Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 06:07 AM

226 posts, read 214,592 times

Advertisements

My 90 year old mother just had all of her upper teeth pulled and is having difficulty adjusting to wearing a denture. She doesn't want to get implants because she feels that it is a long process and a lot of money to spend at her age. I thought a good compromise might be snap-in dentures because it will cut down on the amount of prep work every day and cleaning glue off every night. Problem is that I don't know anyone who has ever had them so I don't know if they will be easier for her.

Has anyone had any experience with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 06:59 AM

7,011 posts, read 4,813,910 times
I don’t have personal experience with them, but they are an implant surgery. More expensive than regular dentures.

The denture is held into place with screws implanted into the jawbone.

So they may be more stable and more comfortable, but it is considered a surgical procedure, and a rather costly one. Not sure if insurance would cover.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:15 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,218,259 times
I have a snap in denture for my upper middle teeth. It consists of 4 teeth. I have no issues inserting them or removing them. I typically take them out at night and insert them in the morning. They fit very comfortably between my real teeth with no glue or anything. I'm an alcoholic in recovery and during my drinking years, dental hygiene, particularly at night was a hit or miss proposition. Good luck!

Old 10-25-2021, 11:56 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilbyandDixie View Post
My 90 year old mother just had all of her upper teeth pulled and is having difficulty adjusting to wearing a denture. She doesn't want to get implants because she feels that it is a long process and a lot of money to spend at her age. I thought a good compromise might be snap-in dentures because it will cut down on the amount of prep work every day and cleaning glue off every night. Problem is that I don't know anyone who has ever had them so I don't know if they will be easier for her.

She would still need implants for this procedure, and will still be quite costly, though less than the permanent type. I am 72 and will be having surgery next year for upper extractions and implants. Insurance does NOT cover this type work. Going to cost around $40,000 total, and that is just for upper jaw. If I were 90 y.o., no way would I go through all this. It is major surgery after all. Hopefully the dentist can help her with a better fit, it takes time to adjust.

Old 10-25-2021, 03:24 PM

226 posts, read 214,592 times
I do understand that she would still need to have 2 implants put in for the snaps, and I know it would be more expensive, but if it makes it easier for her to deal with putting in her teeth and taking them out every day then I think it is worth it.

I am more interested in hearing from anyone who has had them if they are much easier and more comfortable than regular dentures. At this point I am only looking to make her daily routine simpler and more "gag-free"!

Old 10-29-2021, 11:40 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,062,046 times
I have neither dentures nor implants, but I expect I may need a couple of implants for back teeth in the next year or two.

However, when I was researching implants a while ago, I remember reading an academic journal article that discussed how implant dentures (by which I think they meant the snap-on ones) worked a lot better for the people in their study than regular dentures.

The snap-in ones can be left in indefinitely, right? And they feel more like natural teeth? At least that's what I think the article said. Sorry, I can't remember all the details.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:16 PM

629 posts, read 932,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilbyandDixie View Post

I'm a dentist who has done a lot of snap in dentures. I have had a ton of denture patients asking for implants, but never any implant patients asking for dentures. Take that for what you will.

If she can afford it, I would tell her to do it (snap in dentures). She's 90. She can't take the money with her. Let her spend her remaining years enjoying her meals with confidence instead of gumming it or fiddling around with a bunch of glue.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:58 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Is bone loss an issue for a 90 year old?

My (71 year old) spouse was told he couldn't have implants because he had lost too much underlying bone. But this was probably 8 years ago. He would be thrilled to hear that there have been advances in implant surgery.

Old 01-17-2022, 10:29 PM

7,076 posts, read 4,517,580 times
They use cadaver bone if you don’t have enough of your own. Locally the snap in dentures cost the same as a implant supported denture which only a dentist can remove. It was a 6 month process and quite painful. 5 years ago mine cost 40k.

Old 01-17-2022, 11:52 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,927,256 times
If your Mother JUST had her teeth pulled, is she working with a temporary denture ? They usually put in a temp until gum swelling goes down and they don't fit that well. Get her a good fitting permanent denture, use Fixodent and she'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health