Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 07:30 PM

62 posts, read 98,580 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm posting here in hopes of hearing from someone who went through a similar situation and to hopefully give me some piece of mind.
I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed last Thursday. According to my dentist, all of my teeth were impacted. The actual procedure was simple, as I was put under general anesthesia and did not feel a thing. So far, my recovery has been okay and I've just been following my surgeons directions as to what I should be doing to have the speediest recovery. My main concern I've had over the past few days is that half of my chin is still completely numb from the procedure (bottom part of my lip, all the way to the bottom right part of my chin). I've done some research online and read that this numbness also called paresthesia, is something that can happen from getting your wisdom teeth taken out, as the teeth are very close to some nerves. According to what I've read, most say the numbness will go away within a few weeks, or it could last for months, years, or what I am dreading, is that it could be permanent, depending on the condition of the nerves. Occasionally I am feeling a sensation in my chin that feels like a little shock or bugs crawling around, which is probably my nerve trying to respond to what has happened, and is sort of in "shock".

Has anyone else that has had their wisdom teeth removed experienced this type of numbness in their chin? Do I have anything to worry about, or should this go away eventually? If this happened to you, is there anything in specific that you did to speed up the process or will I just have to wait for it to go away? I have a follow up appointment this week to meet with my surgeon who did my procedure, but I thought I would post a thread to get some other opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 08:19 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
This happened to me, including the bug like feeling. The numbness gradually but steadily decreased over time. At 3 months post op I had about 80% of feeling back. At 6 months I had about 98% back.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:18 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,241 times
There is a nerve inside the lower jaw which is very close to the wisdom teeth in most people. That nerve gives feeling (not movement) to the lower lip and chin. Most commonly this numbness is due to the nerve touching the tooth, and when the tooth comes out it rubs against the nerve. This can cause swelling or bruising of the nerve. Nerves don't like that and they stop working for a while. They are very slow to heal and can take up to 6-12 months to wake up again. It is very rare to get improvement after 12 months. There are also situations where the nerve can actually be cut when wisdom teeth are removed and these instances of numbness can be permanent. Make sure you talk with your surgeon about this and he/she will give you an idea of what to expect.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:36 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,539,294 times
If your tongue were numb I'd be much more concerned. But being the chin, those generally bounce back within a few months. BUT, as toofache32 states, go and report this to your surgeon as they need to know and to followup with you.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:09 AM

629 posts, read 932,450 times
The dentist probably put fluoride on your teeth while you were under and that caused nerve damage. PM jaminhealth for more insights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health