Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:15 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,998,244 times

Advertisements

Still, I wonder if Newark might offer enough of what the OP is looking for. The main problem is the disconnect between rental price point and what she's looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 10:34 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,583,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
1) We would like to find an area were the kids can walk and get and ice cream, a latte, or sit outside and enjoy lunch at a cafe. My kids are not into major sports, more on the lines of ice skating, laser tag, and skateboarding.
The beach towns are the only ones I know which would be walkable and have these.
I know it's been a long time since I lived in Milford but it still has a main street and it looks like a nice area along the Mispillion river has been developed: Downtown Milford Delaware

http://www.downtownmilford.org/photos/18A134-3416_IMG.jpg (broken link)

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:06 AM

153 posts, read 309,865 times
Default I know you said Delaware...

..but if Delaware County, PA may also be of interest to you. Delaware County is adjacent to the state of Delaware. I would avoid Marcus Hook, Chester, Trainer, Eddystone and a few others. I believe Media, PA would be of interest to you, it sounds exactly what you are looking for.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:43 AM

6 posts, read 13,013 times
Yes there is humidity in the summer here. Winters are usually mild, but had a bad one with lots of snow this year. Housing in that price range is possible, especially for a 3 bedroom house. You will find some crime anywhere you go, but if you stay away from the bigger cities, you are usually good. I have lived here 30+ yrs. and love it. I am very familiar w/ VA. climate and would say not much different then here. Maybe sometimes not quite as cold in winter depending on what part of VA. I can refer you to a some rental properties if you decide you would like to move here. Taxes are really great here for buying property and there is no sales tax on anything, unlike VA. Hospitals are good overall. Many areas have well water and I like mine, no chlorine, Yea. Recycle is done in many areas w/o need to wash everything. Schools are pretty good on testing. Mine went to Caesar Rodney and grandkids go to Capital school dist. , don't see much difference, and also attended a good Christian school for awhile. IADupont has a great service to children with any kind of problems. Hope I got that right, can never remember if it is AI or IA. You can buy a home for $200000 with payments in about that price range and there is bond money available for first time home buyers if you fall in that category at a good interest rate. Ask any ?'s you might like.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:54 PM

388 posts, read 1,000,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlee1949 View Post
Recycle is done in many areas w/o need to wash everything.
This is the second time the subject of rinsing out cans, etc has come up in this thread. I have to ask how difficult or time-consuming is it to take three seconds and rinse out a food container? The alternatives are gross: drippy, smelly trash, which attracts flies and vermin. We ran into this years ago when we lived in Pittsburgh and people moaned about having to remove labels and rinse cans. How lazy can you get?? Just the smell alone should convince you otherwise. OK, I will now step down from my soapbox.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:20 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,583,016 times
nosyneighbors, We lived in Garnet Valley for 6 years - the cost of housing in PA is more then DE and Media is quite the hot area. Great schools though!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:27 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,203,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I know it's been a long time since I lived in Milford but it still has a main street and it looks like a nice area along the Mispillion river has been developed: Downtown Milford Delaware

http://www.downtownmilford.org/photos/18A134-3416_IMG.jpg (broken link)
Milford woman died early today after getting into a fight with two other people at a birthday party, state police said.

The 29-year-old was at the Lincoln Community Center in the 19000 block of Young Lane when she got into a fight with a man and woman and collapsed about 2:12 a.m., said police Sgt. Walter Newton.

She was taken to Milford Memorial Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

The man in the fight passed out due to intoxication and was taken to the Milford hospital with facial injuries, Newton said.

The deceased woman’s body was turned over to the medical examiner to determine cause of death.

The investigation is continuing.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:03 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,998,244 times
I keep feeling that people are missing the three different aspects of the OP: recreational interests of the kids, walkable town, price point for rentals. The question is: what is going to be the best compromise between these three factors.

I'm dismayed the OP hasn't given any input since her original post. Makes me less interested, since one doesn't know how seriously interested she really is.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:33 AM

64 posts, read 186,841 times
Default where in VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrynh View Post
Just curious -- where in VA do you live? We just moved to DE from VA 2 months ago, and your VA sounds a lot different from mine!
We are just outside Harrisonburg, VA. If it was not for JMU this area would shut down.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:40 AM

64 posts, read 186,841 times
Default area

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Danni......

Do you have an interest in a specific area, its easier to give a general run down of whats available to fit the needs of your family.
No specific area in mind, just want a new start for me and the kids. Since I work from home I can go anywhere. Can really go anywhere in the USA just want a nice town for my kids to grow up in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware