Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 07:52 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times

Advertisements

Upon receiving a less-that-stellar report at the dentist, I was advised to switch from a manual brush (I do have a lot of nooks and crannies with all my dental work, and heads are too large to work effectively in my small mouth), so I halfway committed to it with not the very expensive model, but a cheap battery-operated brush. I have to admit that my teeth are a lot cleaner now! But I wondered if I was using it correctly (no one told me how) and also noticed that it oscillates so violently that I began worrying about it knocking loose an old filling or crown or otherwise damaging my teeth, so I Googled. What are your experiences with this?

How your electric toothbrush can DESTROY your teeth | Daily Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 08:54 AM

629 posts, read 934,577 times
Any tool used incorrectly can cause harm.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:03 AM

That's one issue, but this article seems to suggest that they're inherently harmful (even when used correctly).

Old 12-01-2017, 10:09 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times
14 years since my first and I'm a twice daily brusher, several different hygienists and dentists, none say anything about there being any problem.

It's The Daily Mail, isn't that about on par with the National Enquirer when it comes to reliable information?

As for How to brush, you want the bristles to just kiss the teeth and gums, pointed at about a 45deg angle up towards the gums (so they sweet under and help keep the gums healthy) and in a circular motion. If you PRESS, you're doing the same damage regardless of the brush. If you don't clean under the gums, you're going to have the same negative issue regardless of the brush.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:11 AM

Maybe it's just my cheap, battery-operated choice, but the vibration is such that it's literally "teeth-rattling." I can honestly see fillings loosening and falling out. It's possible I'm pressing too hard (had that problem with the manual, too). Still, I'm not inclined to spend $100 on a toothbrush.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:16 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Years ago when the first one came out thinking back yrs ago I bought one. The over later years and NOW I've worked on finding a great toothbrush and using the Coconut Oil toothpaste Miracle I'm doing so good with teeth. Can't say enough about the anti bacterial properties of CO.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:09 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,980,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I can honestly see fillings loosening and falling out. .
If your fillings are loosening and falling out, it isn't because of your toothbrush.

The only fillings that could ever fall out from a toothbrush would be ones that are badly deteriorated, broken, cracked, no longer doing their job, no longer sealed, and needing to be replaced anyway.

Once your toothbrush batteries have been used for a bit, there will be less energetic vibrating, which will probably be more to your liking. New batteries make it pretty zippy, but not enough to jackhammer the fillings out of your teeth unless they're already broken.

Just don't press the toothbrush hard onto the teeth and hold it there for long, that's overdoing it.

Last edited by oldgardener; 12-01-2017 at 12:18 PM..

Old 12-01-2017, 12:34 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,765,487 times
Quote:
Maybe it's just my cheap, battery-operated choice, but the vibration is such that it's literally "teeth-rattling." I can honestly see fillings loosening and falling out. It's possible I'm pressing too hard (had that problem with the manual, too). Still, I'm not inclined to spend $100 on a toothbrush.
I was told by my hygienist that when using an electric brush to not press the head against the teeth. Basically lightly draw the head over the tooth surface. I was a hard brusher with a manual too, to the point I developed several abrasions.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:07 PM

What motions do you make with it, if any? Circular or just go straight along the gum line or what? I've read that it can strip the tooth of enamel. But that must be a sign that it cleans well!

Old 12-01-2017, 01:09 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,765,487 times
Quote:
What motions do you make with it, if any? Circular or just go straight along the gum line or what? I've read that it can strip the tooth of enamel. But that must be a sign that it cleans well!
Nearly all electric brush heads move in a circular motion. I was instructed to still move it in slow, light circles across the teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health