considering buying a house, one suggestion is the rural areas north of Yellow Springs, and south of Springfield. This offers lower housing prices and a shorter commute than Yellow Springs itself. But it also means the travails of rural living (lonely, not walkable, lots of mowing and snow-shoveling, ...).

Strangely, Columbus has very little suburban extent on its west side (that is, towards Springfield). So there really isn't a suitable town between Columbus and Springfield, along the I-70... unless we consider the NE inner suburbs, and that means a lengthy commute.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:52 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
I live in Springfield, moved here from the Bay Area 12 years ago which was of course quite a shock at the time. It's not the most open-minded place and definitely a heavy redneck presence, but there are quite a few LGBT here and Equality Springfield is a very active sociopolitical group locally who advocate for rights and an annual pride party. Most of us progressive-type people do look to YS as a bit of an oasis...though Dayton has a ton of newer hangouts that didn't exist 5-10 years ago (especially if you like crafted beer & spirits).
Springfield has a brewery, a few authentic Mexican eateries, an actually amazing Japanese/sushi (Speakeasy Ramen) and there will be a newly remodeled market hall called CoHatch opening up this month which will have five new restaurants and a brewery along with live/work spaces (https://www.cohatch.com/locations/oh...eld-the-market). And we have farmers markets year round. So, the place isn't a complete wasteland and is coming around, but if you don't find friends at work you might be finding yourself hanging out more in YS or Dayton.
For where to live, the north side is definitely safer than the south and west sides...areas north of McCreight/First Street and west of Belmont are ideal for a newer resident. Most of the crime in Springfield is property crime, so don't leave anything of value in your car our out in your yard if it isn't bolted down. I'd avoid certain multiplexes like Red Coach Village if possible, since they tend to raise the rent every year and find any reason not to return your deposit even if you're only there for a year or two. You can send me a personal message if you have any more questions.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:31 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,066 times
To the OP, my vote for you is to look in Yellow Springs. Great restaurants, great entertainment, access to a great state park, and very easy commute in and out of Springfield each day. On the weekends, you'll be closer to cultural amenities in Dayton, you aren't appreciable further from Columbus.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:55 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
To the OP, my vote for you is to look in Yellow Springs. Great restaurants, great entertainment, access to a great state park, and very easy commute in and out of Springfield each day. On the weekends, you'll be closer to cultural amenities in Dayton, you aren't appreciable further from Columbus.
It's easy to tell people to move to YS, but it's only a town of 4,000 and very hard to break into as a newcomer. Open housing is limited and usually favored towards existing residents or those with connections. I had an aunt and a cousin who both moved there separately after the former living in Springfield for awhile and the latter working at The Winds for a few months before finding someone who offered up their place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton