Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 04:57 PM

7,224 posts, read 11,957,449 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever had this procedure done? I know exactly what is involved in the procedure in the technical sense, so I don't need info on that. However, I was wondering what was involved recovery wise. Meaning how did you feel after the procedure, the next day, two days later etc. Was it very painful? Was your face bruised? Swollen, like you'd gone 15 rounds with Ali?

I've read a bunch of "stock" info online posted by different dental offices about what to expect, but no "personal" accounts. The dental offices say everything from minor discomfort to pain for 3-4 days.

I am having this procedure done the day before an event I would like to attend, but I don't want to get tickets if I'm going to be dying of pain and not be able to make it.

Regarding pain tolerance, my threshold is pretty high. I've felt fine after having wisdom teeth pulled, root canals and a fairly involved elbow surgery last year.

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 05:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,837,185 times
I just checked wikipedia, and it came with photographs of the process. It looks to me like this isn't going to be something you'll be hunky dory with the next day. At the very least, some serious ibuprophen dosage. I had to have bone grafting done to my upper bone, and the sinus cavity wasn't involved at all. I can tell you I was pretty sore once the lidocane wore off, and fairly sore the next day, but I was able to go to work. I think if this had involved my sinus I would've wanted to have it done on a Friday so I could stay out of work over the weekend. Especially since the surgery you're asking about involves some pretty significant risks - ripping the sinus being one, inflammation and infection being others, and pain being right up in the top 5. I definitely wouldn't schedule a night of fun the day after something like this, because the odds of you not enjoying yourself due to even "discomfort" is going to be pretty high. Also - you won't be able to drink alcohol, and chewing on hoagies or anything really crunchy or chewy will be very uncomfortable the day after.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:32 PM

Just bumping this up in hopes that someone that has actually had this procedure will post. This is two dental implants and a sinus lift on the upper left. Thanks.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:22 PM

Implants? I've had implants. You definitely, absolutely, positively, will not want to go out the next day. And probably not the day after that either.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:59 PM

Just updating. Had this procedure this morning and feeling fine. Was out at the bar tonight having a good time. Virtually no pain that wasn't managed with Advil. This again was a sinus lift, upper left, with bone grafting and two implants.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:08 PM

Well there must be something really special about your mouth, that wouldn't feel a whole lot of hurt after someone sliced open a nice big hole in your gum, scraped the bone, added bits of other bone, sewed it up, and drilled two holes in some -other- part of the bone of your jaw, filled THOSE holes up with metal screws, and kept the wounds from the screw-holes open to heal.

I know there's no way they would have drilled implants into the part of the bone that got the grafting, because grafting has to set before anything can be drilled into it. And that takes MONTHS, not minutes.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:15 PM

260 posts, read 910,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well there must be something really special about your mouth, that wouldn't feel a whole lot of hurt after someone sliced open a nice big hole in your gum, scraped the bone, added bits of other bone, sewed it up, and drilled two holes in some -other- part of the bone of your jaw, filled THOSE holes up with metal screws, and kept the wounds from the screw-holes open to heal.

I know there's no way they would have drilled implants into the part of the bone that got the grafting, because grafting has to set before anything can be drilled into it. And that takes MONTHS, not minutes.
Please give us your dental license # in the states your licensed to pratice in.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:25 AM

Quote:

What the heck is this supposed to mean? So you think I'm lying? Do you want me to take pictures of my mouth. Yes, all three procedures were done yesterday morning. They packed bone into the void left from the extraction of #15 back in Feb. #14 had been missing for years, so the lift an grafting yesterday was more for the benefit of that implant. I can PM you the number of my dental office is you like and you can call and ask whether they do all these things at the same time.

You can watch this video too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0u0gd7neTg

There is slight discomfort in the area if I touch my check and when I move my mouth. There is also a bit of swelling this morning since I couldn't ice overnight. But there is no throbbing pain or anything like that. I am going to take a couple more Advil and get out the ice pack now.

Last edited by Calico696; 06-28-2014 at 04:39 AM..

Old 06-28-2014, 06:21 AM

Implants can't successfully go through bone grafts that haven't been given a chance to mesh with the natural bone yet. It is irresponsible dentistry. It's sort of like putting a nail through two pieces of wood without wood glue and calling it a sea-worthy vessel. You -can- do it, but it will eventually fail.

I don't know if you're lying, or if the dentist is lying, or if the dentist performed irresponsible and potentially harmful work on you. I'm not implying anything. I'm saying, flat out, bare-bones - what you say happened, either didn't happen, or should not have happened, if it all occurred in a single visit (the grafting and implants) in the same location of your mouth.

Implants cannot be successfully drilled into unmeshed newly-grafted bone. It just can't.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Implants can't successfully go through bone grafts that haven't been given a chance to mesh with the natural bone yet. It is irresponsible dentistry. It's sort of like putting a nail through two pieces of wood without wood glue and calling it a sea-worthy vessel. You -can- do it, but it will eventually fail.

I don't know if you're lying, or if the dentist is lying, or if the dentist performed irresponsible and potentially harmful work on you. I'm not implying anything. I'm saying, flat out, bare-bones - what you say happened, either didn't happen, or should not have happened, if it all occurred in a single visit (the grafting and implants) in the same location of your mouth.

Implants cannot be successfully drilled into unmeshed newly-grafted bone. It just can't.
Again, insinuating that I am lying. It can't be irresponsible dentistry as he does this all the time and if it wasn't working I'm sure he'd be out of practice due to law suits. He has been in practice for well over 20 years. I had to sign off on paperwork prior to the procedure and initial next to everything they were doing. The check offs were:

Anesthesia
Sinus lift
Bone added to lifted area
Implant for #14
Implant for #15

Did you watch the video in the link I posted? BTW, are you a dentist or work in an oral surgeons office?

Last edited by Calico696; 06-28-2014 at 08:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health