Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 11:51 AM

300 posts, read 239,000 times

Advertisements

Who controls the Hospitality industry rates in Delaware? In most states, the State controls it.

The reason why I am asking is because I went to spend a night at the Day's Inn, route 13, in Seaford, and this is what I witnessed.

I tried to make a reservation the night before directly with the hotel, but was unable to for reasons unknown. Then I called them back, and they told me that it was possible their web site had problems. Then I called the Corporation directly, and made a reservation for one night at $71.20 plus tax. Are they supposed to charge me tax?

The next day, a man walked into the lobby, and asked for a room. He was offered a King- size bed for over $200. I was nearby, and was astounded by this taking place in front of me. I had a two-bed room with all the necessities for $71.20, and he was paying over two hundred dollars, plus tax, for a king- size one. The man appeared exhausted, so he agreed to it. Then, I looked into the table where they were doing the transaction, and saw that they were keeping a tally showing all the high prices they were charging. There were people that paid over $300 dollars plus. I would consider this hotel in the same category as Motel 6, with no frills.

This hotel, owned by foreigners from the country of India. is ripping people off. Has anyone else had an experience like this in this corridor?

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 12:42 PM

13,058 posts, read 18,137,639 times
I can only offer one idea and I do not know if this applies in this particular situation or not. I believe all DI's are individually owned and operated and therefore can set their own rates. Perhaps, you got a "corporate" rate and the others were the walk in rate. To reiterate, I do NOT know if this is the case here or not.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:08 PM

374 posts, read 518,006 times
Interesting story that prompted me to go to Days Inn website and check their rates. Showed no rooms available for tomorrow, but when I randomly plugged in September 1st it quoted $89.99.

Having traveled a lot for business (and pleasure) over the years, I have always been amazed at the wide discrepancy in room rates for the same hotel. In fact, if you've seen the ads for Trivago (or other hotel aggregator sites), this is essentially their entire business. They presumably scour the web to find the various rates for the same hotel room you want and present your alternatives.

Some states like Pennsylvania have a requirement that the "maximum" room rate be posted in the room so travelers know that they haven't been charged above the maximum, but it is usually several times what the actual everyday rates are. I've stayed in many a room for $89 that had room rates of $450 posted. I know when I checked into an Omaha Embassy Suites during the College World Series two years ago, the room (with corporate rate) that I always paid $119 for was suddenly $320. Chalk it up to the good old American business principal of supply-and-demand!

Old 08-27-2015, 01:47 PM

47,545 posts, read 6,403,193 times
Wow .. that's awful that people get taken advantage of like that!

It definitely pays to make reservations online (and compare rates), or at the very least, to pick up one of those coupon books that are so common in rest stops (at least in the south. I'm not sure if those coupon books are prevalent in your part of the country).

Old 08-27-2015, 01:50 PM

927 posts, read 760,532 times
They post a 450$ rate because they're trying to make you think that's the normal rate. Very common with third worlders. Who are very anxious to prove they're "not homeless."

Old 08-27-2015, 02:01 PM

927 posts, read 760,532 times
If the phone rang and someone was watching something good on tv, my coworkers would say 'We're full.' If someone was known to be trouble, we say 'We're full.' If someone was trouble, we call the other hotels and warn them. It amazes me that people don't ever think that's going to happen. They'll let you in but they've been warned beforehand.
The owner is always running the front desk in the morning because they do the checkouts so handle the money. They always give you the highest price. Judging on how the person looked they guess how much they could afford. Prices always go up if you look like you can afford it. Thats a third world thing. Then you go out on the street and get panhandled to death. So you have to dress down on the street.
Also in third world countries there is no middle class. There's only rich and then there's poor. If you can travel you're automatically rich.
Also they really do believe in America everyones rich, the streets are paved with gold. We don't consider ourselves rich but they do.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:09 PM

13,058 posts, read 18,137,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
If the phone rang and someone was watching something good on tv, my coworkers would say 'We're full.' If someone was known to be trouble, we say 'We're full.' If someone was trouble, we call the other hotels and warn them. It amazes me that people don't ever think that's going to happen. They'll let you in but they've been warned beforehand.
The owner is always running the front desk in the morning because they do the checkouts so handle the money. They always give you the highest price. Judging on how the person looked they guess how much they could afford. Prices always go up if you look like you can afford it. Thats a third world thing. Then you go out on the street and get panhandled to death. So you have to dress down on the street.
Also in third world countries there is no middle class. There's only rich and then there's poor. If you can travel you're automatically rich.
Also they really do believe in America everyones rich, the streets are paved with gold. We don't consider ourselves rich but they do.
I don't know where you did this city wise or how long ago but that could be grounds for discriminatory practice in these super litigious society. I know it might be tough to prove but I am sure that someone will at some point.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:54 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,220,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
Who controls the Hospitality industry rates in Delaware? In most states, the State controls it.

Here in the beach area of Delaware competition controls the rates. Most hotels are computerized and the desk clerk has little control over the rate. What the OP is describing at Day's Inn sounds like someone is pocketing money. Rates do vary greatly by season and day of the week.
Almost forgot to add. Yes there is an 8% occupancy tax.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:57 AM

405 posts, read 676,593 times
travelcoupons-dot-com/ are a pretty good resource for motel/hotel discounts.
I saw the travelers coupon books at the PA welcome center north of Wilminton.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:01 PM

300 posts, read 239,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
travelcoupons-dot-com/ are a pretty good resource for motel/hotel discounts.
I saw the travelers coupon books at the PA welcome center north of Wilminton.
For these coupons, one has to be in the hotel before 5pm. And on many occasions, they do not accept that rate, especially, if they are looking to get more money from you. so they simply tell you, that there are no rooms for that rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware