Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 12:48 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times

Advertisements

I just got back from my semi-annual dental check up and I am feeling elated. No new cavities, and no new crowns needed. Just a couple of things to monitor. I had to wait almost an hour to get into the chair, but that gave me a chance to catch up on reading old issues of TIME magazine, which I hadn't read since the last time I was there. I'm glad it's over. Going to the dentist is one of the few things that makes me wish I could be on the job, sitting at my desk working instead.

May your next dental check up go as smoothly as mine did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 12:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
On behalf of people everywhere who are dentally challenged... I SALUTE YOU!!

Old 03-09-2010, 01:00 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Mine's tomorrow. It's been over a year since the last one. But I swear by my power-toothbrush and dental floss, so hopefully all will be well.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:37 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
I just got back from my semi-annual dental check up and I am feeling elated. No new cavities, and no new crowns needed. Just a couple of things to monitor. I had to wait almost an hour to get into the chair, but that gave me a chance to catch up on reading old issues of TIME magazine, which I hadn't read since the last time I was there. I'm glad it's over. Going to the dentist is one of the few things that makes me wish I could be on the job, sitting at my desk working instead.

ComicW

I'm curious if you use flouride free toothpaste as i keep hearing positive and negative things about flouride helping to prevent cavities or not?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:24 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,023,709 times
congrats, Cosmic!!! personally, I love the dentist.
6'3, i've been using flouride free tp for at least 3 years, and have had no more issues than usual. actually no issues.

oh wait, when im stressed, i brush really hard. so dentist gave me a sample of that toothpaste sensodyne, or something. i noticed after 2 wks or so, my gums were getting very pale. happened twice!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
6'3, i've been using flouride free tp for at least 3 years, and have had no more issues than usual. actually no issues.

oh wait, when im stressed, i brush really hard. so dentist gave me a sample of that toothpaste sensodyne, or something. i noticed after 2 wks or so, my gums were getting very pale. happened twice!
Thanks for giving us your personal experience here Stoymonkey !!

I usually rotate using Colgate Total in a medium tube to when empty using Jason Sea Fresh (flouride free) as i haven't been to the dentist in 20 years and ''knock on wood'' my teeth and gums are doing just fine as i'll probably just use Jason brand exclusively in the future since i hear alot of people say they are doing fine with flouride free toothpaste.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:09 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
6 FOOT 3 wrote:
I'm curious if you use flouride free toothpaste......
I abandoned floride toothpaste many years ago, perhaps it's been as long as 35 years. In recent years I've used a variety of Jason toothpastes, because they are free of Sodium Laurel Sulfate and flouride.

The dental issues ( mostly a need for crowns to replace broken teeth ) I've had during the past 10 years stem from a mouthful of mercury fillings from my childhood years. Over time the fillings caused the tooth to weaken and break. All of my molars are now crowned. Our city water was flouridated back then, and obviously it did not benefit my teeth in any way. Once I fled the coop and assumed responsibility for my own dental bills I cut out the flouride. I don't drink flouridated water or use toothpaste containing flouride. It makes no sense to put yet another controversial chemical into my body that provided no perceivable benefit when I was partaking of it. I don't know wether or not it's actually harmful, but I'm totally unwilling to risk using it again.

The upside to replacing the mercury laced, broken teeth with crowns, is that I no longer have any of the old mercury fillings polluting my bio-spiritual energy system.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 03-15-2010 at 01:42 PM..

Old 03-15-2010, 04:54 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
I had my very first cavity just 2 weeks ago Well, almost 27 years with zero dental issues, so I suppose I'm not doing too shabby.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
6 FOOT 3 wrote:
I'm curious if you use flouride free toothpaste......
I abandoned floride toothpaste many years ago, perhaps it's been as long as 35 years. In recent years I've used a variety of Jason toothpastes, because they are free of Sodium Laurel Sulfate and flouride.

The dental issues ( mostly a need for crowns to replace broken teeth ) I've had during the past 10 years stem from a mouthful of mercury fillings from my childhood years. Over time the fillings caused the tooth to weaken and break. All of my molars are now crowned. Our city water was flouridated back then, and obviously it did not benefit my teeth in any way. Once I fled the coop and assumed responsibility for my own dental bills I cut out the flouride. I don't drink flouridated water or use toothpaste containing flouride. It makes no sense to put yet another controversial chemical into my body that provided no perceivable benefit when I was partaking of it. I don't know wether or not it's actually harmful, but I'm totally unwilling to risk using it again.
Thanks again CosmicWizard as i'm glad you gave us an account of your personal experience using non flouridated toothpaste
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health