Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 02:55 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
So gold, just so you may bask in my wisdom(don’t listen to anything rdlr or nuts says about me. I am a...wise guy!), the old adage of location, location, location still holds true. When we started our house search, we were determined to get a house with a basement, sewers, and city water. We saw a lot of houses, and it was only when we widened our search to include homes that did not meet all three requirements, that we finally found the house we are in now. As it turns out, we do not have a basement or sewers or water. What we do have is an acre in a real nice, 21 home sub division, all wooded behind me, and some great neighbors. If we had stood firmly by our original plans, we never would have looked at this house. We still drive by several homes that we almost chose, that had all three things we wanted. We realize now that we would not have been happy in any of those locations.

My point is, don’t be too inflexible about what you want. You can make a lot of improvements to your home, change things to make it more to your liking, but you better be happy with where you are, cause that ain’t gonna change.

If you go to the Dollar tree they sell the large bottles of water, much better for showering than having to open all those little bottles. Finding a home with water might have been a better choice, I might suggest. Now, take that from a wise gal !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 09:01 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,924 times
I bought my place sight unseen till the day of the closing. I had just been in Delaware on a house-hunt, went back home and other buyers got deposits in before me. Then my realtor called me and says a place just was listed. She went to see it the next day and called to tell me it was perfect and - most important to me - quiet. I sent a deposit the next day. It is nicer than any of the places I looked at earlier. I absolutely love it.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:29 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
How are the mosquitos in the Dover area. I did a google drive-by further downstate and saw that there are mosquito control firms down there. With DE being so flat, coastal and moist I suspect there are a many mosquitos, just trying to figure out if it's a really big problem.

My electric bill here in the Phoenix area of AZ will probably be $650.00 per month for July and August.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:44 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Town of Wyoming, near Dover: Not one mosquito seen here this year at our place. Our electric bill for June was $64.20.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:57 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,548 times
Retiree2011--Wow, that is impressive--and brazen!--to buy a house sight unseen. Sounds like it turned out well for you though, and that is what matters most.

Rdlr--We have plenty of mosquitoes here in OV if you need any. They were horrific the last couple months, although they are finally dwindling now that we have had less rain.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:16 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
If you go to the Dollar tree they sell the large bottles of water, much better for showering than having to open all those little bottles. Finding a home with water might have been a better choice, I might suggest. Now, take that from a wise gal !!!!
There’s always a comedian in the crowd.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
How are the mosquitos in the Dover area. I did a google drive-by further downstate and saw that there are mosquito control firms down there. With DE being so flat, coastal and moist I suspect there are a many mosquitos, just trying to figure out if it's a really big problem.

My electric bill here in the Phoenix area of AZ will probably be $650.00 per month for July and August.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Town of Wyoming, near Dover: Not one mosquito seen here this year at our place. Our electric bill for June was $64.20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Retiree2011--Wow, that is impressive--and brazen!--to buy a house sight unseen. Sounds like it turned out well for you though, and that is what matters most.

Rdlr--We have plenty of mosquitoes here in OV if you need any. They were horrific the last couple months, although they are finally dwindling now that we have had less rain.
Mike, as you can see, it really depends where you are. I will add that there are plenty of other nasties that will bite you even if the squiters aren’t too bad.

I assume your electric goes way down in the winter.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:29 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,266,863 times
We have no mosquitoes because the big C5 Cargo planes are bullies, and no match for those little mosquitoes. The cargo planes don't fly over our town, but they fan the mosquitoes south of us, towards
NYJoe's house.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:25 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
This year so far, we have been spared the biters. I am highly allergic to the stupid things including no-see-ems, too. So far they have been virtually non existent. Now we have had little to no rain, so that might account for it.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
We have no mosquitoes because the big C5 Cargo planes are bullies, and no match for those little mosquitoes. The cargo planes don't fly over our town, but they fan the mosquitoes south of us, towards
NYJoe's house.
Just beware Goldfive, the locals here will ply you with sweet tea and scrapple, entertain you with parades, and trick you with their fancy real estate words, just to get you here. Once you move and cannot return to the overpriced, congested and increasingly uncivil land you came from, they turn on you and send bloodthirsty, malaria bearing vampire bugs to your new location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware