Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 06:01 AM

325 posts, read 2,995,765 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter whether you signed a treatment plan or even a consent form. If you made it clear that you did not want a root canal, then you did not consent to treatment. Final authority of what treatment can be done is ALWAYS the patient's (the dentist may also refuse treatment if it is unethical/unwarranted). For something as serious as what you're referring to, I'd go straight to your state dental board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 03:00 AM

242 posts, read 1,187,468 times
Default Tell me your experienc having a root canal

Now days it is done so fast. I had two molars that went bad on me in the 1970's. I was only chewing on the right side of my mouth, so I was told I needed a root canal, oh boy lots of novacaine and it took a couple of visits to the ROOT CANAL DENTIST. On the second visit, I told the dentist, my other MOLAR hurts me too, he told me, here I am the one with the PAIN, and he tells me, TWO MOLARS CAN NOT GO BAD at the SAME TIME. I told that idiot, I feel the pain, you do not, do something. HE REFUSED TO HELP ME. He said,he is only going to do ONE ROOT CANAL AND THAT WAS IT! I never stopped complaining on how many times I had to go in. So it was my last visit and the ROOT CANAL WOULD BE FINISHED. ================================================== = I said please do something I am in so much pain. SO he said, OK,so he opened up the filling... it was ALL ABSCESSED INSIDE... He said, I should of listened to you, now he said, he learned a lesson, to listen to his patients. So he worked on it and told me he hopes that he can save that MOLAR. HE DID. ================================================== =BUT I SUFFERED for ONE FULL YEAR 24/7 with constant pain. But both root canal molars lasted for 25 years. I never had them capped tho they broke 2 times. The 3rd time they broke I was living in Hawaii, and I had 100% dental coverage and I had to get them both CAPPED. I did learn something. That once teeth are capped, that they are MORE PRONE to get more bacteria seeping under the gumline, no matter how much you brush your teeth. That is why I think I lost them both in 1998. But I had to get them capped.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:22 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,869,479 times
Default Root Canal Experience

I have had several root canals and they are not all that bad. You do have to keep your mouth open for a long time, however, the endodontist will allow you to have breaks...they don't expect anyone to have to hold their mouth open for that long.

The rubber dam they use in your mouth is irritating...that's about it for that part. The technician working with the dentist keeps the rest of your mouth dry.

I never tasted whatever it is that they use to wash out each canal as they clean it. Keep in mind that not every person has the same number of canals in their teeth. Some of mine had 3 canals some had 4...all different.

You will be so numb from the novacaine that you won't mind them working on you at all. I am not afraid of the Dentist so I just go in and get things over with. If you are nervous, please try not to be...there are so many precautions taken now. The xrays are again no big deal. I don't like the way the xray card thing that they put into your mouth feels but that too lasts only a short while.

As for after pain...you will be sore but that is also about it. Once the roots were taken out of the tooth, the pain I felt prior to having the root canal was gone so it was worth it.

After the root canal your dentist will talk to you about putting a crown on the tooth or whatever else he feels you may need. Good Luck and RELAX...I know the dentist can be scary but this procedure is really not that bad.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:37 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,227,348 times
I have a broken molar on the bottom that I'm told needs a root canal. So I went to the Dentist today and after 7 shots my tooth was still not numb. My whole face was numb and sagging but I could feel everything when it came to my tooth. He simply put the metal clamp on and it hurt, so endodontist here I come. I'm sick and tired of local anesthesia having no effect on my teeth, I wish I could find a local dentist that had waterlase.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:58 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,805,417 times
Default Nitrous Oxide

For any procedure that I have I ask for Nitrous as I have an irrational, immobilizing fear of pain in any dental procedure. My dentist now provides it - and its worth it!

Old 03-31-2009, 02:00 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,509,301 times
painful...especially when they stick that toothpick thingy up within the tooth to breakup and pull out the root.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,200,093 times
GOOD DRUGS!!
I was KNOCKED OUT... The endodontist prescribed some kind of relaxing drug... I was OUT...
Best thing ever!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:12 AM

325 posts, read 2,995,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I have a broken molar on the bottom that I'm told needs a root canal. So I went to the Dentist today and after 7 shots my tooth was still not numb. My whole face was numb and sagging but I could feel everything when it came to my tooth. He simply put the metal clamp on and it hurt, so endodontist here I come. I'm sick and tired of local anesthesia having no effect on my teeth, I wish I could find a local dentist that had waterlase.
A waterlase won't fix anesthesia problems. It also hasn't been proven to be useful during root canals. There are two things you can do before your appointment. First, take an Ibuprofen 600mg (if your stomach allows). A pre-operative pain killer has been proven to reduce post-operative pain. Second, try to relax. Anxiety and tension DECREASE pain threshold.

Tell your endodontist/dentist that you normally have problems getting numb. That will inform him/her that you may need additional anesthetic or supplemental injections. You could have nerve fibers innervating your teeth from areas that are not "normal" so they'll need to be individually anesthetized. Supplemental anesthetics could be administered into the bone or directly into the pulp. Hope this helps.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:29 AM

147 posts, read 395,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I am probably going to need one soon--my dentist says I have irreversible pulpitis, even though I don't have any major symptoms except occasional pain on chewing on a cracked tooth. I am really scared about having a root canal.

Is it as bad as everyone says? Can you comment specifically about:

-having to keep your mouth open that long
-can you swallow throughout the procedure
-pain
-rubber dam--is this scary
-the use of bleach to irrigate the canals--did you taste this?
-x-rays taken during procedure
-how long did it take (mine will be lower molar)
-are some teeth worse than others in terms of pain, time, etc.
root canals are less painful than a cavity iv had plenty of them includin 2 this week

Old 04-02-2009, 01:10 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,227,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipar View Post
A waterlase won't fix anesthesia problems. It also hasn't been proven to be useful during root canals. There are two things you can do before your appointment. First, take an Ibuprofen 600mg (if your stomach allows). A pre-operative pain killer has been proven to reduce post-operative pain. Second, try to relax. Anxiety and tension DECREASE pain threshold.

Tell your endodontist/dentist that you normally have problems getting numb. That will inform him/her that you may need additional anesthetic or supplemental injections. You could have nerve fibers innervating your teeth from areas that are not "normal" so they'll need to be individually anesthetized. Supplemental anesthetics could be administered into the bone or directly into the pulp. Hope this helps.
Well you were exactly right, lol. The Endodontist gave me double the dosage plus additional shots into the tooth and it took care of it completely. It was actually pain free except for those injections directly into my tooth. All together it was a pleasant experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health