Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 10:43 AM

4 posts, read 9,545 times

Advertisements

Hello, we're building a new house in Lewes that will be ready mid-Sept.
We're closing on the home we're selling out of state at the end of June and are looking for a 2 or 3 Bedroom house/apartment which is cat friendly.
We would need the place for 3-4 months and are willing to be up to an hour away from Lewes.
We've been scouring all the online rental listings for months now and for some reason, cannot find any place that will do less than 6 months this time of year. (most are 12).
Desperately hoping someone here knows of a good place willing to do basically a summer rental (which I'm kind of surprised there aren't more available considering the beach season).
Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 01:00 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappatweak View Post
Hello, we're building a new house in Lewes that will be ready mid-Sept.
We're closing on the home we're selling out of state at the end of June and are looking for a 2 or 3 Bedroom house/apartment which is cat friendly.
We would need the place for 3-4 months and are willing to be up to an hour away from Lewes.
We've been scouring all the online rental listings for months now and for some reason, cannot find any place that will do less than 6 months this time of year. (most are 12).
Desperately hoping someone here knows of a good place willing to do basically a summer rental (which I'm kind of surprised there aren't more available considering the beach season).
Thank you in advance!

The problem is that you are very late and most are already rented. I hope I will not add one more thing to your stress by my next comment. I have had a lot of experience with housing since I work with international students who come here. One problem they have encountered is shortage of affordable housing. In our efforts to help them, we learned that many of the new builds in the Rehoboth-Lewes area were promised for delivery by such and such a date and they were told that due to supply chain problems, basic necessities like stoves and fridges are delayed and others who were lacking building materials to enable them to be completed therefore delivery of same is late. Have you checked with your builder to see if you house really will be completed on time? I have come across many people who have already closed on their old homes, who are trying to find short term rentals now.

Old 04-28-2022, 01:55 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times
OP,

Here is a "full season" rental that still shows available as of this afternoon - if your budget is 20K for the season. Not sure what they call a full season - you will have to call Berkshire Hathaway to ask. This rental does accept pets.

Most of their listings that accept pets are already booked for the beach season.

If you had been looking for a place between Oct - April - there would have been furnished condos available in the off season at reasonable prices, but, beach season is a different story. Many are booked months in advance.

https://www.gotogallo.com/rental/delaware/lewes/1577

Old 04-28-2022, 02:28 PM

We've been looking since February, but obviously didn't need/want anything before I moved out of my home in June. Thanks for that listing. 20K is nuts. I don't even really want anything on the beach for that reason. But Delaware seems to be lacking in the entire state for short term rentals this time of year.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:56 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,139 times
Thumbs up Good luck in your search

I just checked a very nice 55+ apartment building in Dover, The Grande, but no rentals available right now. You can go to their site and click where it says to notify you about vacancies. When I was planning my move, renting there was my backup plan and some of my neighbors where I am now rented there while their places were being built. I was in Lewes today and drove a scenic route there, but believe it is within an hour drive, but probably not on a summer weekend. Good luck - hopefully something turns up.

Old 04-29-2022, 01:01 PM

Can anyone tell me about the Dover area around the High School/Schutte Park in terms of cleanliness and safety? Thank again.

Old 04-29-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappatweak View Post
Can anyone tell me about the Dover area around the High School/Schutte Park in terms of cleanliness and safety? Thank again.
The area around the high school is mainly a commercial strip (Route 8) with stores, fast food, a few banks, Wawa, etc. Immediately west of the high school it is all residential. About a mile further west is an Amish area off on the side roads off of Route 8 and my favorite store, Byler’s. I am there often and it seems clean and safe. The park is in a nice residential area.

Old 04-30-2022, 05:07 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Schutte Park is a troublesome area. If you google it, (City of Dover Police Reports) you'll see many reports...shootings, theft, and other. A year or 2 ago, they started closing the park early, due to partying there, after hours.
Schutte Park is not near the new Dover High School, which is on Route 8/Forest Ave. Schutte Park is on West Street, aka Hazletteville Rd.

About rentals, good luck with that, especially short term rentals. Along with the sky high home purchases, are the sky high rental fees, and even those are very scarce.

Old 04-30-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Schutte Park is a troublesome area. If you google it, (City of Dover Police Reports) you'll see many reports...shootings, theft, and other. A year or 2 ago, they started closing the park early, due to partying there, after hours.
Schutte Park is not near the new Dover High School, which is on Route 8/Forest Ave. Schutte Park is on West Street, aka Hazletteville Rd.

About rentals, good luck with that, especially short term rentals. Along with the sky high home purchases, are the sky high rental fees, and even those are very scarce.

rdlr - I have been to Schutte Park a few times, always daytime, so didn’t realize there is trouble there at night. Sorry I gave bad info to the original poster. I drive there from the Wyoming direction and don’t pass any areas that look bad. I prefer more scenic parks, which is why I don’t go there more often. Thanks for your info.

Old 05-01-2022, 07:13 AM

Thank you all for the information. It's been very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: