Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 03:56 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Soulsurv-

Come and be my neighbor in Greenwood. We have town water/sewer, natural gas heat, are in upper Sussex AND lower Kent, and 15 minutes to Milford. In town, you can walk to the bank, library, post office, great coffee shop, and several other things (I hope you like pizza, it's the official second cuisine here). There are houses (needing work, I can't lie) for as low as $49k and better-kept ones under $100k. And if you promise not to say I told you so, you could lowball some of the ones on sale and do OK.

WOW...I'm on it! I'll wait a bit because the ones I see at the moment all have electric and propane. Is it expensive to "run the lines" to your home? It used to be free here in SE PA - now it's astronomical! Just curious if you home came with Central Air?

Last edited by soulsurv; 03-29-2018 at 04:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 07:50 AM

182 posts, read 247,781 times
Default What were your issues with the area?

Just asking, I visited Milton , Lewes , RB area. I have to admit I see the good and bad of the areas. The good is the property taxes are much better, people seem nice, and at least during out of season , not a lot of noise etc .. and I love the ocean small town feel ! Negatives, I think MD were I'm at near Annapolis is more expensive but much more attractive with respect to topology and things to do , and great healthcare. I know south DE is starting to ramp up in the healthcare part which is nice. I also see after you get out of the beach areas like going west on RT 16 etc ... looks like no-mans land! But no place is perfect. Anyway, love to hear your issues and the do's and don'ts of moving to that area for us possible newbe's!

Old 03-29-2018, 08:07 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
[/b]

WOW...I'm on it! I'll wait a bit because the ones I see at the moment all have electric and propane. Is it expensive to "run the lines" to your home? It used to be free here in SE PA - now it's astronomical! Just curious if you home came with Central Air?
Based on previous info shared, I definitely think Greenwood might work for you. I am not familiar with home prices in western Kent Co, but you should also investigate places such as Hartly, Marydel and Sandtown.

And please feel free to ask any question you have. There are some very helpful posters here, as you know.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:56 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
[/b]

I don't know the cost, but if I ever have the money, I intend to get my stove converted to gas. What you could do is call the two power companies that serve the area. One is Chesapeake Utilities and the other is Delmarva Power. I haven't called because I have other issues to resolve first. But that's just what I was trying to say: everything has become astronomical. Gas itself is 10x what it once was, too. Maybe an area realtor would have a clue, too.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:26 AM

439 posts, read 425,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglo1 View Post
Just asking, I visited Milton , Lewes , RB area. I have to admit I see the good and bad of the areas. The good is the property taxes are much better, people seem nice, and at least during out of season , not a lot of noise etc .. and I love the ocean small town feel ! Negatives, I think MD were I'm at near Annapolis is more expensive but much more attractive with respect to topology and things to do , and great healthcare. I know south DE is starting to ramp up in the healthcare part which is nice. I also see after you get out of the beach areas like going west on RT 16 etc ... looks like no-mans land! But no place is perfect. Anyway, love to hear your issues and the do's and don'ts of moving to that area for us possible newbe's!

We are in the same situation. Spent many vacations in Sussex County from childhood through adulthood so the area is comfortable to us. Maryland taxes are high and no decent exclusions for IRA withdrawals. However, we have to weigh the amenities of the MD location. Good hospitals (and many choices), great airport and shopping. We could learn to deal with the airport and are encouraged by expanding healthcare. But, I know we would miss things like Target, Kohl's, Costco etc in Sussex County. Through all of this research I think we have learned we have to weigh our options and decide what will make us happy. For years, we would laugh when people told us "you are 15 minutes from everything" and now have have the tough decision of if we want to leave the convenience. Good luck in your search!

Old 03-29-2018, 11:39 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglo1 View Post
If you want quiet, this is the place. I haven't heard an airplane go overhead since I moved here. People are just as friendly here, but it's 30 miles in any direction - E to Lewes, W to Easton on the Chesapeake Bay, N to Dover, S to Salisbury MD - to anything. So, effectively, this is the middle of nowhere, or so I tell people. But it's also the last small town on a main road not awash in fast food joints and strip malls.

The towns along no-man's land Rt. 16 each have things to offer if you know they're there. Milton has an arts community, local theatre, and is the home of Dogfish Head Brewery, which offers tours and a cafe. There's a Cajun restaurant, well rated, along in another town, and a few other bits along there including an alpaca farm that sells yarn, ice cream made with milk from a local dairy farm, and a good farm stand. That's one road and I missed a few things for sure.

I once remarked to a local how far you have to drive to everything and she said Well, that's life on the peninsula. And so it is, but the roads are in good condition, and easy to drive, straight and flat. If you want to work, they don't blink about your age, it's fine. And I hate to see perfectly nice houses sitting empty while everyone goes on a mad building frenzy at the beach. That frenzied sense is what I left behind and I don't miss it.

Don't know what else to tell anyone; ask questions if you have any.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:13 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
I don't blame you one bit for demanding public utilities. I grew up with sewer/water and never knew what a pita (expensive one too!) a well/septic could be until I moved here. We had this awful mound septic and a deep well. The mound septic is gone because they ran sewer here over ten years ago which cost us big $$$ (thousands) to hook up to and get rid of the mound, but we still have well water. It's hard water loaded with iron and nitrates and other crap. I won't drink it or let my pets drink it either. We have spent over $2K EACH on whole house water conditioners. We had to get a new one a few years ago. It definitely helps, but I'll never have well water again. Ever....unless I somehow fulfill my dream of owning 100+ acres and even then I'd look for an area that has public utilities. Just my two cents as somebody who has been there.....

Old 03-29-2018, 12:25 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,165 times
ALL great responses-just have to put my haad down, grit my teeth, and get on with it. Thanks all SO much!

Old 03-31-2018, 06:11 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Ok how about this, from what I can glean from above, you need a place that is:

a house as opposed to a townhome or condo, that heats with electric, with a septic system and city/county water, in a non 55+ community, for a budget of $150K max, in lower Kent or upper Sussex County but not near Dover AFB.

So why not try posting this and see if you get any responses. You have narrowed it down a whole lot more than you think you have. I have one suggestion that comes to mind, that might hit the budget points, how about a manufactured home? I am not very well versed in areas of De. not close to the beach, but there may be others who can help. BTW, in my case the choice was easy, I had Comcast or Comcast, unless I wanted Direct TV and slow internet.
Remember manufactured homes depreciate in value..You get a title for them just like a car. Many manufactured homes are on leased ground with rates that will go up every year. Some of the upscale one have very restricted eases and offer a lot. Some just rent the land and you are on your own including no control over the neighborhood.. I have lived in a great mobile home development for 25 years now. I believe my monthly ground rent is more than it was annually when I moved here.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:34 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Remember manufactured homes depreciate in value..You get a title for them just like a car. Many manufactured homes are on leased ground with rates that will go up every year. Some of the upscale one have very restricted eases and offer a lot. Some just rent the land and you are on your own including no control over the neighborhood.. I have lived in a great mobile home development for 25 years now. I believe my monthly ground rent is more than it was annually when I moved here.
Flashback: We bought a 160 acre farm, great sassafras soils, all clear land, in Clayton, DE for $42,500 in the 60's. Now, a half acre lot in that area goes for about $40,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware