Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:39 AM

30 posts, read 60,136 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I have been trying to find employment in the Milton/Lewes area; however, a lot of the companies want us to relocate first and then apply for the positions. We need to be sure that we have jobs prior to our move, since we will have a mortgage to pay for. Any suggestions and/or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 01:12 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,578,594 times
What field are you in?

Just an FYI, I looked for accountant jobs in Southern DE a few years before I retired to Lewes in 2014. I was originally living in SE PA. The same job I was doing in SE PA paid about 40% higher than similar jobs in Southern DE. I had to wait until I retired in order to afford to live here.

If you work in the medical field you should have no problem finding employment. Other fields, you may be surprised how much lower the pay scale is compared to where you live now.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:25 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,239,246 times
Other than the medical fields or the chicken processing industry there are few year around jobs with benefits. What type of jobs are you interested in?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:31 AM

My Husband is a Printer (Pressman) and I work in the Commercial/Personal Lines Insurance business. We have sent out our resumes and all the Insurance companies that have responded back to me want me to contact them after I relocate.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:27 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,445,832 times
Thumbs up difficult situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten2014 View Post
My Husband is a Printer (Pressman) and I work in the Commercial/Personal Lines Insurance business. We have sent out our resumes and all the Insurance companies that have responded back to me want me to contact them after I relocate.

I would be very wary of moving and then having to look for a job. I know it is hard to job-hunt from a distance, but I have known many people in my area who have spent many months sending out resumes, going on interviews, follow-up interviews and then hearing nothing from the prospective employer. To go thru this, after having spent the money to move and facing bills would be a stressful situation. I don't know your age range, but a lot of people over 50 or so really have a hard time getting a new job. Do you live close enough to your prospective home area to maybe stay in a residence inn type place (long term motel with a kitchen) and go down for a few weeks and job hunt? Or one of you could obtain a job and move and then the other job-hunt.

Good luck! Glad I am retired and no longer have these sorts of problems.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:51 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,419,637 times
I think at this time of year the only jobs available will be seasonal unless the hospitals, med centers, and/or physician offices are hiring. I was surprised last week when I was in Rehoboth at how many businesses are looking for seasonal help. One business that I frequent quite a few times a year actually offered me a job when I was in there, which I turned down since I don't live at the beach and there is no free parking.

One other option might be something with the area school districts, even though they are also cutting back. Most need good office help in many capacities. The vo-tech districts may even have a need for people to teach printing or to teach in the business areas and can help with certification.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:10 PM

Thank you everyone for your comments. Has given me food for thought. Will talk things over with Hubby tonight.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:40 PM

789 posts, read 1,104,131 times
I work in the engineering world and there is no shortage of opportunities in the industry and those related in coastal DE. Specialized industries aren't too difficult to find work in. Not many people around here have those skills and degrees.

I wouldn't completely discount the seasonal nature of the economy, especially if you have a degree. Just because the activity is seasonal doesn't necessarily mean the position is. My gf has a 'seasonal'-oriented job that ends up being a lot more than 3 months of work.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:00 AM

SMXGirl, great idea on the School Districts and Vo-Tech Schools! I have excellent clerical skills and I have always told my Husband that with his wealth of knowledge in the Printing business, he would be a great Teacher. Neither one of us has anything other than a High School education (Business) and Technical School (Printing). What are the School Districts & Vo-Tech Schools in Sussex County?

We have decided to sell our home and rent in Delaware for a year to give us a chance to find good jobs.

Any good Townhouses with first floor living and 2nd/3rd bedrooms on 2nd floor in Lewes/Milton area?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:49 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,419,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten2014 View Post
SMXGirl, great idea on the School Districts and Vo-Tech Schools! I have excellent clerical skills and I have always told my Husband that with his wealth of knowledge in the Printing business, he would be a great Teacher. Neither one of us has anything other than a High School education (Business) and Technical School (Printing). What are the School Districts & Vo-Tech Schools in Sussex County?

We have decided to sell our home and rent in Delaware for a year to give us a chance to find good jobs.

Any good Townhouses with first floor living and 2nd/3rd bedrooms on 2nd floor in Lewes/Milton area?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.
I have no idea what the requirements are for Sussex or for any of Delaware's vo-techs. I was a regular public school teacher (business) in Delaware and Pennsylvania, but I was a vo-tech teacher in New Jersey. When I started in South Jersey, you did not need a college degree to teach a vocational subject and our printing program was very popular. However, at some point I think everyone had to be at least working towards a degree. If I am not mistaken, they also had classes about insurance (I was a computer and legal teacher there). Check out programs at both vo-tech and regular public high schools. Many regular high schools are trying to keep their students in-house and not send them to voc-ee. It's all about the money.

You might also look into the requirements to be a Para-Professional. Not a lot of money, but great State benefits and you work the school schedule.

Try this link (I hope it works!) and take a look at the schools. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

https://www.sussexcountyde.gov/public-schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: