Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 09:23 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times

Advertisements

Paper back swap
www.paperbackswap.com
Paperback swap allows you to trade books you no longer want for books you want to read. After creating an account and listing 10 books you have that you are willing to swap, you receive 2 credits. Each credit can be used to request a book from another member. For each additional book you swap to another member, you get an additional credit. It's a great way to trade those books you wont read again for one you've been wanting to read.

Swap A DVD
www.swapadvd.com
Have you watched Gigli more than enough times? How about getting free movies? Swap a DVD will let you trade DVDs you no no longer want for new ones from other members. After signing up and listing 10 DVDs that you are willing to swap, you receive one credit which is good to request one DVD. For each DVD you swap out, you receive another credit. You do have to pay for shipping, but for about $2 you can trade your copy of Showgirls from something fitting for movie night.

Swap A CD
www.swapacd.com
Score some new car music for your family vacation or clear the clutter of unused CDs. Swap A CD works just like Swap a DVD, and is owned by the same company. Trade CDs you're tired of listening to for some new tunes. A quick search of the site turned up a vast range of music available from Beastie Boys to The New Kids on the Block, and for some reason a large number of Michael Bolton albums.

Trash Bank
www.trashbank.com
One person's trash truly is another person's treasure. Trash Bank allows you to trade, barter, or sell most any items or services. Transactions can be strictly trades, a combination of a trade and money, or strictly money.

Swap Tree
www.swaptree.com
Swap Tree trades books, CDs, DVDs, and video games. The site claims you can join in 9 seconds and be ready to make your first swap. Once you post an item you are willing to trade away, you'll be shown a list of what others are offering in return for the item you posted. Choose your trade, print a mailing label right from the website, and you're done.

Barter Quest
www.barterquest.com
Barter Quest allows you to trade just about anything from clothes to houses. BarterQuest allows you to post what you are willing to trade and what you would like in return. The site then matches you with potential good trades who are offering what you want. You are free to make your own offers if you see something you want.

U-Exchange
www.u-exchange.com
U-Exchange allows you to barter and trade goods and services. You can either post what you are looking for and what you are willing to trade in return, or browse the offers that others have posted. You do have to register, but registering is free and not fees are collected.

Zwaggle
www.zwaggle.com
Zwaggle is perfect for parents who no longer need baby gear and parents who are looking to stock up. Post what you no longer want, and if somebody chooses it you receive 'zoints'. You can trade your zoints for other goodies from other parents. The site is heavy on clothing, but also includes strollers, play yards, toys, maternity supplies and more. You can pick up items that are local or choose to have an item shipped to you. If you choose to have something shipped, consider the cost of shipping to determine whether it's still a good deal.

I found these on the following link:
Online freebies: 10 websites to use to trade items and find freebies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 09:07 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Paper back swap
www.paperbackswap.com
Paperback swap allows you to trade books you no longer want for books you want to read. After creating an account and listing 10 books you have that you are willing to swap, you receive 2 credits. Each credit can be used to request a book from another member. For each additional book you swap to another member, you get an additional credit. It's a great way to trade those books you wont read again for one you've been wanting to read.
I've been a member for over 2 years. It's excellent!

I've received books that look like they've never been read - including hardbacks. They also have definite requirements on how 'used' a book can be (ie, no water damage, no covers ripped off, etc) so you don't get one that's falling apart - although if you send for a book that's a golden oldie you have to expect yellow pages. As of this morning, they have over 4 million books in their database.

Out of 490 transactions, I've gotten maybe 10 damaged books, but all of the damage was caused by the Post Office - and you get your credit back if this happens!

You pay the postage for books going out - but I consider it a deal because I've received so many practically-almost new books . YMMV

Anyway, I recommend it, if you're a 'bookie'.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:05 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
WOW! Who knew??? I didnt, anyway. Thanks!

Old 02-20-2010, 03:30 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,712 times
Gandalara, I've thought several times about joining this, but, every time I send a package, it's pretty expensive, so I can't imagine the postage on books all the time, especially hardback. Now, someone did mention "media packaging". Do you use that, and if so, how much is that? Thanks

Old 02-20-2010, 04:19 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Yeah, most books are sent 'Media', only the skinny little paperbacks end up going 1st class which has a max of 7 oz ($2.24 for 7 oz, less for 6 oz, etc).

Media mail is $2.38 for up to 1 pound.

You can refuse to accept hardbacks if you want, then you won't have them to send out again. (I keep most of mine)

(If you decide to do this, use my name Gandalara as a referral. Then I get a freebie from them, LOL!)

Here's their FAQ Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff