Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

A fizzy drink addict who sank a staggering eight litres of cola a day has lost all his teeth - and he's only in his twenties.
Australian hotel hospitality worker William Kennewell ignored repeated warnings from dentists that his fondness for soft drinks would rot his teeth and has now been left with a full set of dentures at the age of 25.

Read more: Man who drank eight litres of cola a day loses all his teeth ¿ and he¿s still only 25 | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 12:31 PM

421 posts, read 2,534,074 times
I see people all the time at the clinics I work at who are 22 and have no teeth. It's not necessarily the soda that'll decay your teeth, it's the lack of brushing and flossing. Granted, that's alot of soda to drink, but one can never say it was purely the soda that did it. It's the same with drug addicts. You can never just say, well the drugs decayed their teeth down to nothing. No! It's the drugs coupled with the fact that you don't brush and floss your teeth that decayed the teeth. Good article though!

Old 02-09-2013, 10:58 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
Calcium is sucked out of your teeth by Coke, and particularly if you're female. Inotherwords, Coke is a bad as heroin since you're laying down calcium until you're in your late twenties. Your body then slowly loses it all your life. Bone loss, and tooth loss is very common and even life threatening for women in particular.

Lions' Gate Hospital in North Vancouver, B.C. has some leading doctors studying Osteo. bone loss occuring among the young and soda along with abuse of asthma inhalers accounts for their main focus. The wife of a French friend didn't read the instructions for her inhalor and is dealing with life threatening bone loss in her mid thirties.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:08 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Never again am I drinking soda.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:03 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
This is not because he drank a lot of soda. This is because he neglected to take care of your teeth.

If you drink 8 liters of soda, brush after meals, floss, and visit the dentist every 6 months you won't lose your teeth. You might suffer from some erosion but there's no way you'd lose your teeth.

And why dentures? Why not implants?

Old 02-15-2013, 11:21 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,199,236 times
He was a hotel worker. Do you really think he could afford implants? Have you checked how much it costs to get an implant? I doubt it.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Never again am I drinking soda.
That's a reasonable decision, as who really needs soda? However, one or two twelve-ounce cans of soda per day will probably not have any particularly bad effects unless one is diabetic, in which case it should be diet soda. The amount cited in the OP is simply enormous. A liter is slightly more than a quart, and a quart is 32 fluid ounces. I have calculated that eight liters per day is the approximate equivalent of 22 twelve-ounce cans of soda!

Quite apart from the direct effect on teeth (a subject of debate here among posters), that much sugar (provided the subject of the article was drinking regular soda) is just horrible from the standpoint of a healthy diet. Who would eat 22 donuts a day, for example?

Truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:50 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
I see people all the time at the clinics I work at who are 22 and have no teeth. It's not necessarily the soda that'll decay your teeth, it's the lack of brushing and flossing. Granted, that's alot of soda to drink, but one can never say it was purely the soda that did it. It's the same with drug addicts. You can never just say, well the drugs decayed their teeth down to nothing. No! It's the drugs coupled with the fact that you don't brush and floss your teeth that decayed the teeth. Good article though!
Your statement which I placed in bold was a stunning eye-opener for me. I just had no idea that so many people could neglect their own health so completely as to achieve such a result by the age of 22! I am 68 and I am disappointed that I already have two implants and I have wondered how I came to have such poor results (loss of two teeth before age 70). Your post puts things in a quite different perspective, and perhaps I am not doing so badly after all.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:56 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
He was a hotel worker. Do you really think he could afford implants? Have you checked how much it costs to get an implant? I doubt it.
I know how much it costs. My dad just got a full set.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 PM

178 posts, read 355,411 times
OMG! thats horrible. how come people do this to themselves.. not taking care of their own health. The sparkling water contain carbon dioxide dissolved in it, small amount of carbonic acid is formed which makes it more acidic and contricute to dental erosion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health