Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 10:57 AM

8,772 posts, read 5,062,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
We have a second home in Ocean View and love the area----it's great at this point in our lives. We are in our 70's and are very active physically. Most of the people I've met moved there to live full time after vacationing or owning a second home in the area. Also physically active.

In considering whether to live there full time I have some concerns about what the quality of life would be like for a less physically fit senior. I don't see the very elderly out and about.

When I reach the the point of not being able to walk over the dunes to the beach with my dogs, or begin to dread the drive and associated traffic to get to Lowe's or Home Depot, then life there will be less enjoyable for me.

One can't entirely predict the future but one thing is certain---if we live long enough there is the chance that physically limitations will set in. As I always like to have mid- and long-range plans in mind, this is a concern of mine.
Thank You, for your story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 03:10 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Nefret, I understand what you are saying and all I can say is that I find the Rehoboth -Lewes area to be fairly challenged friendly. I worked for over 30 years as a volunteer with disabled children and as a disabled sports official and I can say there are many places locally that are accessible and few that are not. I think being in a gray(ing) state there are many things that are skewed toward the older generation.
There is always a question about the traffic. Coming from Long Island where traffic was almost a sport, it never bothers me, I just plan differently for the summer in terms of visiting certain stores etc. I will acknowledge that emergency vehicles will have a longer response time than ideal in the summer, but, if you are from a large metropolitan area, you are up against the same problem. If however you are from the "country" or a rural area the response time in the summer might give you pause.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:46 AM

9,725 posts, read 14,269,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
One can't entirely predict the future but one thing is certain---if we live long enough there is the chance that physically limitations will set in. As I always like to have mid- and long-range plans in mind, this is a concern of mine.
About plans...we didn't plan at all, but it turned out just fine! We're natives of Delaware, in our late 70's and purchased an older 3 story older home in 1983 (coming off a 160 acre farm). Previously we built 3 new ranch style homes in the country, suitable for the aging process. So, we made NO plans at all, and actually did things backwards. Now we find ourselves in a big house, but..... within 2 blocks of the fire company and ambulance service, a walking block either way to a convenience store and post office, 2 short blocks to the police station and town hall, 2 blocks to the hometown butcher, 1/2 block to the bus stop, 1 mile from shopping centers/Walmart and eateries, and a nice 1 mile bicycle ride to peach and apple orchards. If we had planned this, it could not have been better! Of course, "the beach" is 35-40 miles away from us...which doesn't interest us since it has changed so much since we enjoyed it in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. But the Delaware Bay is only 15 minutes from us which satisfies our liking for fishing, dining on the water as the fishing boats come in, and "jawing" with the fishermen. So, don't worry. Things will work out!

Last edited by rdlr; 04-13-2019 at 06:58 AM..

Old 04-13-2019, 07:14 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,521,600 times
Lots of hidden costs. Do your homework.

Rising water also an issue. Do your homework.

I am still considering DE. One area in particular but I don't see phenomenal savings over southern most NJ.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:16 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,050,475 times
rdlr --- you are in an ideal situation!

Old 04-14-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Lots of hidden costs. Do your homework.

Rising water also an issue. Do your homework.

I am still considering DE. One area in particular but I don't see phenomenal savings over southern most NJ.
I read with great interest your above statement. I know that you have been considering moving here for years and as indicated, thus far have not. What costs are you speaking of as hidden? I live in Rehoboth and have answered from my experience and know several people within the state and would like to understand what you are referring to. Of course, it may have to do solely with where you come from and what is included where you live as opposed to the same for here, but for the people I have spoken with over the years, I am not sure what you are speaking about.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:35 AM

698 posts, read 1,052,076 times
I have lived in central Delaware for 13 years, and it has become an increasingly better choice for me, over time. I'm not a beach person- Rehoboth etc. 65 miles away. Medical care has become more important, and I find that Christiana Health Care is cutting edge, and about 30 min. from me. Property taxes for 1900 sq. house are $1400-no school tax for those over 65, and no sales tax.

I feel that I live in an area which still has smaller town feel,but larger city amenities. I don't travel much but airports-Phil. and BWI would be the choices. There are good restaurants, shopping, parks, green space near, as well as the Chesapeake Bay, which has more appeal for me than ocean area, and much less traffic to deal with.I'm about 40 minutes from Betterton Beach on Maryland's Eastern Shore, with sand beach as well as shady,grassy areas with pavilions for picnics. Also swim area is roped off as protection against nettles. usually quiet and pleasant.

I would be concerned about being too close to ocean with climate change issues, and the medical care locally, according to two people who live there year round, leaves a lot to be desired, for major health issues.

Good luck in your search!
Catsy

Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
I have lived in central Delaware for 13 years, and it has become an increasingly better choice for me, over time. I'm not a beach person- Rehoboth etc. 65 miles away. Medical care has become more important, and I find that Christiana Health Care is cutting edge, and about 30 min. from me. Property taxes for 1900 sq. house are $1400-no school tax for those over 65, and no sales tax.

I feel that I live in an area which still has smaller town feel,but larger city amenities. I don't travel much but airports-Phil. and BWI would be the choices. There are good restaurants, shopping, parks, green space near, as well as the Chesapeake Bay, which has more appeal for me than ocean area, and much less traffic to deal with.I'm about 40 minutes from Betterton Beach on Maryland's Eastern Shore, with sand beach as well as shady,grassy areas with pavilions for picnics. Also swim area is roped off as protection against nettles. usually quiet and pleasant.

I would be concerned about being too close to ocean with climate change issues, and the medical care locally, according to two people who live there year round, leaves a lot to be desired, for major health issues.

Good luck in your search!
Catsy

Are you sure that you pay No school taxes? In Rehoboth, it used to be a reduction after 3 years of residency and now it is 10 years residency for up to $400 reduction.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:22 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Are you sure that you pay No school taxes? In Rehoboth, it used to be a reduction after 3 years of residency and now it is 10 years residency for up to $400 reduction.
I questioned that as well. Of course it all depends on the assessment of the house. If the taxes on the assessment are less than $400 then I guess that would explain it. Unfortunately that is not our case. And of course now the Capital school district has been approved to add more. Just hope that DelTech doesn't get approved for more property taxes.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:58 PM

9,725 posts, read 14,269,161 times
I'm always amused when people talk about "hidden costs" ..... taxes, etc. But that's o.k. .....less people coming to Delaware.

As I said, we have a large old 3 story home in a small town, and love it! We're over 65 so we get a reduction of $202.30 in school tax.
Here's our tax bill after that senior citizen tax reduction:

CNTY COUNTY TAX 72.90
COLB COUNTY LIBRARY TAX 8.02
S 20 CAESAR RODNEY SCHOOL 202.30
SC20 CAESAR RODNEY CAPITATION 24.00
VOCA VOCATIONAL SCHOOL 37.45
TOTAL COUNTY TAX FOR YEAR 2018 ...... $344.67

Of course, we pay town taxes, which is another bill that includes pick up for trash, yard waste, recycle, bulk items pickup, great police protection (3 officers 24 hours/day) and a cup of red juice and a cookie if we go to the town hall meetings once/month. If you don't want the red juice and cookie you don't get a discount! (could be a hidden cost)
That bill is $605/year

Last edited by rdlr; 04-16-2019 at 06:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware