Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:13 AM

356 posts, read 1,268,753 times

Advertisements

It is hard to know who is good and who is not.

I look at online and there are never a lot of reviews for any given dentist. My prostodontits referred me to someone in the office. he went on and on about how great he is. I did some research and he seems to be a teacher too and does free work for people in other countries.
he does have 4 glowing reviews.

I don't know if that means he is good.

I get referrals too, but the man who totally messed up my teeth was referred to me and I know 3 people that went to him, still got a botch job on these crowns

Last edited by belladee; 04-14-2014 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:25 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The worst of it for me was the area where they injected the lidocaine, once it wore off. The soreness lasted a day.
Ditto. And I have had several root canals.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:28 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belladee View Post
I keep reading horror stories on here and online.. about how the pain is worse after. I really cant take any worse pain at this point.
It's all relative.

It is common to be more painful the third day after the procedure, compared with the first day after the procedure. If you're already experiencing a lot of pain now, and you haven't even had the procedure yet, then you will probably be pleasantly surprised once the healing process is over, and you are then - completely pain-free.

It's mostly just "sore" during the healing process - which only takes a few days. Nerve damage pain, before a root canal procedure, can be excruciating. The soreness is more like a throbbing sensation, compounded by what you might describe as a "cut" in your gum, which is not a cut at all, but just the injection site where they put in the lidocaine shot. That'll be a little tender for a couple of days too. Same sensation as if you were chewing on popcorn and got a kernel stuck under the gumline.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:37 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,884 times
Quote:
It is hard to know who is good and who is not.
I would start by asking my dentist who he would go to or send his own family to. There are many websites for doctor ratings so you should be able to find the endodontist's name and see what other patient's think of them. Keep in mind that more people complain than compliment so not seeing an overwhelming number of compliments is not necessarily a bad thing. An overwhelming number of complaints is though.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:53 AM

well my new dentist referred me to this endo, but he is in his office. Everyone in the office so far has been amazingly nice.. and I do trust my new dentist. I did ask him if he would send his kids to this guy and he said yes. I am in sales, so I don't necessarily trust anything that anyone says.. lol

I just realized those 4 glowing reviews were for someone else not in my area.. I cant really find any reviews

Old 04-14-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's all relative.

The soreness is more like a throbbing sensation, compounded by what you might describe as a "cut" in your gum, which is not a cut at all, but just the injection site where they put in the lidocaine shot. That'll be a little tender for a couple of days too. Same sensation as if you were chewing on popcorn and got a kernel stuck under the gumline.
that sounds quite unpleasant. more so than having an extraction. I don't think I can handle that.. something feeling stuck in my gum.. I already feel that way.. throbbing.. like something is stuck in there, soreness, all of it

Old 04-14-2014, 12:29 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
I've had my share of root canals. The relief from pain was tremendous. The only pain I had after was some jaw ache from having my mouth open for a long time...maybe a little soreness from the injections. Nothing that an OTC pain reliever couldn't handle.

I always ask the dentist/endo for a prescription for pain meds "just in case"--and I've never had to use them.

If you have an infected root, you'll be happy with the result of the root canal, believe me.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:31 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
that sounds quite unpleasant. more so than having an extraction. I don't think I can handle that.. something feeling stuck in my gum.. I already feel that way.. throbbing.. like something is stuck in there, soreness, all of it
It sounds like you're handling worse right now. And I didn't say it feels like something is stuck. I said the "cut pain" at the injection site is similar to what the pain you feel when a popcorn kernel gets stuck. You know, if a kernel gets stuck and after a day, it just feels a little sore. Even if the kernel is now gone.

The whole thing ends up being a little tender, and a mild throbbing. It's not excruciating, or intolerable, and most people don't even bother with pain meds because it really isn't a big deal.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:42 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,884 times
Quote:
well my new dentist referred me to this endo, but he is in his office. Everyone in the office so far has been amazingly nice.. and I do trust my new dentist. I did ask him if he would send his kids to this guy and he said yes. I am in sales, so I don't necessarily trust anything that anyone says.. lol

I just realized those 4 glowing reviews were for someone else not in my area.. I cant really find any reviews
I'm not sure I understand the hesitation in going to the endodontist to whom you were referred. Do you have a reason to not believe that he is capable other than he is in the same office?

Old 04-14-2014, 07:28 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,849,103 times
Years ago getting a root canal was a big deal. Today it is not. It's basically computerized now. Very quick process. It takes longer to wait for the anesthetic to fully kick in than it takes for the whole root canal to be completed.

If people are telling you horror stories than they probably had their root canals decades ago.

You will feel such relief as soon as the root canal is done. I've had several, some decades ago & one in the past few years. Big, big difference in the way it's done today !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health