Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 10:43 PM

5 posts, read 4,998 times

Advertisements

Hello All - I just got a job at the Christiana Hospital in Newark and have been down to visit the area a couple of times. I have not found anything impressive in Newark (main street is fun, but the college kids may get old after a while).
I am a 24 year old female looking to live in a fun but safe area! (I currently live in the middle of nowhere NJ and need a change). I am looking for other young people, stores, restaurants, etc.
I have seen many suggestions for Trolley Square in Wilmington. Rentals seem to be harder to find there since the majority are private rentals, but I have sent some emails out via craigslist. I also like the riverfront area.
I recently came across the downtown New Castle area. Have not visited it yet, but it seems cute from what I can find online. I love the historic and downtown feel- and I like that it's on the river. I don't know how big the area is though or about safety/parking. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 12:58 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,079 times
Here's a definition of Old New Castle, which is the area that charmed you. Historic New Castle Delaware
From my limited knowledge, rentals are hard to come by and what's available will be quite expensive. There's not much in the way of a commercial district. Not sure there's much for people your age, either. But it would be a great commute.

The ZIP code for New Castle covers a considerably larger area, and a lot of that is not a desirable place to live.

The Newark mailing address covers a couple (at least) ZIP codes, and lots of that area is miles and miles from the City of Newark. But there's no other downtown/town center besides Newark's Main Street. Which, as you've correctly noted, tends to be very student-oriented.

Trolley Square probably is where you want to be, unless you're willing to consider commuting from Philadelphia. That would have to be by car, and it could get really old, especially in winter.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:30 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
Unless you can afford to live in Old New Castle, I would stay away from that area. Battery Park is not safe after dark and there really is not good shopping even though there are a few restaurants that are very good.

I know a few young people who live at St. Andrews in Bear and they like it. I would also check out Greenville Place Apartments. I have known people who lived there and they liked it. There are several apartment complexes near the hospital but they do not have great reputations.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of sketchy areas, even close to Trolley Square and Little Italy. The commute from Philly can be horrendous.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Unless you can afford to live in Old New Castle, I would stay away from that area. Battery Park is not safe after dark and there really is not good shopping even though there are a few restaurants that are very good.

I know a few young people who live at St. Andrews in Bear and they like it. I would also check out Greenville Place Apartments. I have known people who lived there and they liked it. There are several apartment complexes near the hospital but they do not have great reputations.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of sketchy areas, even close to Trolley Square and Little Italy. The commute from Philly can be horrendous.

Thank you for your suggestion! I actually went to check out Greenville Place. They are definitely older, but really nice and obviously in a safe area. A couple of walkable stores and close to Trolley Square. I am absolutely keeping them in mind.

I do like the Trolley Square area- I looked close to the center but it is too congested for me. The 2 hour street parking is ridiculous. I don't know where someone is supposed to park if they come to visit! But my friend lives a little northwest of Trolley square and loves it. She says there's no limitations on street parking and much less congested, but still walkable to the area. The rentals there seem to be slim pickings, however. I've been hunting on realtor websites and craigslist with only a couple finds (within my price range, which I thought was pretty generous). I've heard this is a bad time to look, but I can't help this is when I got my job offer! lol

Old 09-01-2014, 06:58 AM

I also checked out Old New Castle- the cute downtown area is very small.... the surrounding area... not my cup of tea!

Old 09-03-2014, 02:41 PM

820 posts, read 1,208,957 times
Near University of Delaware would be your best bet for entertainment otherwise Wilmington which isn't the most pleasant place to reside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware