Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 07:55 AM

28 posts, read 227,437 times

Advertisements

Might be taking a position at AZ and trying to figure out optimal neighborhoods.....(If I don't take this job we're switching gears and will look to relocate to Atlanta, hence my post in those forums,but I really like Astra thus far.) Ideally we would be only a few minutes from the office, in a decent sized lot (like .3 acres minimum) in a 4 bed/3bath home with a finished basement requiring very minimum maintenance or renovation. Seems if we go out to Hockessin we find more updated homes that wouldn't require a lot of maintenance, so that is a possibility too. We are a liberal, multi-racial family and would want to be in a community that is pretty laid back and not snooty. We've also got a toddler, so kid-friendly with some other young families is a plus. What do the experts think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 08:51 AM

53 posts, read 322,003 times
Sharpley is right behind Astra-Zeneca. I believe average home prices are $500,000. and up. You can expect the same in Eden Ridge. Hockessin is nice you can expect the same average home prices. Check Alapocas too. Fairfax is right across AZ and the average home prices are under 500. Same with Concord Manor. Surrey Park is a nice neighborhood as well. Unfortunately there are too many neighborhoods to list here. Check the real edstate listings for 19803, 19810, 19806, 19707, and for the really big bucks 19807.

good luck

Old 09-24-2008, 07:55 AM

Hmmm. I'd like to stay between 400k and 650k....and 650k only for truly perfect location, finished basement, updated systems, etc. Are all the lots in Fairfax tiny? I'd like at least 0.25 acre. And......the snooty factor. Is Hockessin relatively laid back? Sharpley, Eden Ridge, and the others you listed? Also, I'm a working mom and don't want to be in a neighborhood filled almost exclusively with SAHMs -- a mix would be good. (Nothing necessarily against SAHMS, I'd probably be one if I could, but I don't want to be odd woman out.) What neighborhoods should we actively AVOID if we want a pretty liberal community?

Old 09-24-2008, 07:21 PM

272 posts, read 786,288 times
Try Deerhurst. Most of the homes are the smaller cookie-cutter type but there are a few streets that have older, larger homes. Speak to a real estate agent. S/he will know which ones I mean.

I also just recommended Surrey Park to another tonight. I think it would work for you as well.

I'm not so sure about avoidance; Delaware is a blue state and is closer to New York in attitudes than Birmingham. In fact it's hard for me to think of a community here that is NOT liberal. That's not the case in the southern part of the state.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:16 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times
If you want to be close to A-Z I don't know why you'd want to live in Hockesssin (or why anyone would suggest it). Sharpley and Alopocas are both quite close to A-Z and very nice. You can undoubtedly find homes within your price range. Even in Greenville and Westover Hills, which are close enough to A-Z (well, depending on what part of Greenville I guess) you can find some homes within your price point. I wouldn't recommend Fairfax or areas on that side of Concord Pike, frankly.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:39 PM

87 posts, read 311,750 times
Sharpley is close and very nice......I've seen homes there in your price range. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
If you want to be close to A-Z I don't know why you'd want to live in Hockesssin (or why anyone would suggest it). Sharpley and Alopocas are both quite close to A-Z and very nice. You can undoubtedly find homes within your price range. Even in Greenville and Westover Hills, which are close enough to A-Z (well, depending on what part of Greenville I guess) you can find some homes within your price point. I wouldn't recommend Fairfax or areas on that side of Concord Pike, frankly.
Wait -- nothing east of Concord Pike? Why? I saw a listing near Ardencroft that looked nice...

Old 09-29-2008, 06:26 PM

272 posts, read 786,288 times
crandolph
I'm not sure what doctorjef has against "Fairfax or areas on that side of Concord Pike." That seems to rule out a lot of nice neighborhoods including the Ardens (Ardencroft, Arden, Ardentown). There are also some nice homes in the Shellbourne Park area as well as the area between Shipley and Foulk Rds (Weldin Park).

Get a good realtor to help you out; there are plenty of areas here in Brandywine Hundred that meet your criteria.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:43 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times
I simply believe that areas west of Concord Pike such as Sharpley and Alapocas represent better long term investment. Basically anything off Mount Lebanon Road should be a good investment as well. I agree that there are some pleasant neighborhoods on the other side of Rt 202, but I just don't think they offer the same quality and the same long term investment potential as properties west of 202.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:47 AM

53 posts, read 322,003 times
Most of the homes in North Wilmington retain their value on either side of 202 because of the location. A majority of the neighborhoods in North Wilmington have been established for at least 40+ years if not longer. You're not going to find much new construction in North Wilmington because most of the area has already been developed; so you don't have to worry about new housing developments popping up in your backyard. You can't go wrong buying on either side of 202. It's a good investment regardless.
As far as long term investment, I think it's relative to the economic outlook when you sell. From my observation, more houses are selling in Fairfax in today's market than in Sharpley or Eden Ridge (I've driven through both areas) eventough Sharpley has more luxorius homes.
Arden, Ardentown, and Ardencroft are desirable area because of it's "artsy" image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware