Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:42 AM

64 posts, read 186,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Did I miss something? I don't see anything about needing a beach and there are several small towns in lower Delaware that would be walkable and affordable. The only problem I see is humidity. It might not be Florida summer humid, but it can get pretty bad. Actually, I don't know of anywhere on the East coast to avoid humidity unless you go north and then you are back to the snow and expense of heating.
We can might it 1 or 2 months with humidity, just not most of the year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 07:45 AM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosyneighbors View Post
..but if Delaware County, PA may also be of interest to you. Delaware County is adjacent to the state of Delaware. I would avoid Marcus Hook, Chester, Trainer, Eddystone and a few others. I believe Media, PA would be of interest to you, it sounds exactly what you are looking for.
thanks I will look into Media, PA.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:47 AM

Default no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
This is the second time the subject of rinsing out cans, etc has come up in this thread. I have to ask how difficult or time-consuming is it to take three seconds and rinse out a food container? The alternatives are gross: drippy, smelly trash, which attracts flies and vermin. We ran into this years ago when we lived in Pittsburgh and people moaned about having to remove labels and rinse cans. How lazy can you get?? Just the smell alone should convince you otherwise. OK, I will now step down from my soapbox.
I have no problem doing this I just wanted to now ahead of time how much more work I would have to do. But no problem.

Last edited by Danni923; 05-23-2010 at 08:07 AM..

Old 05-23-2010, 07:55 AM

Default Milford, DE

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Milford woman died early today after getting into a fight with two other people at a birthday party, state police said.

The 29-year-old was at the Lincoln Community Center in the 19000 block of Young Lane when she got into a fight with a man and woman and collapsed about 2:12 a.m., said police Sgt. Walter Newton.

She was taken to Milford Memorial Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

The man in the fight passed out due to intoxication and was taken to the Milford hospital with facial injuries, Newton said.

The deceased woman’s body was turned over to the medical examiner to determine cause of death.

The investigation is continuing.
YIKES!!!!
I also found this on Milford, DE:

Crime
The city of Milford has a crime rate higher than the national average in some categories, much higher in rape, assault, and theft, and lower in others.

Milford, Delaware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Danni923; 05-23-2010 at 08:08 AM..

Old 05-23-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I keep feeling that people are missing the three different aspects of the OP: recreational interests of the kids, walkable town, price point for rentals. The question is: what is going to be the best compromise between these three factors.

I'm dismayed the OP hasn't given any input since her original post. Makes me less interested, since one doesn't know how seriously interested she really is.
No, not that at all!!! Kids were sick. When you have 4 it usually goes one gets sick, then 2, 3, & 4. As a single mom it is a lot on one person when all are sick at once.

But you are right I am most intrested in the recreational interests of my kids, walkable town, price point for rentals. I also feel the at the rental prices is what is going to get me in Newark. But once everyone is 100% better we are planning a drive up to DE to look around some of the area people have posted on. We are also not in need much of a beach because we can always drive if the kids want to go. I do have a question; are there near by train in Newark to NYC? Not a must just would like to visit the city once a year if that.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:12 AM

Default Thanks everyone

I would like to thanks to everyone who has taken their time to help me narrow down a few towns. This thread has given me some towns to do more research on and we plan to take a drive in the next few weeks.
Again thanks a bunch

Old 05-23-2010, 11:15 AM

728 posts, read 1,783,975 times
I suggest Newark would be the best place to look for that price range and ammenities. We just purchased a house in the area in that price range. Utilities... well, we're paying less for our 4bd/2ba home than we were in our last apartment... it wasn't well insulated. No sales tax in Delaware helps as well, I didn't see that mentioned yet. Theres alot of past posts with good info on Newark, search and read up on them.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:21 PM

8 posts, read 11,196 times
I'm thinking about moving to the east coast too, specifically the PA-DE-NJ tri-state area. I'm from Texas and I lived in Houston and Dallas. DO NOT move to Houston. Even in the winter the humidity is terrible (I know it sounds strange). What kind of work at home business do you have?

Old 05-24-2010, 01:50 PM

Default renting cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven302 View Post
I suggest Newark would be the best place to look for that price range and ammenities. We just purchased a house in the area in that price range. Utilities... well, we're paying less for our 4bd/2ba home than we were in our last apartment... it wasn't well insulated. No sales tax in Delaware helps as well, I didn't see that mentioned yet. Theres alot of past posts with good info on Newark, search and read up on them.
I know my budget is low for rent and that might just end up being the main factor in whic area we live. People are also telling me to look at Chapell Hill, NC so I am keeping an open mind.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:57 PM

Talking areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSY2009 View Post
I'm thinking about moving to the east coast too, specifically the PA-DE-NJ tri-state area. I'm from Texas and I lived in Houston and Dallas. DO NOT move to Houston. Even in the winter the humidity is terrible (I know it sounds strange). What kind of work at home business do you have?
Thanks, for the heads up on Houston. I have been on the Houston and Austin threads and have come to decide that TX would not work. I am also being told to look in the Chapell Hill, NC area.
I tutor kids with LD. It doesn't pay much, however, it allows me to be with my kids.
What is bring you from TX to the Northeast? Read some of the NJ threads. It looks like most of NJ is moving due to HIGH taxes.
D~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware