Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 05:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck2007 View Post
I honestly didn't think having to explain my medical insurance situation would be key information to answering a question as simple as "does it hurt?"

You're right, I didn't like your answer, because you didn't give any answer at all, until now. Instead of answering you made a big deal about going to the ER.
The fact that I went into detail about the tooth should have been enough.

But I will apologize - I am sorry - next time if I ever ask a question such as this, I will be sure to include how my medical insurance works, and the reasoning as to why I don't have dental insurance, or going to the ER. I failed to realize that that information is key into answering a simple question based on someone else's experience having a tooth pulled. I did not know that such important criteria about insurance & ER visits determine the answer about if something hurts or not.

My apologies
So I guess you still don't like the answer, that you acknowledge that I gave, because you're more interested in playing passive-aggressive on your hurt feelings than you are on commenting on the actual answer you acknowledge that I gave.

I'm pretty surprised any adult would even think to ask if pulling a tooth hurts. The phrase "it's like pulling teeth" has been used traditionally to apply to anything that's especially painful. "Trying to get this guy to answer my question is like pulling teeth." "Getting an appointment for my car at the dealer is like pulling teeth." Perhaps that went over your head, or you weren't - y'know - thinking before you post, when you asked that question about whether or not it hurts to pull a tooth out.

And it's also a pretty weird question, asking if dental care for free is trustworthy. You didn't specify WHICH group you were offered this from, in your first post, but you expected us to somehow magically know? I mean, what if we said yes, it's trustworthy, because -we- had in mind, an organization that was known for doing good deeds responsibly - and you ended up going to a fly-by-night that put you into a coma? How much would you have appreciated our answer then?

Also, Beth didn't answer -either- of your questions, so I'm not sure why you're thanking her for doing so. She told you to get to a dentist asap. Which is what I said you should've done in the first place. Brokencrayola did say that pulling the tooth wouldn't hurt once you're numbed up, but didn't mention that the shot(s) of lidocaine they inject into your gum, and the soreness once the lidocaine wears off, DO hurt.

Since you now tell us it's Dentistry from the Heart (which you neglected to mention in your OP) I can say yes - they're a legitimate outfit. If that's what you mean by "trusting" them. Whether the dentist that treats you personally will be one you like, or one you can trust, I have no idea. But the organization itself is legit and they are known for donating dental services on a massive scale at "events."

Old 02-12-2013, 05:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Likely the dentist will first give a shot to deaden;then likely cut the gum to pull the tooth which also allows making sure the entire infection is removed. Much like lansing a boil really. you are likely to feel nothing but a little pressure perhaps. Certainlynothing compared to what you have put up with.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:26 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,199,652 times
AnonChick, whats your point??? Do you have nothing else to do but post obnoxious remarks to people asking for help? Who do you think you are and why do you feel above everyone else?

There are many people who cannot afford the fees charged by dentists. Do you think any dentist would see someone for free in an emergency?? Doesn't happen. Money first, emergency later.

ck2007 did the right thing. Got medication and has looked for low-cost help. When you can't pay, you can't pay. Why is anyone putting her down for dealing with a difficult situation?

ck2007, I had a molar pulled a few months ago and it was painless. I got a shot which numbed my mouth and didn't feel anything. I don't know why someone has to say they cut your gum - if they do, I wasn't aware of anything. My molar was broken down below the gum and apparently was difficult to remove, but I wasn't aware of it.

Little sore the next day but nothing I couldn't deal with. It felt a heck of alot better than the raging toothache I had from that molar.

Good luck,
Macy

Old 05-29-2013, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,390 times
I don't have dental insurance. And I've been going to free or reduced dental offices most of my life. I needed serious dental work done and the clinic I went to did it for about an eighth of the cost of a normal dentistry office. They've done a good job so far. They are licensed dentist after all. First numbing cream. Then shots (which barely hurt if at all) then extraction. Then a few days of feeling sore. It's all way less pain then living with busted teeth. Promise.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:30 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
People keep telling the op to see a dentist but if you dont have the funds the dentist will not see you. Your face could be swollen big time & they still wont see you. Its illegal for a hospital to turn away a very sick patient but that does not apply to teeth. Go figure.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:16 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
People keep telling the op to see a dentist but if you dont have the funds the dentist will not see you. Your face could be swollen big time & they still wont see you. Its illegal for a hospital to turn away a very sick patient but that does not apply to teeth. Go figure.
What does that have to do with this thread? The OP was asking about the opportunity to get dental care for *free* and concern that it might hurt.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,309 times
I am in a similar situation here. I have had a broken molar on the left side of my mouth for a while, and recently it abscessed, which caused it to suddenly flare up with pain, coincidentally in the same week we had guests over. I got it pulled 2 days before this was posted, and that really sucked, because it hurt like a knife wound until yesterday. Now, the tooth right NEXT to the gap (not a molar, an incisor) is flaring up with pain, and I feel no red bump. Is this shifting, or is this something else?

Old 07-15-2013, 07:31 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Normally I would not bother responding, since the OP has hopefully had that tooth pulled by now. But since people are googling for this, I figured I would answer the question. The only teeth I have ever had pulled were some baby teeth that needed to go early because of orthodontics, and my wisdom teeth which were pulled under local, not general. The removal of the baby teeth was very easy - no pain, they just slid out. The wisdom teeth were not so easy. I do not generally recommend local for wisdom tooth removal because it was psychologically disturbing, but as for actual PAIN, it did not hurt. The anxiety and the sound of it was the worst part. Better to remove them under local than to live with them because I couldn't afford general. Normal molars should not be as difficult to remove as my wisdom teeth were.

Contrary to the depictions in popular culture, most dentists are not sadists, although some are more skilled that others, and some are very focused on milking your insurance for all that it is worth - and totally uninterested in helping you if you have none. I personally would consider a dentist who volunteers to provide free dental care to the community to probably be more sympathetic than most. They may not give you the prettiest reconstruction, but they recognize that dental services are part of health care and they don't want people to suffer because they can't afford it. If you feel any pain, raise your hand and tell them. They will give you another shot. I personally am resistant to Novocaine but every dentist I have ever had has had no issues giving me more if I said I needed it - Novacaine is not particularly expensive. I think a lot of people are really skeeved out by the needle which is used to inject the anaesthetic - so here's a bit of advice - DON'T LOOK AT THE NEEDLE. Just look away. If they ask if you are OK, just say you don't want to see the needle. I actually had a dentist once who would hide the needle and not let me see it, this is when I realized that I am really better off not looking at it. At worse, the injection is an uncomfortable pinch. Go to your happy place. If you can, bring a music player and listen to something you find soothing during the procedure. With a skilled dentist, you really will not feel the injection at all. At any rate, better to deal with it ASAP, even if there is a little discomfort involved, rather than keep it in your mouth festering and getting worse every day. An infected tooth can actually kill you.

And now some more general advice - don't put off your dental services. If you have anxiety, face your fears. Relay them to your dentist. Many of them will give a one or two pill prescription for Xanax or Valium so that you can have a less anxious experience. Of course this requires you to get a ride to and from your appointment and not drive under the influence, but if you have been avoiding services the extra hassle will be worth it, and it will be psychologically helpful to have a friend there for emotional support if possible. If you have no friends, call a cab or take the bus or train or whatever is available.

Not avoiding services goes double for basic maintenance like cleanings and minor fillings. Keep your teeth in decent shape and you won't have to deal with more invasive treatments. These services should be a budgetary priority.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:27 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I'm wondering how it turned out for the OP too. Wish she'd come back and update us!

Old 07-28-2013, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,359 times
I have been on antibiotics for an abcess tooth for 3 day's now. my face seems to be swelling more and th pain is unbelievable. I am going to the dentist tomorrow to possibly have it pulled if i can open my mouth enough for them to get in there. Is it a good idea to have it pulled when my face is swollen badly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.