Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 11:03 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,988,880 times

Advertisements

Then I suggest you re-examine the values you are trying to bequeath to your child. Flaunting money is gauche. I think you will find that overall Delaware is a place where in most contexts sex in the service the Rolls Royces and Pick-ups are parked together. There is a lot money around here: a good deal has been used in the service of silliness,folly and venality. Some has been put to great good works. Delaware is a Small Town. The old aristocracy are venerated for their charity and reviled when they F-up. Nothing stays hidden and at worst this is Peyton Place. Unless you have lived in small town USA, Delaware is going to prove a very different place for you, even if that isn't apparent for a period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 11:43 PM

148 posts, read 277,263 times
Good luck in that neighborhood. The median home price in that zip is about $800k according to Forbes.

However, Delaware is NOT a small town. Small state, yes. There's over 500,000 people in the county so the best neighborhoods are going to be grabbed up by the richest families. Your realtor/agent might be your best friend in this situation - especially involving older houses.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:34 AM

201 posts, read 414,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanggz View Post
Your judgement is a little harsh, but understandable. Me and my husband are looking for the best neighborhood that we can afford in order to provide our only son the best education opportunities. We both are first generation college graduates and we had to put so much more efforts to just get where our upper- middle class peers started.
Well, there's a basic grammar error you can't blame on your iPad's autocorrect.

I agree with doctorjef about you not fitting in well in Delaware with your attitude, although my hope is that living here does you some good. People -- regardless of income, which people here tend not to flaunt -- are very friendly and welcoming, without much pretense.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:58 PM

79 posts, read 119,433 times
I grew up in China until 18. My family's fortunate (grandparents' generation) was completely deprived by Chairman Mao's communist party. I traveled around the world and I probably experienced more than a life time worth of ups and downs of most American who grew up in suburb bubbles. Canada and US are great countries that provide everyone almost equal opportunities...however, good-will people here sometimes unconsciously love judging others from the very first moment they speak. Observe, learn, analyze, and then draw a conclusion based on the facts. Stay hungry, stay humble! That's the only path to prosperity.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:43 PM

319 posts, read 505,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanggz View Post
I grew up in China until 18. My family's fortunate (grandparents' generation) was completely deprived by Chairman Mao's communist party. I traveled around the world and I probably experienced more than a life time worth of ups and downs of most American who grew up in suburb bubbles. Canada and US are great countries that provide everyone almost equal opportunities...however, good-will people here sometimes unconsciously love judging others from the very first moment they speak. Observe, learn, analyze, and then draw a conclusion based on the facts. Stay hungry, stay humble! That's the only path to prosperity.
hanggz,

" I traveled around the world and I probably experienced more than a life time worth of ups and downs of most American who grew up in suburb bubble"

The perceived judgement that you find so objectionable came across very much so in the aforementioned statement. There are many on this board and across the state that have arrived to this time and place along very many different
paths. You have certainly not cornered the market on struggle and hardship. I congratulate you on the success
you enjoy.

I encourage you to become acquainted with people in social work and on the state police force and learn about
how real struggle looks for some growing up "in suburban bubbles." There are adults who have
prospered despite being molested and tortured (literally) as children, bouncing from home to couch to home,
who had themselves as children to raise other children while tiptoeing around drug addicted parents. When
these kids turn 18, they are left to fend for themselves. Yes, all this happens in the "suburban bubbles."

I encourage you to celebrate your success and also get to know the area, the people, and try to relax.

I'll leave it to you to find the originator of the following quote "money shouts, but wealth whispers"

Old 04-19-2014, 08:40 PM

Agree. Both my grandfathers were tortured to death by communist party, simply because they were business owners. Hope this will never happen to people in this country. That being said, I believe everyone should contribute to the common good of the society, helping people who are in need. At each socio-economic level, there are "good" and "bad" citizens. Judging people by how much they make is irrational. My intention is to find my son a safe neighborhood where he can receive good education. I am sure we will enjoy Delaware and grow some roots here. Life is too short to be unhappy.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:59 PM

123 posts, read 203,904 times
hanggz your last post has told a lot more about yourself, than just your initial posting. I think you will do just great in the area. The "pearls of wisdom" rendered by posters on this thread, were based upon a books cover & not its contents.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:33 PM

Thank you, PylesFord! I am very glad to hear that. My husband will pick me and my son up in 2 weeks and we will move the first week of May. We are very excited to be Delaware residents.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:28 AM

8 posts, read 9,753 times
Thanks for the information, this is really a good news.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:18 AM

I would like to present the results of due diligent we conducted in Westover Hill neighborhood real estate market. From the data collected for the past 12 months, there is an average 30% difference between asking and final sale price, which is huge comparing to NY. I wonder if this is the common practice in DE.

Property Date First Listed List Price Date Sold Sold Price

911 Augusta Nov 2012 $1.525M Sept 2013 $1.04M
904 Dupont June 2010 $2.295M April 2014 $1.525M
1103 Hopeton Feb 2013 $1.25M Oct. 2013 $950k
806 Essex Feb 2013 $950k May 2013 $925k
710 Princeton Rd. April 2013 $915k January 2014 $735k
903 Edgehill Feb. 2012 $1.225M Nov 2013 $960k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: