Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 04:39 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,698 times

Advertisements

Just days after the Paris attacks by muslim extremist that killed over 130 people. I just read that while over half of the nations governors / states do not want to accept new Syrian immigrants Delaware is going to welcome them.

How do Delaware residents feel about this?

Old 11-18-2015, 05:37 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Hi NJboy!
My opinion? I've said to Governor Markell, There's a difference between being compassionate and protecting Delawareans, which is his primary job. His personal thoughts should not interfere with his duty as Governor.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:49 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
As an emergency preparedness volunteer we are told to "do no harm", it absolutely stuns me that in the absence of good methodology to vett out those that might harm us, we will still allow refugees of all ethnic groups enter our country. If we don't have that then we are not protected, no matter what state we are speaking about.

As a native NY'er who many times stared at the Statue of Liberty and read her inscription, "Give me your tired, your poor your huddled massing yearning to breathe free," I believe that if Emma Lazarus were alive today that poem might be very different.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:04 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
The process of vetting refugees and actually resettling them falls strictly under the purview of the federal government, and under the remit of the executive branch in particular. After a process that takes as long as two years (remember: this isn't the EU), refugees are to be resettled where local social service organisations have the capacity to take them. The sillier thing is governors of some states posturing that they refuse to allow Syrian refugees into their states: they simply have no such authority. I personally agree with Gov. Markell. However, as a practical matter that really isn't the point. Syrian refugees will be resettled in the USA, though nothing will occur very fast; unless, of course, the US Congress repeals some now quite old legislation that specifically authorises the President to admit refugees into the country. I suspect that with a prolonged delay in vetting candidates for resettlement, much of the current consternation will have blown over, though I suppose one should never underestimate the capacity of the American public to find things about which to be offended these days.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:32 AM

789 posts, read 1,096,408 times
I feel great about it. Wish our gov thought the same way. My entire family is refugees. Most of you probably descended from refugees who came here at some point in time.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:34 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
I feel great about it. Wish our gov thought the same way. My entire family is refugees. Most of you probably descended from refugees who came here at some point in time.
I have it on good authority that when my English and French ancestors came over the pond, they were not wearing suicide vests. Nor were they carrying AK-47s.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:00 PM

789 posts, read 1,096,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I have it on good authority that when my English and French ancestors came over the pond, they were not wearing suicide vests. Nor were they carrying AK-47s.
You don't remember them coming here with muskets and cannons, setting up massive forts, declaring manifest destiny and killing Native Americans? Or did you mean to say that you were part of the Irish and Italian immigrant stage, which brought organized crime, mobs and paramilitary connections.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-19-2015 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: removed rude comment

Old 11-18-2015, 01:39 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
While I feel for those fleeing Syria for their lives I would like to see none coming to Delaware. The Boston bombers were immigrants and one of those in the recent Paris attack was an immigrant carrying a Syrian passport. We have seen many reports of attacks around the world in resort areas. The Delaware beach area with packed hotels and restaurants on a holiday weekend would be a great target. No need to actually move them into the area.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:25 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,423,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Just days after the Paris attacks by muslim extremist that killed over 130 people. I just read that while over half of the nations governors / states do not want to accept new Syrian immigrants Delaware is going to welcome them.

How do Delaware residents feel about this?
I don't want them, but it's nothing short of hilarious that all these governors think they have a say in the matter. The Feds make those decisions and thats where it ends. The Gov's want to make a stink about it, just like everything else, the feds will start closing the wallet on them and then they shut up.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:52 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
You don't remember them coming here with muskets and cannons, setting up massive forts, declaring manifest destiny and killing Native Americans? Or did you mean to say that you were part of the Irish and Italian immigrant stage, which brought organized crime, mobs and paramilitary connections.
Right, there was no crime till the Irish and Italians came over.

BTW, my ancestors were legal immigrants, and waited their turn like most Europeans.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-19-2015 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: removed snide remarks, orphaned comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware