Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:04 PM

9,722 posts, read 14,262,736 times

Advertisements

Me, too, ElizaMary!

Regarding gas/electric rates, I'm paying my Delmarva Power electric bill on line, as we speak, which is due January 8th. My bill is $96.63. We have oil, baseboard hotwater heat, a 100 year old two story home with old windows, and about 2,000 sq.ft. of living area. Insulation is minimal, downstairs ceilings are 9', all hardwood floors and no carpet. To fill our 275 gallon oil tank in the basement costs $650 for about 8 weeks. I'm perfectly happy with our utility bills. In fact, I'm happy with everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 01:21 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Me, too, ElizaMary!

Regarding gas/electric rates, I'm paying my Delmarva Power electric bill on line, as we speak, which is due January 8th. My bill is $96.63. We have oil, baseboard hotwater heat, a 100 year old two story home with old windows, and about 2,000 sq.ft. of living area. Insulation is minimal, downstairs ceilings are 9', all hardwood floors and no carpet. To fill our 275 gallon oil tank in the basement costs $650 for about 8 weeks. I'm perfectly happy with our utility bills. In fact, I'm happy with everything!

Well, as positive as I usually am, I do have to say I was surprised by my electric bill.
The bill due the begining of Jan was $143 or the month which I thought was high with air conditioning.
Now my gas bill was $33 which was very good.
We do have a heat pump which may be the reason for the high electric?
Still......a lot cheaper than my old twin home in Philly.
I was on a budget for $180 a month electric and about that for gas. Maybe more in an extra cold winter or warm summer.
My electric bill in the summer would be anywhere from $$200 to $400 a month.
Same for gas.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:41 PM

405 posts, read 1,375,263 times
If it's not to much trouble, could someone tell me all the ways people heat their houses out there, and which is the most and least expensive.

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2008, 04:15 PM

699 posts, read 2,895,269 times
We bought with solar in mind. Not solar panels per say but the back of our home is situated on a true southern exposure. Our kitchen, morning and family rooms have many windows and these rooms are quite comfortable in the winter months on sunny days. In the summer, the sun is directly overhead and does not hurt our cooling bills. Our home has two systems.
Electric heat pump for the upstairs and gas for the downstairs. This works well for us as we can turn off the upstairs during the day and the heat from downstairs is enough to make the upstairs comfortable. The important thing is to have good windows and insulation. Without these two things, you are pretty much throwing your money out the window (so to speak) Winds are prevelant here which adds to the chill factor in the winter.
The heat pump works great in the summer too. Turn it on 20 minutes before bedtime and we are cool as cucumbers all night.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:25 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
Hi PA and everyone,

I also used solar energy through a southern exposure that really worked very well. Then I messed up. I replaced all the windows in the house with new, energy star windows, with Low-E, Argon-filled double panes. While they do a great job of keeping the heat out in the summer, they also do a great job of keeping the "heating" out in the winter. They prevent the heat from the sun from affecting the inside of the house.

Oh well. Unintended consequences.

Charley

Old 01-06-2008, 06:43 PM

699 posts, read 2,895,269 times
Hi Charley,

oopps....well we don't have that problem. In fact, when we did our walk through, it was a blustery, cold day in February. I had my shoes off and while I was in the kitchen, I asked if there were heating coils under the floor-
it was that warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware