Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 01:29 PM

314 posts, read 555,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
Innocent until proven guilty. That's a pillar of America we should never change, even if you aren't personally pleased with the speed in which these investigators are moving, or the results.
Yes, we are all innocent until proven guilty, and yes this should receive a fair trail. But at the time the girl was beaten to death, an arrest should of been made, regardless of what hearsay claims otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 01:46 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
There has to be probable cause that one or more of those other students caused her death. Right now, it appears that they are not sure. No one should be arrested unless there is enough evidence to prove culpability. I am certain that once they know the facts, and if the facts show that others caused her death in any way, that the person or persons responsible will be arrested. However, how they are charged really depends on the prosecutor.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:49 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
public school has always been one the most dangerous places to be, lots of bad kids at school, very stressful , somebody is always trying to mess with you in school.

Im glad I made it through , I almost got beaten to death myself when I was a kid.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:34 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
There has to be probable cause that one or more of those other students caused her death. Right now, it appears that they are not sure. No one should be arrested unless there is enough evidence to prove culpability. I am certain that once they know the facts, and if the facts show that others caused her death in any way, that the person or persons responsible will be arrested. However, how they are charged really depends on the prosecutor.
Apparently there are witness' and cell phone videos. How could they not at least be charged with assault?

Old 04-23-2016, 05:48 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
This is nauseating and tragic. RIP young lady. May justice be served.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Apparently there are witness' and cell phone videos. How could they not at least be charged with assault?
First, the autopsy has not been done so we have no cause of death. To charge anyone until that is determined is irresponsible. The witnesses are high school students and there is a "no snitch" policy among many of them. The hope is that they will be truthful so that justice can be done, but high school is a time where allegiances are not always to the right people. Obviously, at a minimum, the students who were in the bathroom know what happened. That does not mean that the police know who everyone was who was there. With so much commotion, a student could easily sneak out of the bathroom with their phone and delete the video.

The wait for the results will take at least 72 hours and, when they are in, an arrest probably would be made. No one wants someone charged if they are innocent. Emotions are running high, but something like this takes time to get it right.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:34 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
What a lovely school that must be. This is what happens when family breakdown is the norm in a community.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:47 PM

Howard High School is part of the vocational school district and has a very good reputation. The victim comes from a two-parent family and was very active in school as well as being an honor roll student. Unfortunately, this happens in every part of the country, not just in impoverished areas like Wilmington.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:59 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,026,129 times
I'm shocked no one has been arrested yet for this young girl losing her life.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:19 PM

319 posts, read 504,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Howard High School is part of the vocational school district and has a very good reputation. The victim comes from a two-parent family and was very active in school as well as being an honor roll student. Unfortunately, this happens in every part of the country, not just in impoverished areas like Wilmington.
I understand what you mean, but it does not excuse it whether it is a child from a tony suburb, a child from the poorest of neighborhoods, a child from a stable family, or a child from a broken home.

The part about this that saddens me the most is that I am not in the least bit surprised. It rests on the parents of the killers (and I say that specifically) and the environment around them that condones and rewards antisocial behavior. Upon first learning about the incident, my first reaction was to check if the school had a Facebook page and watch the chatter that appeared. Bits and pieces of information were mentioned by a number of people who posted. Absolutely, over time the posts have been deleted, changed, or modified.

I've had opportunity to work with young people (teens- early 20's) on occasion. Sometimes I have asked, what is it like to be a kid these days. I learn about things such as the following.

Among a very small segment of young people there's a depraved practice to target peers for no other reason than they are simply "there," violently physically assault the person, film the attack, and post the video in a public forum. For example, if someone "thinks he or she is cute" they can be targeted simply because the assailants want to "see them cry" or want to humiliate them. Or, perhaps the person is quiet and keeps to him or her-self, then targeted. Or perhaps, he or she "thinks he's so smart" then the person is targeted.
Or perhaps someone was embarrassed or the dreaded "disrespected" by another child,then the embarrassed or "disrespected" child exacts his or her vengeance by targeting. Or a child has an argument or dispute, then the other party is targeted.

A significant percentage of young people today never learned conflict resolution skills, never learned how to disagree, never build a strong foundation for self esteem and are ready to go from zero to extreme violence as a first course of action.

I witnessed it myself personally while taking a break in Christiana Mall.
Two young women were sitting at a table near me in the food court. They were talking about usual teenager stuff (I assume they were teenage but who really knows). They see a young woman, a stranger to them, walking wearing blond hi lights in her hair. One turns to the other and says, "Ohh she thinks she's cute I ought to tear that weave right off of her head" and the two start laughing. Mind you the stranger doesn't know them, has done nothing to them, and simply was walking by them.

Another time after parking, I exited my vehicle and was in the process of retrieving a shopping bag and a young man was trying to back into the space next to my car. He was on a trajectory to collide with my vehicle, so I literally said "hold on, hold on, hold on, please hold on!" The young man immediately stopped and started cursing profanities at me (I will not repeat it) while leaning out of his window ready for a fight. I calmly said "young man, calm down, I'm trying to help you. You're about to hit my car. So, why don't you go forward." Then I helped guide him into the space.

If you check the State of Delaware's statistics collected for that very high school, for the most recently completed academic year (2014-2015) a full 17% of the student body has been suspended or expelled and
7 have committed School Crimes (described by Delaware Title Code 4112).

At the end of a day, a young woman was targeted for violent assault and died, dare I say murdered as it took planning to target her, get her to a bathroom for isolation, and to film it. From news stories, she was "jumped" by a group. From Facebook chatter, somebody filmed it.

The depravity exhibited by the victim's attackers is an example of a larger issue. For that the, so called, adults around them bear some culpability, culpability for not building their self esteem, for not teaching them conflict resolution, for fostering an environment where escalation to violence is a first course of action for dealing with every day life's interactions.

Last edited by newmassphd; 04-23-2016 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: fixed typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware