Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:49 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

I just had oral surgey four days ago to remove three broken off teeth. So now I have only five upper teeth left. Will I have to eat soup till I get my false teeth? Wondering how long do I have to wait till my three wounds heal up before I can get false teeth?

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 03:37 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
Well, soup will work. So will smashed taters or tater cakes.
Pancakes, Vienna sausages, eggs fried sunny side up. Ice cream, yum, yum. Minced meat sandwiches. Peas, soft beans, anything you can think of that doesn't require teeth to break up for awhile.
Just trying to remember what I ate when I had my teeth pulled. There are alot of other things that I can't think of right now.
For the first few days don't eat anything that hurts much or you have to use much pressure to chew. Eat stuff you don't have to really chew up. Just eat it if you can gum it to death without much pain. After that when the gums stop bleeding and the initial pain starts to subside you can eat what ever you can handle that doesn't open up the wounds and you feel comfortable with. You don't want to go too fast and set back the healing process.
Even then, chew slowly and carefully. You are going to be sore for awhile.
Probably wont be eating any roasted chestnuts this Christmas,

Old 12-07-2007, 04:00 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
John 1960
I forgot to try to answer your other question.
My dentist told me to come back in a month after I had mine pulled to have the impression made for my dentures. He wanted to wait until all the swelling went down and in case any loose chips worked up out of the gums. That was over 30 years ago and I never had a problem. Still have the same dentures. It seems like a long time to wait but it was worth it.
I know people who have gone to dentists that say new dentures in the same day. The gums swell and then go back to what is going to be normal and the dentures never fit right because they were made before the gums healed and became the way they would always be after the teeth were pulled and everything healed up.
Sometimes a fast fix means a whole lot of problems in the long run when it comes to dentures.
I can only tell you about my experience of not having any long term problems because my dentist wasn't in a big hurry to get his money and took the time to make sure things were healed up and he could make the dentures right to fit me for the long term.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:28 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Great posts Robhu. Wish I could up your rep again.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:30 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Great posts Robhu. Wish I could up your rep again.
I agree great post, reps for you

Old 12-07-2007, 07:40 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
This tip may help you with the gum swelling:

When I had my wisdom teeth pulled and had lots of swelling (and bleeding that wouldn't quit) that made eating difficult, a call to the local hospital emergency ward got me this great advice from a doctor there:

Pour boiling water over two regular tea bags (not herbal, just plain Lipton-like tea bags), let soak a bit and cool down to point of non-burn temperature, then place them on each side of mouth where wisdom teeth had been and bite down lightly. Leave them there for twenty minutes...repeat until swelling goes down and bleeding stops.

Worked like a charm....something about the tannins in the tea reduce swelling.

Anyhow, thought I'd pass it along to you. Hope you heal up soon and are chomping down on your favorite foods.

If you like it, a nice chili might give you lots of good nutrition and little to aggravate your gums...

Old 12-07-2007, 07:56 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Default Mac and cheese...

I think one thing I ate early on when I had oral surgery was macoroni and cheese. (Had a little substance but still very soft.)

Old 12-07-2007, 09:38 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I just had oral surgey four days ago to remove three broken off teeth. So now I have only five upper teeth left. Will I have to eat soup till I get my false teeth? Wondering how long do I have to wait till my three wounds heal up before I can get false teeth?

Thanks, John
Hi John - I had all my upper teeth removed...still waiting for the dentures - unlike Robhu, my dentist is waiting for 6 months (January) before he makes impressions/dentures ... Anyway, about four or five days after the teeth were pulled, I was able to eat just about anything, even with no upper teeth - I use a food processor to "shred" anything like meat or al dente veggies and that works well. I also drank Boost or Ensure and the low-sodium V-8 in the beginning to make sure I got all my nutrients, etc. Mashed potatoes are great - mix the shredded meat and veggies in with it and it goes down very easily. The one thing I can't eat and I miss dearly is a good old tossed salad! That's the first thing I'm going to have when I get my new choppers!

Old 12-07-2007, 10:28 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
John

In addition to all of the other great suggestions above, you might consider adding a good quality protein drink to your diet to assure that you're getting enough protein during this transition.

For addressing swollen gums, if that is an issue for you, consider using Zyflamend (broken link).

blessings....Franco

Old 12-07-2007, 11:28 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Even though it has been 4 days I would be careful not to swish very hard.
Any pasta dish cut up real small so really all you have to do is swallow. I like the blender for meats and veggies. Stuffing, rice, ground beef with cheese and refried beans probably no tortilla though.
I hope that you heal well without a hitch!
Good Luck........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health