Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 09:37 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,494,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
That much?!? Dang, I need to raise my fees.
And I need to go to dental school!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 10:13 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
And I need to go to dental school!
They also will teach you price gouging at dental school.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:25 AM

629 posts, read 934,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
because many dentists will charge 20x that amount.

800 x 20 = $16,000....for an exam and prescription......riiiiiggghhhhttttt.............h ow much more grinding can your axe take?

Old 07-19-2017, 09:27 AM

The reason some dentists overcharge........they spend too much time during office hours posting on social media.

Thus, the time they are not on social media and actually doing dental work,they have to charge $$$$$$$$$$$ to balance it out at the end of the day.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
800 x 20 = $16,000....for an exam and prescription......riiiiiggghhhhttttt.............h ow much more grinding can your axe take?
Better to grind an ax than his teeth?

Old 07-20-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
The reason some dentists overcharge........they spend too much time during office hours posting on social media.
haha you have 10+ times the number of posts than the good dentist does and you joined C-D later.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
haha you have 10+ times the number of posts than the good dentist does and you joined C-D later.
I am not billing patients for my time while posting.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:26 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,782,527 times
This gets more and more bizarre. Billing for "time"? Sounds like you are confusing dentists with attorneys. I would love to now how to bill patients while I am not working on them.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:41 PM

7 posts, read 36,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
100% true. Medicaid patients live an entitled life. They only care about getting "free" stuff. When I was a resident, I worked in a clinic where 100% of patients were Medicaid. You had to sign up at the beginning of the year to be a comphrensive care patient. For toothache patients who did not sign up, we only did extractions. If a patient needed a root canal, they were referred to the local dental school. I had the following conversation on a ROUTINE basis:

Me: "You need to go to the dental school to get a root canal."
Patient: "I don't have a way to get there."
Me: "Ask a friend/relative to take you, take a bus, take a cab."
Patient: "I'll just call an ambulance because then the state will pay for it."
I've read these boards for months and I just don't understand why you speak like this about former patients of yours. There will always be people who abuse the system but there are also plenty of people who simply cannot afford it. If someone pays for private medical insurance (mine is about $400/month) and then uses it to save tens of thousands are they being entitled? My last surgery cost over $40K without insurance. Am I entitled because they paid for it? Dental insurance just does not offer the same benefits.

Dental health is a major part of health care and I cannot understand why medical insurance won't cover it. I have dental insurance and the annual cap is $1000. I needed a crown due to an accident and it didn't even cover the whole thing. If I was 20 years old and living alone and someone had said to me, well you can either pay $2K for the crown or we can pull it out for $100, I sure know what I would have had to do.

You come off as very elitist, which is a shame because you seem to have valuable information to share. Medical and dental insurance are very different and most people simply do not have the finances if an emergency happens and they have to come up with a ton of $$ all of the sudden. My husband was hit by a car as a pedestrian and needed $8K in dental work. Now even if you're far away from qualifying from medicaid it doesn't mean you have that sort of money IMMEDIATELY.

It's a shame when doctors and dentists lose their humanity and start thinking of poor people as not being worth their compassion. Are you obligated to treat them for free? Of course not, but you also don't need to have such a terrible attitude about it. I'm not surprised that the dentists on these forums don't use their real names, no one would go to them.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:15 AM

629 posts, read 934,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliamxc View Post
I've read these boards for months and I just don't understand why you speak like this about former patients of yours. There will always be people who abuse the system but there are also plenty of people who simply cannot afford it. If someone pays for private medical insurance (mine is about $400/month) and then uses it to save tens of thousands are they being entitled? My last surgery cost over $40K without insurance. Am I entitled because they paid for it? Dental insurance just does not offer the same benefits.

Dental health is a major part of health care and I cannot understand why medical insurance won't cover it. I have dental insurance and the annual cap is $1000. I needed a crown due to an accident and it didn't even cover the whole thing. If I was 20 years old and living alone and someone had said to me, well you can either pay $2K for the crown or we can pull it out for $100, I sure know what I would have had to do.

You come off as very elitist, which is a shame because you seem to have valuable information to share. Medical and dental insurance are very different and most people simply do not have the finances if an emergency happens and they have to come up with a ton of $$ all of the sudden. My husband was hit by a car as a pedestrian and needed $8K in dental work. Now even if you're far away from qualifying from medicaid it doesn't mean you have that sort of money IMMEDIATELY.

It's a shame when doctors and dentists lose their humanity and start thinking of poor people as not being worth their compassion. Are you obligated to treat them for free? Of course not, but you also don't need to have such a terrible attitude about it. I'm not surprised that the dentists on these forums don't use their real names, no one would go to them.

Read the post again. I am talking about people who are abusing the system, as you alluded to. I am not talking about people who are honest, hard-working individuals but maybe have fallen on tough times and need a little help TEMPORARILY to get back on their feet. I am talking about people for whom Medicaid is a way of life and families who have generations on Medicaid.

It's fine if you think I am an elitist and have lost my humanity. I would be more than happy to privately compare my last three years tax returns with you. I guarantee I have made more charitable contributions (as a percentage of income) than you. In fact, just last month I did over $4000 worth of dentistry for FREE because I felt bad for a patient. My suggestion to you is to either volunteer your free time at a Medicaid dental clinic or, even better, go down to the local dental clinic, pick out a patient at random, and offer to write a check on the spot to cover all of their dental needs. Most people are happy to do their social justice fighting on the internet, but can't be bothered to actually lift a finger when push comes to shove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health