Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 04:08 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,723,851 times

Advertisements

Find a tongue scraper (a good plastic one is preferable) at your local health food store or if there isn't one near you then you should be able to find one at the pharmacy or even in the super market in the area where dental supplies are sold.
Use that daily.
That should take care of the symptom from day to day but if you're open to Chinese Medicine and can find an experienced Chinese herbalist and/or acupuncturist he/she will look at your tongue as a diagnostic method.
I doubt it's a yeast issue and if you're receptive to the Chinese Medical paradigm you can use this symptom as a way to get to the cause of this symptom and improve your overall health.
Again, find a very experienced acupuncturist / Chinese herbalist and preferably one that someone you trust recommends.
Of course the presence of such a practitioner depends on where you live and whether or not there's any alternative healing in your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 04:14 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
I have a problem that is minor compared to most, but still an annoyance to me. Most of the time my tongue is coated, usually a white coating. I have been to the Dr/s and they tell me it is not yeast but just things I eat that is causing it and it should go away. But it doesn't. I have tried to get rid of it by using mouthwash but it does not do anything. I am at a loss as to how to get rid of it. I am somewhat embarrassed from it and would like to get my tongue back to the normal.

Any ideas?
Are you by chance using Listerine Whitening? I tried it and got the same thing. Stopped using it, and not problems. Don't use mouthwash at all - it's not necessary if you brush and floss.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:56 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,228 times
I use a tooth brush. I've learned to relax my tongue so it doesn't make me gag, and I only do one side at a time.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:10 PM

421 posts, read 2,533,837 times
Halotosis is mainly from bacteria on your tongue, not your teeth! Just brush your tongue after you brush your teeth and you'll be surprised. Remember, bacteria do live on your tongue as well and there are fissures in your tongue that can harbor bacteria. You obviously did the right thing but having a doctor take a look at your tongue because if you're seeing white spots on your tongue and it's not wipable, meaning you can't wipe it off with a 2x2 guaze, that could spell trouble. Squamous cell carcinoma comes to mind as well as a few others. It's something I routinely check for when I do exams on my patients. It may just be some deep fissures in your tongue that's harboring plaques and bacteria.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:27 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I use a tooth brush. I've learned to relax my tongue so it doesn't make me gag, and I only do one side at a time.

A scraper works better and you can do it in one scrape. Not so with a brush.

I've used the plastic ones, they are not nearly as good as the metal.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:12 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,419 times
You have to use the tongue scraper everyday just like your body is getting rid of the toxins everyday. That's what the gunk is; your bodies "other" way to get rid of the environmental toxins we take in each day.

Some people are more susceptible then others but the tongue and it's coat tell a story of health.

Even though I've improved my diet it still needs the daily scraping (I do it at night as well). It's part of oral health for many people.

Some use scrapers, toothbrushes, spoons etc...

The trick is not to scrape it to death; do the sides and then down the middle and repeat until smooth. But it is a daily maintinence task for best results.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:41 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
You have to use the tongue scraper everyday just like your body is getting rid of the toxins everyday. That's what the gunk is; your bodies "other" way to get rid of the environmental toxins we take in each day.

Some people are more susceptible then others but the tongue and it's coat tell a story of health.

Even though I've improved my diet it still needs the daily scraping (I do it at night as well). It's part of oral health for many people.

Some use scrapers, toothbrushes, spoons etc...

The trick is not to scrape it to death; do the sides and then down the middle and repeat until smooth. But it is a daily maintinence task for best results.
A horseshoe shaped metal scraper will cover the entire tongue and do it in one scrape. Be careful at first though as if you do it too hard you'll get a sore tongue!

Old 05-06-2010, 05:16 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,723,851 times
the hard plastic ones are as effective and friendlier / gentler.
i'm someone who can't stand putting metal in my mouth.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:16 AM

29 posts, read 111,714 times
You might ask a good dentist or go to a ORL surgeon.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:06 AM

175 posts, read 846,562 times
Thanks for the good information and I am looking for a tongue scraper. All this information is very useful. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health