Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 7,967 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am looking to move to CO from CA by the August/September of next year! I just graduated college this past May and I'm trying to find a better paying job to help pay for the big move! I have visted CO (right after graduation), and I think it would be an awesome place to live -much different from California. What do you think are the best towns/cities for an early 20's college grad that is *not* into the party scene (I'm not 420 friendly and I rarely drink)? Some details/questions below:

-I will *hopefully* be attending Univ of CO, Denver's masters program in the fall of next year. I haven't quite decided whether I want to do it traditionally (in class) or online, so I would like to be at least 30-45 mins from Denver (I'm used to a commute, as my commute to from my current home and my undergrad college was 45 mins).

- I, like everyone else I'm sure, would like afforable housing (like under 900$ for a one bedroom apartment w/ garage), and low crime rate (I've heard of Denver's gang problem)

-What is the job market like? I have applied for several admin type positions out there to test the waters, but can't tell if people don't take me seriously because I'm out of state, or are there that many super experienced people out of work?

-I would like a city/town with/near horse stables. When I went to CO, Longmont and Parker (beautiful horse park!) were the only places I saw horses. I ride hunter/jumper and would love to do the same out there.

Thanks in advance for the responses. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 08:57 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,743 times
That is a tall order if you need a job when you get there. Based on your post, I think you haven't investigated the job market yet.

Colorado is an extremely popular relocation state. That translates into employers being able to choose from the cream of the crop and get it for a big bargain. Read through the Fort Collins forum. One employer was able to hire college graduates for $11.00 an hour for call center jobs.

The state colleges are very good. Have you been accepted by the U of CO yet?
If you don't need to work when you get there, $900 a month will get a pretty nice place in the DMA. I don't know what it costs to stable a horse there.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:10 PM

Yes, I have looked into the job market (applying for jobs), but not the fullest extent as I need to. I plan on getting a job there before the actual move, but I was a little surprised to get no responses from any of the jobs I have applied for there (we're talking 50+ resumes sent out). What you're saying makes sense of it though, with it being a popular relocation area.

I haven't been accepted to U of CO yet, but it's one of many schools I'm applying to.

Unfortunately, I will need a job when I get there, so it seems that's going to make or break the actual move.

Thanks for your response, I'll need to look more into the job market and see if this is as feasible as I hoped it would be.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:24 PM

Any other ideas, tips, or suggestions?

Old 08-09-2010, 04:08 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Not to be Debbie Downer's older brother here... but I would not expect to be able to find a job in Denver without moving here first. You're resume will get thrown straight in the trash, or application deleted the instant they see an out of state address. If you're planning on going to grad school here, then consider that your ticket to Denver.

I'm not sure why anyone would attend CU Denver as an out of state student, paying all that out of state tuition? It's just not going to deliver much "bang for the buck." If you're going to spend all that extra money, might as well at least go to CU Boulder or CSU (Fort Collins) or DU (if you are offered scholarships to make it financially feasible), schools which actually have some name brand recognition in the area.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:15 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,743 times
I'd have to agree with vegas. Establishing your state residency before going to school is a good idea.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:30 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
I am looking to move to CO from CA by the August/September of next year! I just graduated college this past May and I'm trying to find a better paying job to help pay for the big move! I have visted CO (right after graduation), and I think it would be an awesome place to live -much different from California. What do you think are the best towns/cities for an early 20's college grad that is *not* into the party scene (I'm not 420 friendly and I rarely drink)? Some details/questions below:
Denver will give you the most balanced living experience. You'll have the city and social opportunities. You'll also be close to the mountains. The people in Denver are from all walks of life, so you can find whatever kinds of friends you want.

Quote:
- I, like everyone else I'm sure, would like afforable housing (like under 900$ for a one bedroom apartment w/ garage), and low crime rate (I've heard of Denver's gang problem)
For a city of its size, Denver has less crime than you would expect. Most of the city is tranquil and safe.

Quote:
-What is the job market like?
Not good. Very slow.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:45 AM

618 posts, read 1,366,093 times
Hi there,

I moved from Northern California to Colorado a few years ago. It wasn't until I put a local address on my resume that I began to receive call backs from potential employers. Unless you are highly skilled and experienced, no employer is going to help fund a move for a young employee.

UC Denver has some great graduate programs, but keep in mind that it takes at least a year to establish residency. In addition, most of the University of California schools are significantly better than any of the schools in Colorado.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:48 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
UC Denver has some great graduate programs, but keep in mind that it takes at least a year to establish residency. In addition, most of the University of California schools are significantly better than any of the schools in Colorado.
UC Boulder is as good as most of the universities in California.

Colorado School of Mines is one of best engineering universities in the country. It's on par with CalTech.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:11 AM

618 posts, read 1,366,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
UC Boulder is as good as most of the universities in California.

Colorado School of Mines is one of best engineering universities in the country. It's on par with CalTech.

Hmmm...according the U.S. News Rankings for public universities - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report - CU and Mines rank 34th, while Berkeley is 1, UCLA is 2, UCSD is 7, Davis and Santa Barbara are 11, Irvine is 14 and Santa Cruz is 29.

According to their ranking of engineering schools (Rankings - Best Engineering Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report), Boulder is 39 and Mines is 63, while Berkeley is 3, San Diego is 13, UCLA is 15, Santa Barbara is 19, Davis is 32 and Irvine is 36.

Regardless of ranking education is what you are able to make of it. I know people who have gone on to success after graduating from schools like Westwood College and University of Phoenix. However, if the OP intends to go to grad school at a major public institution, he/she may find better options, in-state tuition, and more possibilities in California. In addition, Colorado public universities are in a state of crisis right now with public funding on the verge of disappearing. It is very possible that the states contribution to the CU's budget will be 0% next year after stimulus funds run out. If that happens, tuition costs are likely to increase significantly --- I'm hearing potentially doubling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver