Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 05:19 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times

Advertisements

I guess I’m unclear why you would need pain medication from a root canal but not an extraction? A root canal kills the nerve(s) while an extraction removes the tooth and leaves a gaping hole where the tooth used to be with a possibility of infection. The root canal really shouldn’t hurt that much after the day of the procedure, while you will have pain where the missing tooth was the day after the extraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 07:47 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
depends. Is the tooth worth saving? Is there infection? Are you just capping a destroyed filling? Which will leave your mouth healthier?

Old 04-18-2018, 07:48 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
A root canal is much less painful than an extraction.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:38 AM

613 posts, read 944,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
My upper molar third from the back has a broken filling and dentist says needs root canal. I think I'd rather have it extracted. The gap won't be noticeable when I smile. More importantly, I'm at a new job in probation period and I'm learning new and difficult things every day. I can't be in pain and unable to concentrate or sleepy from pain medication. I think the extraction would be an easier recovery. Am I right?
Just a broken filling? Is the tooth broken or cracked? You're gonna have a hard time with your teeth if you go for extraction every time you have a problem tooth. And how good is your dentist? Can you afford a 2nd opinion? Have you researched dentists in your area? Yelp can be a big help in that.

Oh, BTW, tooth extraction is WAY worse than a root canal in my experience. Make sure you go to a GOOD endodontist for a root canal tho.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:48 AM

14,311 posts, read 11,702,283 times
I have had one root canal for an abcessed tooth and it was less painful, both during and after the procedure, than any filling I've ever had.

I've also had one extraction. The area was tender for days. It was a wisdom tooth, so there was no gap or shifting of other teeth. I wouldn't have had any other tooth extracted if I could help it.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:08 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
depends. Is the tooth worth saving? Is there infection? Are you just capping a destroyed filling? Which will leave your mouth healthier?

This.

I had 3 extracted since they were infected and cracked - too far gone to save, and the root canal very likely wasn't going to work. Just had two implant posts placed Monday. I have a co-worker who has had multiple root canals and now he's looking at losing the teeth anyway.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:13 PM

716 posts, read 557,637 times
Saw the dentist today. I'm in my mid 50's. He said at my age the teeth won't shift and he's not opposed to extraction. I still have time to reconsider though.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:25 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
My upper molar third from the back has a broken filling and dentist says needs root canal. I think I'd rather have it extracted. The gap won't be noticeable when I smile. More importantly, I'm at a new job in probation period and I'm learning new and difficult things every day. I can't be in pain and unable to concentrate or sleepy from pain medication. I think the extraction would be an easier recovery. Am I right?
Several years ago I had to have a root canal done in order to save the tooth. It was painless and trouble free. And I didn't need any medication for pain afterwards. I can't say that that's the case for everyone, but in my case the root canal went flawlessly.

You don't want a gap from a missing tooth because that can result in instability in the neighboring teeth. Or so I've heard. Actually, having the tooth extracted could potentially cause you a lot more discomfort for a few days afterward. My advice is to get the root canal and keep the tooth. But it's your decision.

Read the link below concerning what dentists have to say about the potential problems you could have if you get a tooth pulled.

https://www.sharecare.com/health/too...oth-extraction

Old 04-19-2018, 12:31 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
For goodness sake - have the root canal. Then you will have the tooth later on in age and will not have problems from a gap in your teeth, which can cause many more problems.

Root canals are nothing these days. They give you anesthetic and you never feel a thing, unlike all that drilling, etc., with a regular filling. I've had several and back at work next day, never looked back. Don't be a wimp. Get the modern dentistry done and you'll thank yourself in the years to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Agreed. I fell asleep during a root canal and I was only given a local anethetic. The dentist got mad at me for falling asleep. There's usually little pain afterward because the nerve is gone from the root. Having it pulled if root canal is an affordable option is a face slapper
I agree with these posters. There are many reasons to leave the original tooth in place.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:58 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Quote:
No.

For one thing, you'd have to replace the extracted tooth to keep your bite alignment. For another thing, the root canal wouldn't have you "in pain and unable to concentrate of sleepy from pain medication."

Your teeth have to last you a lifetime, and your job probation period is very short by comparison to the rest of your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health