Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,741 times

Advertisements

I recently switched dentists after moving from NY to LA. Even before examining my teeth, the dentist looked at my xray and started rattling off all the teeth that apparently have cavities, a total of 12! She then left the room saying someone will talk to me about payment plans and such. I'm not a paranoid person by nature, but this was beyond suspicious for me.

One, I haven't had a cavity in 10+ years. Two, she hadn't even examined my teeth and based on my experience, that should come before a diagnosis. Third, she didn't even explain my options like there could be ones we can observe and hope they get better with mouthwash and floss. I even asked her about it and she point to this one in particular saying the cavities has reached a point where it will spread like wildfire if we don't drill it. That sounds scary. But the problem is, cavities shouldn't spread that quickly and if my last dentist didn't see it in my xray, how did this happen? I know I've been even more careful about my teeth lately.

A bit of background. So I've been to 3 dentists in the past 2 years. First one I knew for 10+ years, second one was a NYU dental school professor, and third one probably sees more mouths in a day than most others in a week. I trust their opinion and their diagnosis, which is, no cavities worth drilling into. All three dentists have my dental records, which I can easily compare this new one with.

It actually angers me that this facility thinks it can get away with the scam and probably do most of the time. Well, before I write that Yelp review, I just wanted to get some other opinions out there.

Here are my xrays and the recommended drilling plan.

12 cavities out of the blue-nina-n-zhang-fmx.jpg12 cavities out of the blue-screen-shot-2016-01-28-3.35.54
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 04:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
I have no dental experience. I cannot understand mouth xrays. I also do not like to give opinions on medical/dental stuff on a public forum. But, for Pete's sake, go see another dentist !!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2016, 06:00 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I'm no expert either for sure, but I know dentists think $$$...I no longer get xrays as of 10 yrs ago or so. Don't feel it's necessary and money and radiation and just my gut feeling at this time in my life. I question everything and say NO more than ever.

I've had an area in my mouth that a dentist could have done major work on, major $$ and major trauma and it's close to 10 yrs that I keep the area calm and pain free. I've got so much distrust in probably the last 10 some yrs, wish I had felt this way when I did a hip replacement 5 yrs ago that left me with a mess of complications. Living longer and learning.

Why did you go to the dentist? I hardly go anymore and make up my own coconut oil toothpaste. And make up this remedy I use on the so called problem area that is calm and pain free.

Grape Seed Extract is a great antioxidant and works wonderfully for gum health.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:15 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Get a second opinion from a different dentist ASAP.

If you want to than ask the dentist to give you copies of the x-rays & ask for a written list of each cavity & the precise location. Take your x-rays & the list of cavities to another dentist for a second opinion.

Maybe even send the x-rays & the list to your old dentist to review.

Last edited by daliowa; 01-29-2016 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-29-2016, 04:57 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavern89 View Post
I recently switched dentists after moving from NY to LA. Even before examining my teeth, the dentist looked at my xray and started rattling off all the teeth that apparently have cavities, a total of 12! She then left the room saying someone will talk to me about payment plans and such. I'm not a paranoid person by nature, but this was beyond suspicious for me.

One, I haven't had a cavity in 10+ years. Two, she hadn't even examined my teeth and based on my experience, that should come before a diagnosis. Third, she didn't even explain my options like there could be ones we can observe and hope they get better with mouthwash and floss. I even asked her about it and she point to this one in particular saying the cavities has reached a point where it will spread like wildfire if we don't drill it. That sounds scary. But the problem is, cavities shouldn't spread that quickly and if my last dentist didn't see it in my xray, how did this happen? I know I've been even more careful about my teeth lately.

A bit of background. So I've been to 3 dentists in the past 2 years. First one I knew for 10+ years, second one was a NYU dental school professor, and third one probably sees more mouths in a day than most others in a week. I trust their opinion and their diagnosis, which is, no cavities worth drilling into. All three dentists have my dental records, which I can easily compare this new one with.

It actually angers me that this facility thinks it can get away with the scam and probably do most of the time. Well, before I write that Yelp review, I just wanted to get some other opinions out there.

Here are my xrays and the recommended drilling plan.

Attachment 165129Attachment 165131
I don't know where you got the idea that a cavity can recover by flossing and mouthwash. A cavity is a rotted hole in your tooth. It can get worse, or it can be drilled out and replaced with a filling. Think of rust on a car door. If you wax it every week will the rust disappear and the steel grow back? No. Why not? Because it's a rotting hole in the metal. Same with your tooth.

Your treatment schedule only mentions desensitizing paste and composite resin but doesn't have any reference to drilling out the cavities. Are you sure they're cavities, and not just worn enamel that the dentist wants to cover up with resin (a sort of "build up" process) to prevent actual cavities?

Old 01-29-2016, 05:06 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
I would be willing to bet that you don't have 12 cavities. It sounds like the dentist has to make a mortgage payment.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:09 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times
Small to medium sized cavities actually can be reversed and repaired though with the appropriate regimen/medicines. There is actually a silent movement afoot in dental research to make prevention and reversal the first line of defense to cavities vs drilling & filling.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:59 PM

342 posts, read 437,832 times
OP, fees for composite fillings seems so low, is it in US dollars or not?

Old 01-29-2016, 07:52 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I would be willing to bet that you don't have 12 cavities. It sounds like the dentist has to make a mortgage payment.
If the dentist's mortgage payment is only $380 (which is the total of the treatment plan in the OP's link), then I'd suggest the dentist is living in the slums and is probably a really lousy dentist.

The price for composite filling up to three surfaces ranges from $150 to $450 depending on a number of factors. Let's be generous and assume the OP's cavity-filling needs are mostly minimal, and in a geographical location in the USA where dentistry is less expensive than in other locations. So let's call it $200 for 3 surfaces.

The OP is claiming he has 12 fillings needed. That's 4 sets of 3 surfaces, at $200 each, would come to $800.

So somewhere - someone's math is WAY off. Either that or the OP doesn't really need fillings and just needs a little buildup on some worn enamel.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:04 PM

645 posts, read 750,033 times
get a second opinion asap! this is just sad that the pain isn't what people fear anymore when going to the dentist..its more the fear of getting swindled and charged for all kinds of unnecessary treatment...although $380 for 12 fillings seems rather cheap.....I paid $150 just for one composite filling ....so hmmm...still good to get a second opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health