Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 03:17 PM

19 posts, read 19,446 times

Advertisements

alright so i finally decided to see the dentist after my tooth hurting me for 2 years. Well their is good news and band news. The good news is the tooth is not yet infected but the bad news is it has a large cavity nearing the nerve. Because the cavity is near the nerve i have 2 choices root canal or extraction. Of course the obvious option would be root canal but i only had one root canal in my life that failed and got infected and i really don't want to go thru that again. My next option is extraction which is also the cheapest option only $250 vs $2000 for the root canal. Their is also pain in the gum near the tooth so i really don't know whether it is worth going for a root canal that has a chance of failing. What do you think i should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 04:16 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Is the dentist leaning one way or another? What about getting a second opinion? Maybe hearing two different professional opinions would help make up your mind. Its got to be more than the money, but how essential is that particular tooth? What would happen to the adjacent teeth if you pulled it? They might move a lot and compromise your bite.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Is the dentist leaning one way or another? What about getting a second opinion? Maybe hearing two different professional opinions would help make up your mind. Its got to be more than the money, but how essential is that particular tooth? What would happen to the adjacent teeth if you pulled it? They might move a lot and compromise your bite.
The dentist is leaning towards root canal. Additionally, the tooth next to it has a cavity too but it's smaller so i just need a filling. I also have one leaky filling from years ago. But other then that my teeth seem pretty good. So im thinking im gonna try the root canal again but if it fails then i guess it fails another $2k down the toilet.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:02 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover308 View Post
The dentist is leaning towards root canal. Additionally, the tooth next to it has a cavity too but it's smaller so i just need a filling. I also have one leaky filling from years ago. But other then that my teeth seem pretty good. So im thinking im gonna try the root canal again but if it fails then i guess it fails another $2k down the toilet.
It's a shame you had a root canal failure, I have four of them, one of them got infected after several years, and I had a redo instead of an extraction, root canals saved those four teeth. I have good dental insurance from my former company, the redo only cost me $235 out of pocket. I wouldn't let a regular dentist do a root canal, go to an endodontist.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:11 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
get a consult from an endodontist first. i would choose the root canal if that was an option.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:31 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Why in the world did you ignore it for 2 years? You could have had the best option of all, a simple filling for a couple hundred bucks, and a tooth that lasts forever.

Anyway at this point, definitely get the root canal. Does the $2000 include the crown?

Old 09-17-2021, 09:14 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
The most practical questions you have to ask yourself first is "How important is this tooth for me to eat food? How much do I need that tooth? How will my eating and speaking abilities be impaired by losing the tooth?"

You never said where the tooth is located. Is it a back molar tooth that you need for the heaviest chewing and masticating your food really well? Or is it a front tooth you need for talking properly so people can understand you without you having to yell at them, and for biting into and severing off things like apples, corn on the cob, the meat on chicken drumsticks, biting into a ham sandwich or bacon cheeseburger?

You can be guaranteed that having the tooth extracted and not replaced WILL cause you some kind of impairments to either eating and digesting your food effectively and to speaking properly so you don't lisp and hiss when you talk.

Do not get a root canal and a crown, the crowns don't last as long as they should and if they do last longer than usual they will eventually wear down the remaining root and shift out of place or break off too easily and that shatters the root and bone that the crown post is cemented to and you might end up needing to have oral surgery to have all the bits and pieces of shattered root and pieces of broken bone removed.

My suggestion is to keep the tooth and get the root canal and any required fillings. Root canals and fillings are your friends that help you to keep your own teeth for a lot longer than implants or crowns. Or your 2nd best alternative is you can pay 3 or 4 times more money to have it extracted and have a full implant put in its place if it's a tooth that you really need. But implants don't last much longer than crowns.

Old 09-18-2021, 12:45 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The most practical questions you have to ask yourself first is "How important is this tooth for me to eat food? How much do I need that tooth? How will my eating and speaking abilities be impaired by losing the tooth?"

You never said where the tooth is located. Is it a back molar tooth that you need for the heaviest chewing and masticating your food really well? Or is it a front tooth you need for talking properly so people can understand you without you having to yell at them, and for biting into and severing off things like apples, corn on the cob, the meat on chicken drumsticks, biting into a ham sandwich or bacon cheeseburger?

You can be guaranteed that having the tooth extracted and not replaced WILL cause you some kind of impairments to either eating and digesting your food effectively and to speaking properly so you don't lisp and hiss when you talk.

Do not get a root canal and a crown, the crowns don't last as long as they should and if they do last longer than usual they will eventually wear down the remaining root and shift out of place or break off too easily and that shatters the root and bone that the crown post is cemented to and you might end up needing to have oral surgery to have all the bits and pieces of shattered root and pieces of broken bone removed.

My suggestion is to keep the tooth and get the root canal and any required fillings. Root canals and fillings are your friends that help you to keep your own teeth for a lot longer than implants or crowns. Or your 2nd best alternative is you can pay 3 or 4 times more money to have it extracted and have a full implant put in its place if it's a tooth that you really need. But implants don't last much longer than crowns.

I agree with most of what you say but if its a molar you really need a crown. Front teeth might not. I have never had any of the problems you mention with crowns, and I've had some for 30 years and still the original crown. They may pop off after a decade or two but can often be just glued back on (preferably by your dentist)

Old 09-18-2021, 01:13 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
You want to keep your own teeth in your mouth for as long as possible. Get a 2nd opinion if you don't completely trust your dentist.

Old 09-18-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

It is tooth number 13 or a Bicuspid/premolar. But yes im already missing 2 teeth so i think im gonna attempt to get a root canal it's gonna be alot of money but what can you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health