Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 05:30 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,563,639 times

Advertisements

To say I hate the dentist is probably an understatement. lol. I hate going with nuclear capability.
For a while I would only go when I had a problem but last year I made a resolution to take better care of my overall health.
The old gray mare (me) isn't getting any younger.

Anyhoo. went for my first cleaning in about 4 years and he recommended some work actually nothing major. I still have old silver filling and one is partly gone. so I did make an appointment to have the two worst looking fillings removed and replaced.

And I'm petrified. I'm actually more worried that I'll cancel the appointment.

anyone else experience anxiety and fear going to the Dentist. any tips you use that help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 07:16 AM

629 posts, read 934,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
To say I hate the dentist is probably an understatement. lol. I hate going with nuclear capability.
For a while I would only go when I had a problem (that's why you hate the dentist - every time you go it hurts. When your mouth is healthy, a dental visit is quick and painless.) but last year I made a resolution to take better care of my overall health. Good decision.

Anyhoo. went for my first cleaning in about 4 years and he recommended some work actually nothing major. I still have old silver filling and one is partly gone. so I did make an appointment to have the two worst looking fillings removed and replaced.

And I'm petrified. I'm actually more worried that I'll cancel the appointment. Putting it off and waiting will guarantee two things - 1) It will hurt more to fix it 2) It will cost more to fix it

anyone else experience anxiety and fear going to the Dentist. any tips you use that help.
1) Go to a dentist that does sedation (oral or IV) and pay the extra costs for peace of mind.

OR

2) Put your big boy/girl pants on and suck it up. Blunt, but true.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:19 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,442,125 times
Ask for nitrous oxide. The older I got the more I got anxious. I get it for cleanings as well as fillings. It's just relaxing and you can drive home after, unlike some other sedations.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:17 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Ask for nitrous oxide. The older I got the more I got anxious. I get it for cleanings as well as fillings. It's just relaxing and you can drive home after, unlike some other sedations.
I second that! I love nitrous, I wish I could order it from Amazon and use it at home when I get stressed

Old 09-22-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
For a while I would only go when I had a problem but last year I made a resolution to take better care of my overall health.

If you have someone who can drive you, call the dentist and ask if he will prescribe valium for you and ask for nitrous

Old 09-23-2017, 10:19 AM

371 posts, read 366,434 times
When we get older we have more health issues and take more medications. Nitrous oxide could be a bad idea. Best solution is to toughen up or take a half a Benadryl. It will relax you.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
When we get older we have more health issues and take more medications. Nitrous oxide could be a bad idea. Best solution is to toughen up or take a half a Benadryl. It will relax you.
Why do you think that Nitrous could be a bad idea?

Old 09-23-2017, 03:02 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,855,988 times
There are dentists that specialize in fearful patients. You are not alone in your fear.

One of those dentists would have more patience to help you through it.

Maybe you can find one in your area?

Old 09-24-2017, 11:16 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
Quote:

I've gotten much older (79) and wiser. I spent MANY hours in dental chairs with sweaty palms, stiff nick, stiff shoulders and stiff back. Lots of dental work in my life and found my WAY to keep my mouth and gums and teeth healthy and no dental visits. I'm not a fan of fluoride so avoid it, never saved my teeth and I was born and raised with it. Grape Seed Extract has also been a huge salvation with gum health.

Coconut Oil Benefits and Oral Health

I take a few meds but have to say my mouth is healthier than it was many yrs ago. I've cut back a lot of sugars too.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:46 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,876 times
I have major dental anxiety so my dentist gives me Xanax. If you can get a driver they will write something for you. Nitrous alone wasn't enough for me.

What about it gives you anxiety?I know for me it's a mixture of gagging/getting sick and overall feeling like I am not in control. So I do all the little tricks for gagging because that's one thing that gives me anxiety. Some hate the sounds, so they wear headphones.

I've gotten better though over the past few years. I still HATE it, but I cope. I just had 4 hours of work with no Xanax or nitrous. You can do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health