Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2021, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 2,084 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.

This is gonna be a long one so bear with me.

6 months ago (January) I was having sensitivity issues with my upper molars on both sides, and on one side I had this dark hole(?).

I hadn't been to the dentist in a really long time, and while I brushed daily I rarely flossed..

When I went in I had alot of cavities between my teeth.

Now here is where the trouble begins.

I have my 2nd molar on the lower left side and my 2 premolars filled with composite fillings..

I went back less than a week later to finish the rest of my dental work (was supposed to move away later that month but it never happened so I ended up with messed up teeth for nothing)..

I then had the top right side filled (2 molars with composites).

I immediately started having sensitivity issues with both sides and I couldn't really chew anything remotely hard on them, but I thought that it'll probably improve in a week or 2 but boy was I wrong.

A couple of weeks later I was eating some blueberries and grapes and instantly all my new fillings became REALLY sensitive. Now I don't mean sensitive to hard foods. I mean sensitive to just touching them. Just putting my finger on them caused a shooting pain. The toothbrush touching it was the same.. I spent almost a week or something not eating anything on both sides and just nibbling on soft foods using my front teeth.

After that torture I was finally able to start eating soft foods again and it gradually got better where I could eat stuff that isn't hard at all (so no nuts, no granola bars...). This was back in March.

After that my first top right molar started getting really bad sensitivity issues to literally anything, so I had it replaced with a silver filling since I'd never had any issues with them.

It was sore for a week or 2 but then started gradually improving and I remember being able to eat some hard stuff on that side.

A couple of weeks later I went back because of a crown with decay under it which I was replacing and I had that top right composite polished.

That was 5 weeks ago and it started hurting back then and I was unable to eat anything no matter how soft, and it's the same up to this moment and I feel like it's botched beyond repair..

Now 2 days ago I made a huge mistake by drinking lemon tea and now the composites on the bottom left are back to the "literally touch" sensitivity.. (2nd molar and 2 premolars)

Now I'm stuck with a non-functioning mouth and I can't eat anything but yogurt and soup and I'm feeling like ****.

I went to the dentist yesterday and he took x-rays and said that everything looked fine..

He said the next step would be a root canal for the bottom left 2nd molar. (The 2 premolars weren't sensitive until last night after I got back from him so I never mentioned them to him). He gave me this syringe with a round tip that attaches to it and told me to give it a try by putting it on the sensitive teeth before I sleep.

Now I'd normally say let's get this over and get that root canal done, but guess what? My insurance has only less than $200 left for this year and if I decide to do it I'll have to pay the rest out of pocket..

I don't know what to do at this point. I feel like my mouth is effed up beyond repair now and I'll need at least 4 root canals for these teeth to be able to go back to normal.

I really wish I'd just ignored that sugar sensitivity I had in January so I wouldn't end up like this...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 12:09 AM

506 posts, read 2,574,211 times
How big were the fillings? Were they close to the nerve?
Pain on biting can mean a crack in the tooth.
Night time pain or non-stop throbbing pain can mean the tooth needs a root canal.
Wouldn't hurt to get a 2nd opinion from a reputable dentist.
Post radiographs (xrays) if you can.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:12 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,059,059 times
An interesting video on related to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o_8wT0k33M

Old 04-04-2022, 09:12 AM

9,117 posts, read 6,170,326 times
"My insurance has only less than $200 left for this year and if I decide to do it I'll have to pay the rest out of pocket.."

Your decision is quite clear. Go over your budget and find the money.

You can probably work out a payment schedule with the dentist.

Let's see: Starbucks or less pain???? New iPhone or less pain???? HBO Max or less pain???

Old 04-06-2022, 02:00 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,401,655 times
Another option would be to just have the offending teeth removed. Yes, it's unsightly and yes, it means your eating options will be limited. But it's the least expensive of the bunch. Oh and you'll eventually need bone grafting, OR you'll have to deal with the other teeth getting loose and damaged and needing to be removed. But you would rather neglect and pay later, rather than maintain, and pay now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health