Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 09:58 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muiz View Post
no i think this is caused by brushing hard because my gums never bleed and only MILDLY bleed when i brush hard which i shouldnt have done, this recession is caused by that, i went to the dentist last i think like 2017 and had tartar clean up, i dont have tartar now and my gums and teeth are healthy, but i will still book an appointment

no i dont floss either, my brother is a heavy smoke and only brushes and has no cavities or fillings, my sister and other brother are the same too, my dad has bad teeth but because he never brushed and my mum's are probably the same because they dont brush but i think my only problem is that i brushed too hard, like way too hard until they started to bleed, so since yesterday i've been brushing gently and using listerine and the pain has gone

thanks for informing me on this though and i will book an appointment
Healthy gums don't consistently bleed when brushing or flossing. The recommendation for those with healthy gums and teeth is to have a cleaning 2x per year. You haven't been in over a year, you will definitely will have build up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 11:42 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Antioxidants help to keep gums healthy. I'm talking Vit C daily and grape seed extract which save my gums and reducing acidic foods and that means sugars and carbs.

And yes using a soft toothbrush.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:06 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muiz View Post
no i think this is caused by brushing hard because my gums never bleed and only MILDLY bleed when i brush hard which i shouldnt have done, this recession is caused by that, i went to the dentist last i think like 2017 and had tartar clean up, i dont have tartar now and my gums and teeth are healthy, but i will still book an appointment

no i dont floss either, my brother is a heavy smoke and only brushes and has no cavities or fillings, my sister and other brother are the same too, my dad has bad teeth but because he never brushed and my mum's are probably the same because they dont brush but i think my only problem is that i brushed too hard, like way too hard until they started to bleed, so since yesterday i've been brushing gently and using listerine and the pain has gone

thanks for informing me on this though and i will book an appointment

I doubt that very much.

Also, you need to floss whether your family has good teeth or not.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:35 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,304,105 times
I used to say that also about my teeth which hardly ever had cavities flossing is for gums not to prevent cavities I get it I'm the same who likes flossing it sucks. I gag easy and I stay up late at night until I get really sleepy and who wants to stand there and floss when barely awake just want to sleep.

When you go in to see the dentist they are going to probe your pockets between your teeth that is a space where the gum recedes and pockets form. They will call out a number with each tooth it's by MM if the probe goes in 3MM that is good if it's more then not good. I have had pockets deep as 7mm mostly 5 and 6 mm. That's a good indication of the gum disease direct result of not flossing. I'm always surprised how much food is stuck between my teeth when I floss think about those particles of food stuck in there feeding bacteria.

The problem is when we are younger we don't see any problems right away it's down the road the damage is done can't go back really do much with what happened once it's gone too far that's where I'm at now with the gum grafting.

Good luck at the dentist hope works out for you.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:17 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I used to say that also about my teeth which hardly ever had cavities flossing is for gums not to prevent cavities I get it I'm the same who likes flossing it sucks. I gag easy and I stay up late at night until I get really sleepy and who wants to stand there and floss when barely awake just want to sleep.

When you go in to see the dentist they are going to probe your pockets between your teeth that is a space where the gum recedes and pockets form. They will call out a number with each tooth it's by MM if the probe goes in 3MM that is good if it's more then not good. I have had pockets deep as 7mm mostly 5 and 6 mm. That's a good indication of the gum disease direct result of not flossing. I'm always surprised how much food is stuck between my teeth when I floss think about those particles of food stuck in there feeding bacteria.

The problem is when we are younger we don't see any problems right away it's down the road the damage is done can't go back really do much with what happened once it's gone too far that's where I'm at now with the gum grafting.

Good luck at the dentist hope works out for you.
This depends on the dentist. Not all dentists are trained to probe the pockets. The OP needs to make sure to find one trained to do periodontal work and not just restorative work. Some gum disease can be a result of brushing too hard. I have 3 gum grafts primarily in one part of the mouth and the periodontist thought it was because I likely brushed too hard in that area over many years. I generally have excellent hygiene when I go for cleanings. The sonicare toothbrushes now (and maybe others) have warning vibrations if you are brushing too hard in an area, so that is helpful. Obviously the OP also needs to floss, because deep pockets can form between teeth too, but there are different reasons for gum disease.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:14 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,304,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
This depends on the dentist. Not all dentists are trained to probe the pockets. The OP needs to make sure to find one trained to do periodontal work and not just restorative work. Some gum disease can be a result of brushing too hard. I have 3 gum grafts primarily in one part of the mouth and the periodontist thought it was because I likely brushed too hard in that area over many years. I generally have excellent hygiene when I go for cleanings. The sonicare toothbrushes now (and maybe others) have warning vibrations if you are brushing too hard in an area, so that is helpful. Obviously the OP also needs to floss, because deep pockets can form between teeth too, but there are different reasons for gum disease.

I'm on number two gum graft I'm hoping to avoid number 3 run out of places to get it from the roof of my mouth. This last one hurt really bad the glue he put in there fell out the next day burned for 2 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health