Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 09:56 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
Until you start lining things up on a map you probably don't realise how far south many places on the East Coast are compared to places in Europe or the West Coast we think of as sunny and warm.If you draw a line straight across the Atlantic from Rehoboth Beach that line comes out at Lisbon Portugal. In my state of South Carolina the state capitol Columbia is as far south as Los Angeles and Charleston is as far south as San Diego.
Interesting - then south Florida must be as far south as Mexico. The climate and landscape here are perfect, at least for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 08:44 AM

719 posts, read 1,059,948 times
This is one of the reasons I love the East Coast.You get to see country like this from New Jersey to Georgia. This is near Laurel Delaware. I hate to generalize too much but a lot of people in the South , where I am from too, have seen very little to
none of the Mid Atlantic and the Northeast states and to see big open fields like that would surprise them a lot. It amazes me to see huge corn fields like that in Delaware!https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5105...7i13312!8i6656

Here are some views of coastal South Carolina.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9022...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8868...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by senecaman; 10-21-2018 at 09:22 AM..

Old 10-21-2018, 12:33 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
What amazes me is how many fewer of them there are than just 10 years ago.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
What amazes me is how many fewer of them there are than just 10 years ago.
Rural areas are the same now becoming a little more suburbanized each year with developments.It's like that here in SC. When I was a kid Upstate SC was fields and cows. It's still fairly rural but not like before and not many big cornfields.

BTW just curious where from in NYC ? I was born and have family in Queens.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Rural areas are the same now becoming a little more suburbanized each year with developments.It's like that here in SC. When I was a kid Upstate SC was fields and cows. It's still fairly rural but not like before and not many big cornfields.

BTW just curious where from in NYC ? I was born and have family in Queens.
Queens, then 30 yrs in the financial district and then a pitstop in Queens. I love Queens.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Queens, then 30 yrs in the financial district and then a pitstop in Queens. I love Queens.
My family (fathers side) lives in Rego Park. I was born there but grew up in South Carolina where my mother is from. I have spent time back in the city over the years and had a short term job some years ago in Manhattan. That was a first for me as an adult , taking the subway into the city and back each day.I felt like I had joined the club of being a NYer. lol But living in SC for so long I have gotten used to warmer weather and open space but I love to visit the family up there.Being a pizza guy I need to get up that way to get my NY pizza fix .

Old 10-22-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
My family (fathers side) lives in Rego Park. I was born there but grew up in South Carolina where my mother is from. I have spent time back in the city over the years and had a short term job some years ago in Manhattan. That was a first for me as an adult , taking the subway into the city and back each day.I felt like I had joined the club of being a NYer. lol But living in SC for so long I have gotten used to warmer weather and open space but I love to visit the family up there.Being a pizza guy I need to get up that way to get my NY pizza fix .
I lived in Bellerose as a wee little child, then Queensborough Hill, then Murray Hill, and the pit stop was Auburndale (all three Flushing really). Spent my whole life taking the subway and wished I didn't have to, but it beats trying to drive there. I don't think much of pizza, but I pine for Asian food and groceries. If I get up for a visit, I'm going to mail myself all kinds of crazy ethnic things.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:58 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
This is one of the reasons I love the East Coast.You get to see country like this from New Jersey to Georgia. This is near Laurel Delaware. I hate to generalize too much but a lot of people in the South , where I am from too, have seen very little to
none of the Mid Atlantic and the Northeast states and to see big open fields like that would surprise them a lot. It amazes me to see huge corn fields like that in Delaware!https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5105...7i13312!8i6656

Here are some views of coastal South Carolina.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9022...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8868...7i13312!8i6656
These look like PA and NJ to me--among other places. NY state, too. There are plenty of farm fields, but there are tree lines and clumps of trees between them. There's not always a long view.

Years ago when my son and I were on our way to Niagara Falls, he asked me to stop so that he could take a picture of the acres and acres of sunflowers growing on a farm near Route 90 in NY. It turned out to be more than one photo, and we didn't make it to Buffalo that night. So much for reservations.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:43 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
I am from the Upstate of South Carolina .I have a friend from NYC who was passing through the town of Laurel in Southern Delaware on his way home from North Carolina.I checked out that area on Google Street Level and its very nice with aspects of both Upstate SC and Lowcountry SC. Like Upstate SC there are hardwood forests and like Lowcountry coastal SC there are big open fields. I would assume the winters can get cold but that the summers are hot. I spent 4 months working in Philly some years back and in July and August it was pretty hot .BTW my friend stopped at the Royal Farms convenience store on Laurel Road in Laurel. He had the fried chicken at this store and said it had been rated best fried chicken in America by Food and Wine magazine. Has anyone had the chicken there? Love good fried chicken so if I am up that way , hopefully on my way to one of your states' great beaches , I will have to try it.
Lets's get back on topic ^ please. All posts past this one that are not about the above post and Delaware will be deleted and infractions may be issued.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware