Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:38 AM

9,725 posts, read 14,266,863 times

Advertisements

Love it or hate it, it's back - Bigger and Better than ever, benefiting Autism Speaks! Fans and even non-Fans converge from all over the country to visit the Monster Mile, but that's not all! Many don't even go to the race, but just come for the parties, camaraderie, and camping. The boon to Dover is phenomenal with money pouring into hotels, restaurants and other businesses. As natives, we love the excitement and the experience of meeting people from all over. Long time relationships have been cultivated over the years and invitations to friends' camp sites for dinners and parties are always extended. For us, it's a week-long vacation without leaving home. There are no boundaries, no stigmas, no stereotyping - Just people enjoying the events and each other. Can't get more American than this.
http://www.doverspeedway.com/

Last edited by rdlr; 05-04-2010 at 07:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 08:39 AM

445 posts, read 1,436,229 times
Great for Dover and great for Delaware!!! A pain at times, yes; but it's benefits out-way my personal inconvenience. And sorry rdlr, but there are some boundaries and if you rob me of stereotyping you've stolen my fun for the weekend.

Enjoy all, but keep it safe and sane.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoll View Post
Great for Dover and great for Delaware!!! A pain at times, yes; but it's benefits out-way my personal inconvenience. And sorry rdlr, but there are some boundaries and if you rob me of stereotyping you've stolen my fun for the weekend.
Enjoy all, but keep it safe and sane.
Love your outlook!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:42 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
Well, we were thinking of going back down to the beaches that weekend, but I rather doubt it now. Thanks for the heads up, I guess.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:53 AM

324 posts, read 1,220,825 times
why don't you try taking Rt 9 down? As long as you are back at a reasonable time on the Sunday, you should miss most of the traffic (as long as the race is still going on)

Old 05-04-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Well, we were thinking of going back down to the beaches that weekend, but I rather doubt it now. Thanks for the heads up, I guess.
Actually, last year for the Sunday Race (September event) we went down to the Rudder for a music festival and made out fine, traveling Saturday evening and staying until Monday morning. We missed all the traffic.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlydude View Post
why don't you try taking Rt 9 down? As long as you are back at a reasonable time on the Sunday, you should miss most of the traffic (as long as the race is still going on)
I wouldn't recommend Rt. 9. That secret is no more! Sambo's Tavern in Leipsic for crabs and beer is a definite Must Stop for race fans, coming and going. I wouldn't get near Rt. 9.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:27 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
Truthfully, I've gone down on a NASCAR weekend before and I don't recall it being much worse than usual. We try to travel early anyway and later in the summer or around holidays we usually try not to come back until Monday. We've had some spells of such unseasonably warm weather this Spring, however, that the traffic seems fairly heavy already, especially coming back on Sunday morning/mid-day. We'll see -- beach trips for us really are dictated by the weather more than anything else, so never decide very far in advance during the erratic Springtime.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:25 PM

445 posts, read 1,436,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I wouldn't recommend Rt. 9. That secret is no more! Sambo's Tavern in Leipsic for crabs and beer is a definite Must Stop for race fans, coming and going. I wouldn't get near Rt. 9.
Sambo's is closed on Sunday's.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:17 PM

Nascar Week has begun, in Dover! Update: There are a couple thousand, at least, campers in place now and the steady stream will continue throughout the week.

We received a call around midnight from our CT & NY friends, who had left the Darlington track in SC. a little early. Seems their favorites weren't doing so well, so they started their trek north to Dover before the race ended. Brunch was at their DD Miles the Monster Campsite, and the only requirement was that we bring Delaware's own Kirby & Holloway Scrapple. I thought ahead, and spent Saturday afternoon pickin' strawberries since May 8th was the official Opening Day for them here. So, with 2 large "blocks" of scrapple, and a tub of cleaned strawberries in hand, we enjoyed our first reunion of the week, with old friends we met at the race over 15 years ago. What a blast!
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Let's Go Racin' Boys !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware