Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:33 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly926 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Next year I will be relocating to Westminster from Las Vegas and I would like some tips and advice on the weather in Denver, Colorado.

Here is a little background. I was born in Chicago and lived there for 15 years and then moved to Las Vegas but I have never driven in snow. I received my driver license while living in Las Vegas and now that I am 31 I want a change in scenery. I have already decided on upgrading my car to an SUV Jeep Chereokee.

So here are my questions:

1. How bad does the snow get there? (like Chiacgo)
2. Does it rain a lot there? In Vegas we receive very little, just enought to mess up you car.
3. Will I need special tires or equipment for my vehicle?
4. How long do the winters last?
5. Is there anything I need to know?
You're wasting your money buying an SUV. You don't need one to get around in Denver, even in snow. This will be my 9th winter in Denver and never had I needed an SUV to get down the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 02:10 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That's a pretty stupid comparison. I could find you a picture of 6' of snow on the beach in Corpus Cristi, TX. So then it's the same climate as Denver?

Your comparison doesn't take into account humidity, average highs, or average number of days with snow on the ground.
I disagree. I believe the pictures are a fair representation of a typical Denver blizzard that occurs every few years. That storm was not even close to the worst that I experienced, while living in Denver. And the pictures even show the famous day after sunshine that is supposed to always melt the snow in a few days. Only problem, in that case, it took the sun another 38 days to melt that snow down to the ground.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you can't handle a couple of months of constant sub-freezing temperatures, and snow on the ground, don't move to Denver. Because it will happen sooner or latter. If you can handle it, Denver is a great place to live.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:13 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I disagree. I believe the pictures are a fair representation of a typical Denver blizzard that occurs every few years. That storm was not even close to the worst that I experienced, while living in Denver. And the pictures even show the famous day after sunshine that is supposed to always melt the snow in a few days. Only problem, in that case, it took the sun another 38 days to melt that snow down to the ground.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you can't handle a couple of months of constant sub-freezing temperatures, and snow on the ground, don't move to Denver. Because it will happen sooner or latter. If you can handle it, Denver is a great place to live.
Oh. It's YOU again

Anyone who's lived in Chicago and then comes to Denver thinks winters here are MUCH nicer, sunnier, and warmer.

To the OP, don't worry about this poster. He comes here and makes up things about how horrible the weather is in Denver. It's not below freezing for 2 months straight here. Average January highs are at 43 degrees. Every few years there is a blizzard, but this will be my 9th winter in Denver and I've only experienced one blizzard. Most winters there isn't constant snow on the ground. Actually, only one winter 4 years ago had a long period of time with snow-packed streets.

Let me go tweak my WalMart thermometer now

Old 10-21-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Oh. It's YOU again

Anyone who's lived in Chicago and then comes to Denver thinks winters here are MUCH nicer, sunnier, and warmer.

To the OP, don't worry about this poster. He comes here and makes up things about how horrible the weather is in Denver. It's not below freezing for 2 months straight here. Average January highs are at 43 degrees. Every few years there is a blizzard, but this will be my 9th winter in Denver and I've only experienced one blizzard. Most winters there isn't constant snow on the ground. Actually, only one winter 4 years ago had a long period of time with snow-packed streets.

Suggested reading for those who want to know the truth.

Snowstorm shuts down Denver - Weather - msnbc.com

The Christmas Eve blizzard of 1982 – The best of Denver storms | Thornton and Denver Weather News and Commentary

What/when was the worst blizzard that you have experienced in Denver,CO?

Blizzard of 2006 – Buried in Snow and loving it.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:04 PM

8,955 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Wife and I lived in Denver metro south from mid 2002 til Oct 2007 and have to agree with KaaBoom's posting below. One thing for sure, different people have different ideas of the amount of snow that can fall in the metro area during any winter. But, there is one thing for sure, when people see city and highway snow ploughs pushing away literally "feet" of snow and residents are getting out their snow blowers (like we had to), the area got quite a bit more than a couple of inches!! Some people aren't bothered by "inches-to-feet" of snow while others are saying "when in the heck will it stop snowing!" And, when you hear people say "damn it's cold out there", the winter temps are definitely low!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

Old 10-21-2010, 04:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Oh. It's YOU again

Annnnnd ID confirmed

Old 10-21-2010, 06:09 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Is that the Bear again?

You know winter's coming again when every thread devolves into a "it's snowy, it's not snowy" debate.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Wife and I lived in Denver metro south from mid 2002 til Oct 2007 and have to agree with KaaBoom's posting below. One thing for sure, different people have different ideas of the amount of snow that can fall in the metro area during any winter. But, there is one thing for sure, when people see city and highway snow ploughs pushing away literally "feet" of snow and residents are getting out their snow blowers (like we had to), the area got quite a bit more than a couple of inches!! Some people aren't bothered by "inches-to-feet" of snow while others are saying "when in the heck will it stop snowing!" And, when you hear people say "damn it's cold out there", the winter temps are definitely low!
Yes, that is so true. If you notice most of the people who take issue with the fact that it snows in Denver, seem to be people who have moved to Denver from colder climates. And most of them seem to be disappointed that Denver doesn't get more snow. Of course with that attitude, they think that Denver has a mild climate. There is nothing with that. But then there is those of us who have lived in Denver and got feed up with the blizzards and freezing temperatures, and moved to more mild climates.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Is that the Bear again?

You know winter's coming again when every thread devolves into a "it's snowy, it's not snowy" debate.
Did you notice the title of this thread? "Relocating to Denver from Las Vegas need WEATHER & SNOW advice!!" Friendly advice: you might want to read the titles and skip the threads that you are not interested in. There are many threads on this forum, that don't interest me. I just skip right over them. But I don't post the fact to each one.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Next year I will be relocating to Westminster from Las Vegas and I would like some tips and advice on the weather in Denver, Colorado.

Here is a little background. I was born in Chicago and lived there for 15 years and then moved to Las Vegas but I have never driven in snow. I received my driver license while living in Las Vegas and now that I am 31 I want a change in scenery. I have already decided on upgrading my car to an SUV Jeep Chereokee.

So here are my questions:

1. How bad does the snow get there? (like Chiacgo)
Denver gets more snow then Chicago. Chicago's average snow fall is 38" per year. Denver's average is 61" per year.

Quote:
2. Does it rain a lot there? In Vegas we receive very little, just enought to mess up you car.
No, just thundershowers.

Quote:
3. Will I need special tires or equipment for my vehicle?
That would be a good idea.

Quote:
4. How long do the winters last?
The first snow fall is generally around October 19, and the last snowfall is about April 27.

Quote:
5. Is there anything I need to know?
Good luck with your move. I'm sure you will enjoy Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver