Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 05:33 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times

Advertisements

In spreading devotion to Mary, the Mother of God, the Central Association of the Miraculous Medal wishes to offer you a free gift of a blessed Medal of the Immaculate Conception - popularly know as the "Miraculous Medal."

Free Miraculous Medal (http://www.cammonline.org/pages/freeMedal.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 10:24 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
I had to remove some of the URL from the link in Post #2 in order to get to the right page.

Glory's link is pretty much correct -- the ".com" just needs to be replaced with ".org".

I was able to fill out the info. Then, when I clicked on SUBMIT ORDER, I was directed to a blank page. I dont know whether my request was actually submitted. I hope so, as my 95-year-old mother, who is in the late stage of Alzheimers, doesnt know who she is or who anyone else is -- but she still recognizes the crucifix and religious medals. She kisses them and wears them on chains around her neck.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:17 AM

Thanks, Medal. All Catholic items give my mother much enjoyment. In fact, they're the only thing from her life that she recognizes. I feel so bad for her because it must be so terrifying to not even know who she is. But she wears a lot of rosaries and medals around her neck and, when she looks at one, a calmness comes over her face. I give her new medals, crucifixes and rosaries regularly and seeing her kiss them before she puts them around her neck brings tears to my eyes.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:36 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I had to remove some of the URL from the link in Post #2 in order to get to the right page.

Glory's link is pretty much correct -- the ".com" just needs to be replaced with ".org".

I was able to fill out the info. Then, when I clicked on SUBMIT ORDER, I was directed to a blank page. I dont know whether my request was actually submitted. I hope so, as my 95-year-old mother, who is in the late stage of Alzheimers, doesnt know who she is or who anyone else is -- but she still recognizes the crucifix and religious medals. She kisses them and wears them on chains around her neck.
My 88 year old mother is the same Texas. She may not know who I am (her only surviving child), but she always has one of her many sets of rosary beads close at hand and finds great peace in saying her rosary. I don't know if you'll find this helpful, but after doing some research I found out about Saint Dymphna who is the Patron Saint for those with nervous and mental disorders.

The History of St. Dymphna, Patron Ssint of Mental and Nervous Disorders | Catholic Saint

I went to a local religious store in my area and picked up a chaplet dedicated to her. It's basically a bracelet like item that I've attached to my Mom's wristwatch. She now does not get out of bed unless it's attached! Obviously the chaplet contains a small novena. Basically I just ask for peace and clarity of mind for my Mom. I don't expect a cure - but I didn't want my Mom as stressed as she was over "people waiting outside", an old boyfriend coming to take her home to Scotland to marry her, her irrational anger and distrust of me, etc. This chaplet, along with medication!, seems to have landed her in a better place. Still confused - but not stressed out over it. It's all about quality of life, isn't it?

Best of luck to you my friend on your journey with your Mom. It truly is the longest good-bye and terribly hard to watch pieces of them fade away each day. My prayers are with you and your Mom.

Thanks Glory for starting this with the offer of the Miraculous Medal. I've had a blessed one that is either around my neck or in my handbag since I was about 12!

Old 10-19-2011, 04:18 PM

Thanks SO much, dear cokatie! I wish I could rep you but apparently I've enjoyed some of your other posts too much.

I'm embarrassed that, as a former nun, I didnt know about Saint Dymphna. I'm going to share this with my sisters (my birth sisters, not any nuns I used to know ). That site has some very nice items for sale and I'm going to get some for my mother and for my sisters and myself. I still have problems as a result of my stroke five years ago, so I think I probably fit into the Nervous Disorders category myself. Thanks again!!!!!

Old 10-19-2011, 04:57 PM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Thanks Glory for starting this with the offer of the Miraculous Medal. I've had a blessed one that is either around my neck or in my handbag since I was about 12!
My mom -- who is "only" 77 and healthy as a horse, thank God -- carries her grandmother's rosary beads in her purse. They are garnet beads, brought with my great-grandmother from Italy, and are worn from years and years of faithful use.

I'm not much of a rosary-sayer myself, but I do keep my own grandmother's rosary in my purse, just like my mom does. Just maybe it's keeping me safe. This rosary was sent from the Vatican on the occasion of my grandmother's 100th birthday; it was one of her most treasured gifts from that day.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My mom -- who is "only" 77 and healthy as a horse, thank God -- carries her grandmother's rosary beads in her purse. They are garnet beads, brought with my great-grandmother from Italy, and are worn from years and years of faithful use.

I'm not much of a rosary-sayer myself, but I do keep my own grandmother's rosary in my purse, just like my mom does. Just maybe it's keeping me safe. This rosary was sent from the Vatican on the occasion of my grandmother's 100th birthday; it was one of her most treasured gifts from that day.
Omygoodness, I didnt realize there were so many Catholics here. Oh the stories we could share about the days when rapping meant that you'd gotten caught doing something and the nun was taking a ruler to your knuckles....

Old 10-19-2011, 06:31 PM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
share about the days when rapping meant that you'd gotten caught doing something and the nun was taking a ruler to your knuckles....
I didn't attend a Catholic school until college, and the nuns only hit you when you stole their beer.

I sprung for the medal. We could use a miracle right now.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:50 PM

O, Ohio, I attended all girls' schools for 12 years. Such wonderful memories. My knuckles automatically start clenching when I recall those days. Nowadays, of course, it would be considered abuse but we never looked at it that way. And we never held it against the nuns either. We loved them. Someone compared it once to the same way a dog loves the master who beats it. But it wasnt like that at all. The nuns never hit us in anger. It was strictly discipline and that's why we never took it personally. And almost everyone got rapped or switched from time to time, so we were all in the same boat.

I think I was the only girl throughout the first eight years of school whose name wasnt MARY JO or MARY FRANCES or MARY CATHERINE or, well, you get the picture. I wanted two names SO badly! My two names were LUCINDA FAITH but those certainly werent cool.

There's a great book out entitled GROWING UP CATHOLIC (and a sequel MORE GROWING UP CATHOLIC) that is as funny as it is true. I read both books years ago and need to read them again for a good laugh (be still my quivering knuckles).
http://www.amazon.com/Growing-Cathol.../dp/0767905970

Old 10-19-2011, 07:35 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,816,733 times
Im so sorry tfw for what you endured for 12 yrs tfw!!

My two older brothers went to catholic school only for high school.
The school stoped taking students when I was of age
This was in the early 70's
They told me stories that I would get nightmares at night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff