Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 07:27 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,548 times

Advertisements

I just bought a kayak and I'd like a few opinions on the best places to kayak in my area for a beginner. I have been canoeing before (Ingram Pond in Millsboro), but it's been a few years. I'll be alone and won't really have anyone to help me out--don't want to get myself in trouble, you know.

I've been scoping out local waterways, and it appears that the Assawoman Canal would be great for a beginner since it has minimal boat traffic and weak currents. There are quite a few places to choose from in the Ocean View vicinity, but I was wondering if anyone had any kayaking experiences/advice for my area?? I am also thinking about hauling my kayak west to Trap Pond (Laurel), but I'm not too crazy about driving my 10mpg Jeep all the way over there. In all honesty, I'd love to buy a bike trailer for my kayak and just haul it around locally, but I fear I'd be run over this summer given many roads around here don't have much of a shoulder for bicyclists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 05:43 AM

728 posts, read 1,782,758 times
I've always wanted to do that with my camera gear in the bays...

Old 04-28-2011, 06:05 AM

Raven--that's actually one of the reasons I want to kayak! Like you, I LOVE to take pictures of the outdoors. I have a waterproof digital camera that I absolutely adore; I just bought a float for it so it can accompany me on my kayaking trips. I took about 75 pictures of underwater marine life last summer on our trip to the Dry Tortugas (west of Key West). I couldn't believe how well some of them turned out.

It looks like my husband is willing to give kayaking a try in the Assawoman Canal, but he cannot swim so he needs to stay in calm water with the shore nearby. Wish the water would warm up so we can give it a try....

Old 04-30-2011, 06:41 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,559,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I just bought a kayak and I'd like a few opinions on the best places to kayak in my area for a beginner. I have been canoeing before (Ingram Pond in Millsboro), but it's been a few years. I'll be alone and won't really have anyone to help me out--don't want to get myself in trouble, you know.

I've been scoping out local waterways, and it appears that the Assawoman Canal would be great for a beginner since it has minimal boat traffic and weak currents. There are quite a few places to choose from in the Ocean View vicinity, but I was wondering if anyone had any kayaking experiences/advice for my area?? I am also thinking about hauling my kayak west to Trap Pond (Laurel), but I'm not too crazy about driving my 10mpg Jeep all the way over there. In all honesty, I'd love to buy a bike trailer for my kayak and just haul it around locally, but I fear I'd be run over this summer given many roads around here don't have much of a shoulder for bicyclists.
I too like to kayak. Learned on a lake at a nearby state park in PA (after I learned how to swim at age 50!) I have also been ocean kayaking with a group. If you choose to kayak on your own ( but, with others nearby) do wear a whistle around your neck - so you can alert someone if you get into trouble.

Just like swimming, you should have a buddy system in case you get into trouble - or at least people nearby you can alert with your whistle. Carrying a cell phone in a plastic baggie might also be a good idea.

I understand that during the summer that there are several kayaking groups that go out into the marsh areas off the Fenwick area. You might consider joining a group of kayakers until you have little more experience.

If in three years you still need a buddy to go kayaking - look me up. With my move to the Lewes area in 2014 I do plan to kayak - but, it is just not safe to do it alone so I will be looking for someone in a similar situation. My idea of kayaking is slow paced with time to enjoy the wildlife and take a few pictures.

Mary2014

Old 04-30-2011, 08:47 AM

Thanks!! I will definitely bring my cell phone and carry a whistle. I'm going to try the Assawoman Canal first--less likely to "get in trouble" there. My husband is hoping to join me as well.

I'm moving to Cape Coral, Florida in June 2014, but thanks so much for the offer! I cannot wait to try out my new toy

Old 04-30-2011, 09:28 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
Hey beachliz, why not just head out through the Indian River Inlet on your kayak, that will put hair on your chest, lol.

Anyway, I just got back from Key West, I took my wife for her 40th birthday as a surprise and we loved it. Key West is loaded with people who went there on vacation and never came back.

We're still looking at St Johns county below Jacksonville and we're hoping to move in 2013.

Good luck and stay safe on your kayak.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:20 AM

OHHHH James, I am JEALOUS!!! I LOVE KEY WEST!!! We were there last July for a week (our third visit), and I had the time of my life. It is SO me. No rushing around, no stuffiness, no stuck up people....just a laid back feeling and plenty of outdoorsy activities. We even took a high speed catamaran to the Dry Tortugas and I went snorkeling for hours--best time of my life!! We considered living there, but year-round tourism would probably wear on me. So, we decided on Cape Coral. More jobs there too, even though I plan on only working part-time when we move.

The inlet-HA! Woah!! That would be a tale to tell, for sure.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
OHHHH James, I am JEALOUS!!! I LOVE KEY WEST!!! We were there last July for a week (our third visit), and I had the time of my life. It is SO me. No rushing around, no stuffiness, no stuck up people....just a laid back feeling and plenty of outdoorsy activities. We even took a high speed catamaran to the Dry Tortugas and I went snorkeling for hours--best time of my life!! We considered living there, but year-round tourism would probably wear on me. So, we decided on Cape Coral. More jobs there too, even though I plan on only working part-time when we move.

The inlet-HA! Woah!! That would be a tale to tell, for sure.
All the live music on Duval St was great, every bar had bands with different kinds of music. We went from Monday the 25th to Thursday, we got home thursday night and immediatly took the kids to Bush Gardens in Virginia for a day of fun on Friday. Busy, busy, week.

All those bars in Key West and we saw a total of two cops, Delaware doesn't have a police force large enough if we had places like that up here. No arguments while shopping, 0 ignorant people, it was like a different planet.

On our way home from Busch gardens last night we stopped at the Wawa in Milford and I was brought back to reality. Customers arguing about butting in line, an almost fight at the gas pumps has welcomed me home.

I'm hoping we can spend a week in Key West next year to do some more things like snorkeling.

Mallory square is it? Where everyone goes out to just watch the sunset. Awesome.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:55 AM

We stayed at the Key Lime Inn last year, which was within walking distance to Duval. We visited plenty of bars (prefer rock-n-roll music), and I always had plenty to drink.

You're right...it is a different world down there. The guy working the inn's front desk even gave me a free BIG bottle of Captain Morgan which was given to him by a guest. Spanish speaking people kept trying to speak Spanish to my husband --too funny. He's part Blackfoot...guess they thought he was Spanish.

Oh yes--Mallory Square!! We were there every night almost every night to see the performers and the sunset. I also found myself taking silly pictures with the statues nearby--LOL!! It's hard to behave sometimes.

I'd like to go there again this summer and go kayaking, but I think we're most likely spending all our money on a Caribbean getaway. And yes...I was brought back to reality when I visited Food Lion on a summer weekend after our return; I know the feeling you described after leaving Key West paradise. Ug.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:24 PM

I give alot of people credit for wanting to retire here in Delaware, my son had four baseball games in the first two weeks of April and only one was over 50 degrees, the rest were 45 and lower. I mean good grief its April and it was still cold, cloudy and dreary. I grew up right across the line in PA and I have lived here about 16 years.

Much like your husband, I'll miss it here like I'd miss grapefruit sized tumor behind my left eyeball.

Btw, I like rock music as well but there was a guy who played mostly country at Irish Kevins in Key West who is coming to Dewey in June or July, I think he's coming to the Starboard. He was really good for Country music that is.. He got a kick out of hearing we were from Delawhere?

Anyway, I must pm you later about the other place in Dewey, that has music. Are they having the reality show this summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware