Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 02:25 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times

Advertisements

I went to the dentist for the first time when I was 18 years old (I had a rather unconventional upbringing), and he saw that I had a cavity that needed to be filled. I was terrified and didn’t show up. Put it off for another 6 years, until the pain was so bad that I could no longer chew on that side. Finally went back, and the decay in said tooth was extensive enough to need a root canal. Root canal was done, and 15 years later I still have no other dental issues... with the exception of a pocket underneath the root canaled tooth, likely stemming from an asymptomatic infection, caused by neglecting what should have been a simple cavity that needed to be filled. My dentist will leave it alone as long as it doesn’t cause any pain, but it’s weird to have a ticking time bomb in my mouth... one that could have been prevented decades ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 02:32 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, and the best part is you can admire your beautiful dentures as they sit there and smile at you at night from their container on your nightstand.
Thanks (not) for the image! Guess that's why opaque/colored liquid-holding devices were invented.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:01 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Thanks (not) for the image! Guess that's why opaque/colored liquid-holding devices were invented.
WAT! You mean you don't like seeing your teeth grinning at you at night from your nightstand????? Say it ain't so!

Old 03-25-2018, 03:04 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
After a lifetime of car/motorcycle accidents fights and general poor dental care i had my last tooth extracted around 20 years ago,i have since had beautiful plastic dentures , Teeth? Highly overrated
Actually dentures are not a good substitute for your teeth.
  • Your bite force with your natural teeth is somewhere around 200-250 pounds of force. With dentures, your bite force is about 50 pounds of force.
  • There are taste buds on your upper palate (the roof of your mouth). If you use upper dentures, these will get covered. That means your sense of taste is going to be markedly diminished.
  • Upper dentures can be fixed with a plate that uses suction on your upper palate to stay in place, the bottom denture simply depends upon gravity to stay in your mouth.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
I went to the dentist for the first time when I was 18 years old (I had a rather unconventional upbringing), and he saw that I had a cavity that needed to be filled. I was terrified and didn’t show up. Put it off for another 6 years, until the pain was so bad that I could no longer chew on that side. Finally went back, and the decay in said tooth was extensive enough to need a root canal. Root canal was done, and 15 years later I still have no other dental issues... with the exception of a pocket underneath the root canaled tooth, likely stemming from an asymptomatic infection, caused by neglecting what should have been a simple cavity that needed to be filled. My dentist will leave it alone as long as it doesn’t cause any pain, but it’s weird to have a ticking time bomb in my mouth... one that could have been prevented decades ago.
Hopefully that pocket under the tooth is empty, and it's not open to the surface via a crack in the tooth, or the root canal itself. Might be worth keeping an eye on, though. If there is access to that pocket from the surface, it can end up infected from food/bacteria etc that get into it.

That happened with my one (and hopefully only) root canal. I stupidly assumed that once a tooth has had a root canal and a crown nothing else can ever happen to it

Well, fast forward about five years, and I discovered an abcess that popped out on my gum right by that tooth/root canal, and I figured it was coming from under that tooth somewhere. It didnt go away, continued to drain, and I took it to my dentist, who x-rayed the tooth and confirmed an abscess under the root. He prescribed an antibiotic, tried to save the tooth by doing a deep planing around the root, and it got better. Then about 1.5 yrs later another abscess popped out on the gum, the dentist did another x-ray and told me (showed me on the x-ray) that the root canal had broken, and the tooth had cracked right where it was, so there was access to the tooth surface and all the associated flora and fauna. Since it was the last molar, he just recommending getting rid of the problem by pulling the tooth, and that did take care of it.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Hopefully that pocket under the tooth is empty, and it's not open to the surface via a crack in the tooth, or the root canal itself. Might be worth keeping an eye on, though. If there is access to that pocket from the surface, it can end up infected from food/bacteria etc that get into it.

That happened with my one (and hopefully only) root canal. I stupidly assumed that once a tooth has had a root canal and a crown nothing else can ever happen to it

Well, fast forward about five years, and I discovered an abcess that popped out on my gum right by that tooth/root canal, and I figured it was coming from under that tooth somewhere. It didnt go away, continued to drain, and I took it to my dentist, who x-rayed the tooth and confirmed an abscess under the root. He prescribed an antibiotic, tried to save the tooth by doing a deep planing around the root, and it got better. Then about 1.5 yrs later another abscess popped out on the gum, the dentist did another x-ray and told me (showed me on the x-ray) that the root canal had broken, and the tooth had cracked right where it was, so there was access to the tooth surface and all the associated flora and fauna. Since it was the last molar, he just recommending getting rid of the problem by pulling the tooth, and that did take care of it.
Yeah, I get an x-ray every 6 months to keep an eye on it. My working theory is that getting IV antibiotics during during each of my 3 children’s births must have killed off any active infection.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I get an x-ray every 6 months to keep an eye on it. My working theory is that getting IV antibiotics during during each of my 3 children’s births must have killed off any active infection.
It might have at the time you got those IVs, but the problem is if it's open to the surface food particles and oral bacteria can make their way down into the gum and jaw under the tooth- that's what happened to me with the crack in the root canal itself, which extended into a crack in the tooth root adjacent to it.

Glad you're keeping an eye on it.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:10 PM

629 posts, read 934,323 times
Quote:
Yeah, I get an x-ray every 6 months to keep an eye on it.
Make sure to sue your dentist when you get a brain tumor from all those x-rays.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,186 times
It's great you are approaching 50's and you have no cavities, no other issues.My in-laws faced crowns problem. My dentist suggests me to put her crowns. I had several crowns put in by him. Just a 5 months after completing this, she had no problem with that area of the mouth. I didn't believe him. That was over 3 years ago and she has been chewing that side of my mouth, sometimes eating nuts and everything.He is a great dentist. She doesn't want to go back to him

Old 04-05-2018, 09:39 PM

494 posts, read 286,161 times
Just curious...Does anyone know why gum disease (since it's a bacteria) can't be cured with antibiotics or penicillin instead of having the bacteria scraped out of your gums?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health