Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2020, 05:05 PM

265 posts, read 238,948 times

Advertisements

I need to have a wisdom tooth removed. The lady at the dental office told me that they will also perform a Bone Graft. I have no idea what that is, but she basically told me I needed it because there will be a big hole there. So googling I am not sure if that is even required? If it helps my wisdom teeth has a cavity and is broken. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 05:25 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
I've had two wisdom teeth pulled, both many years ago, the last ones in the back. No bone grafts either time. Eventually the jawbone healed; I don't even have dents there. I HAVE had bone grafts for dental implants, but that's to supplement what bone matter is there already to speed up osseointegration (the bone adapting to and growing around the implant).

I'm not a dentist but you may want to get a second opinion. Bone grafts add to the cost but there may be some reason you need one in your case. Note that you'll be deferred from donating blood for 6 months. It's basically donated bone from cadavers and although I can't imagine how any communicable disease would transfer to the recipient the blood banks are a little fanatic. I have 5 implants and have never had any problems.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I've had two wisdom teeth pulled, both many years ago, the last ones in the back. No bone grafts either time. Eventually the jawbone healed; I don't even have dents there. I HAVE had bone grafts for dental implants, but that's to supplement what bone matter is there already to speed up osseointegration (the bone adapting to and growing around the implant).

I'm not a dentist but you may want to get a second opinion. Bone grafts add to the cost but there may be some reason you need one in your case. Note that you'll be deferred from donating blood for 6 months. It's basically donated bone from cadavers and although I can't imagine how any communicable disease would transfer to the recipient the blood banks are a little fanatic. I have 5 implants and have never had any problems.
Thank you I called my regular dentist and he told me I wont hurt. It is something that is becoming more common he said. I hope is does not hurt, but thanks.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:18 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
Thank you I called my regular dentist and he told me I wont hurt. It is something that is becoming more common he said. I hope is does not hurt, but thanks.
No, it definitely doesn't hurt. I assume you'll have some anaesthetic for the extraction. I doubt the graft adds anything to the pain after the anaesthesia wears off; my implants have mostly required extracting an infected tooth (one had a hairline crack in it), THEN sticking in some bone graft material and installing a titanium plate into the jawbone. They always gave me a prescription for opioids afterwards and I always did fine with one dose of Aleve.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:34 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
I need to have a wisdom tooth removed. The lady at the dental office told me that they will also perform a Bone Graft. I have no idea what that is, but she basically told me I needed it because there will be a big hole there. So googling I am not sure if that is even required? If it helps my wisdom teeth has a cavity and is broken. Thanks.
You need to ask your dentist to explain your situation to you. Not everyone needs bone grafting. But some people do. Why google it, when you have a dentist? You're paying your dentist for his expertise. It's his job to explain it to you in a way that you can understand. If he's not willing to do that, then find a new dentist. If you're not willing to ask him, then no amount of googling will help you feel comfortable about whatever decision you choose to make.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
You need to ask your dentist to explain your situation to you. Not everyone needs bone grafting. But some people do. Why google it, when you have a dentist? You're paying your dentist for his expertise. It's his job to explain it to you in a way that you can understand. If he's not willing to do that, then find a new dentist. If you're not willing to ask him, then no amount of googling will help you feel comfortable about whatever decision you choose to make.
Well my dentist does not do extractions anymore so I had to find a new one just for that procedure. It was then when I was told about the bone grafting. I used the internet to figure out what that was all about. Then I got the idea to call my regular dentist and ask if what I was told was correct, and he pretty much said yes.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:13 AM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Well my dentist does not do extractions anymore so I had to find a new one just for that procedure. It was then when I was told about the bone grafting. I used the internet to figure out what that was all about. Then I got the idea to call my regular dentist and ask if what I was told was correct, and he pretty much said yes.
Again - you need to ask the dentist (by "the" I mean "the specific one tasked with doing the procedure for you") about the bone grafting.

Your OTHER dentist (the one who doesn't pull out wisdom teeth) is not the person you need to ask. He isn't the one who decided that you need the bone grafting. The one who IS pulling the tooth out, is the one who feels you need the bone grafting. That is the one you need to have this discussion with.

Do not rely on the internet to diagnose or recommend treatment for a situation you don't even understand.

Get the information from the (the one doing the procedure) dentist FIRST. Make sure you understand his explanation. If you don't, ask him to explain it in a different way. Keep asking him to explain it until you understand.

THEN you can check things out on the internet if you disagree with his plan of action.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Again - you need to ask the dentist (by "the" I mean "the specific one tasked with doing the procedure for you") about the bone grafting.

Your OTHER dentist (the one who doesn't pull out wisdom teeth) is not the person you need to ask. He isn't the one who decided that you need the bone grafting. The one who IS pulling the tooth out, is the one who feels you need the bone grafting. That is the one you need to have this discussion with.

Do not rely on the internet to diagnose or recommend treatment for a situation you don't even understand.

Get the information from the (the one doing the procedure) dentist FIRST. Make sure you understand his explanation. If you don't, ask him to explain it in a different way. Keep asking him to explain it until you understand.

THEN you can check things out on the internet if you disagree with his plan of action.
Ok thank you for your advice. I did ask the dentist but I wanted to get more information hence this post, google, YouTube, yelp and calling my dentist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health