Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:15 AM

49 posts, read 140,156 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are buying a house between Milton and Lewes and after reading a lot of posts here I have a few concerns. We currently live in the Balto/Wash corridor (Howard County) and I still work. My wife is retiring within a couple months. I will need to find something although it doesn't have to be what I currently earn and frankly I have to get out of the house just to stay sane. There is a chance that I can transfer since I work for the postal service but no guaranty. I guess I don't have a question, just looking for input.

I've read all of the complaints about traffic, but living between Balto and DC we experience a lot of that as well and I used to live in So Florida so I know what the beaches can do for traffic. How long does it take in season to drive from Rt 5 to Rt 1 on Rt 9? Does 5 get backed up going north to Milton? How about 30 to Millsboro (gotta shop a BJ's)?

I also spent an afternoon @ Irish Eyes in Milton and it seem like a nice pub. Couldn't get a real feel for the place because it was a slow afternoon. Any comments?

My last thing is I read a post that referred to "swamp gas" smell. Any comments?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 05:30 PM

80 posts, read 196,782 times
Hey Barbour!~ We just purchased a mobile home w/ land in Milton off of 16!~ QUIET STREET and we love it there. We are there on weekends only and I will live there in the summer only. I work in the schools so I have off for the summers. We just began taking 30 to 5 to 16 this past fall (south) and it has cut off 10 min or so of our trip!~ I can not speak of any other traffic though to Millsboro, etc. We do go to Irish Eyes in MILTON alot!~ I love it there. We were there this past Sat night and it was pretty dead though. FOOD IS OUT OF THIS WORLD as far as I am concerned. Summer concerts in the park at Milton are GREAT too. I love the town of Milton!~ Irish Eyes in much busier in the Summer. There is also a IE on the water in Lewes that is really great too!~ If you have any other Milton ? , just drop me a line. I also go to the beach at Cape Henlopen in the summmer. I do the drive on surf permit deal! ONLY
WAY to go as far as I'm concerned!~Lewes too is a great little town. EXPENSIVE shops but nice to walk around at!~ Traffic in the town of Lewes gets really clogged in the summer, esp on a Saturday!~
Lisa

Old 03-09-2011, 11:13 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
Rt 9 approaching 1 may get nasty. Rt 5 does not usually get backed up and 30 is still pretty much locals only no problem there. Watch you speed when going through Millsboro and Milton local police are VERY vigilant.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:25 AM

Default Speed Traps

I've heard about the speed traps. A buddy of mine got a ticket for going 40 in a 35 recently. Have to watch that. Both my wife and I are a little heavy on the gas peddle. She thinks the I95 signs are speed limit signs.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbour120 View Post
I've heard about the speed traps. A buddy of mine got a ticket for going 40 in a 35 recently. Have to watch that. Both my wife and I are a little heavy on the gas peddle. She thinks the I95 signs are speed limit signs.
In lower Delaware especially off season we have little traffic and open roads. It's not hard to roll above the speed limit if you are not watching. DSP has greatly increased our protection. in recent years. In all fairness a state trooper will not hide.Can't say that for some of the small town officiers.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:30 PM

30 posts, read 73,994 times
We relocated to Long Neck a little over a year ago and love it. Best move we ever could have made. I commute to Dover to work everyay. The traffic is nothing like you will be used to from DC. Route 1 and 113 are the worst. I am a loyal BJ's shopper and in the summer 113 can get pretty bad, to the point where you are not turning left until all traffic is stopped at a red light, becuase there will be absolutely no break. That is mainly due to OC traffic. You will have to get to the point where you can find back roads to get around in the summer.

Love Irish Eyes. However, I much prefer the Lewes location. To me, there is a big difference in cooking. Both locations have great specials uring the offseason.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhalt View Post
We relocated to Long Neck a little over a year ago and love it. Best move we ever could have made. I commute to Dover to work everyay. The traffic is nothing like you will be used to from DC. Route 1 and 113 are the worst. I am a loyal BJ's shopper and in the summer 113 can get pretty bad, to the point where you are not turning left until all traffic is stopped at a red light, becuase there will be absolutely no break. That is mainly due to OC traffic. You will have to get to the point where you can find back roads to get around in the summer.

Love Irish Eyes. However, I much prefer the Lewes location. To me, there is a big difference in cooking. Both locations have great specials uring the offseason.
jenhalt you must try the Italian Restaurant in the small strip across from County Bank. What area are you in on Long Neck? There are plenty of back roads. I work on Rt1 and very seldom ever drive on it.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:52 AM

9,725 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
jenhalt you must try the Italian Restaurant in the small strip across from County Bank. What area are you in on Long Neck? There are plenty of back roads. I work on Rt1 and very seldom ever drive on it.
longnecker.....We were in your area last week and remembered you recommended that restaurant. You are on it! We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner! Thanks!

Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 AM

30 posts, read 73,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
We pass that restaraunt on the way to Masseys all the time. Only reason we never stopped is we dont get home early enough usually to be here before the 6 p.m. Will defenitely try it though. We live by Harris Teeter right now, Victoria Landing TH's. We built a house in Stonewater, closing on the 30th. Cant wait !

Old 03-18-2011, 09:38 AM

When we were over there last month I saw a new Salt Air Kitchen was opening in Lewes just west of Rt. 1 on Rt. 9. Our real estate agent said it was a good restaurant. Any feedback?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware