Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 07:19 PM

483 posts, read 1,221,915 times

Advertisements

So it seems as if the economy is slightly coming back... at least that's what they're telling us. Right now I'm in school taking a Networking program; should have an Associates of Applied Science in about half a year.

Working on certifications. CCNA, Network+, CompTIA Server+.

In most major cities, the IT market is flooded with people who have experience and no jobs, so from what I'm understanding there's nobody looking to hire someone fresh out of school, when they can hire someone with experience for the same pay rate. Ideally I'd like to work/stay in Chicago, but the COL is higher in Chicago than other Midwestern cities, and if I'm going to be receiving low pay anyways, it's probably not worth it.

However, I've heard from multiple people that in Denver, the IT market is better off than the rest of the country... (have also heard this about Dallas, and Seattle to an extent). I visited Denver and the high country earlier this year, and had a blast. Could see myself living in Denver proper and taking trips to the mountains on weekends.

Anybody have any input for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 07:51 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
I've got 15 years in the IT field, my last job was IT director before moving to Denver for my wifes job... I can't even get an interview. Over those 15 years, I cut my teeth for a year doing call center, picked up some certs and was LAN manager for a few years, picked up a few more certs and was part of a networking team for a dot com online banking company, then tried running my own business for several years before stepping into the IT director position.

It's tough here in Denver... though it looks like there are a lot of call center jobs, mostly the weekends/overnight positions. My programmer friends are having more luck than anyone else when it comes to specialties.

Thankfully I planned ahead (and my wife had a good job), so I'm just taking a mini-retirement through my mid 30's. I've heard that most of the IT jobs here are still on hold... I've been hearing that for a year. And I've NOT been picky about opportunities either (mostly just looking for something to do on a steady basis). Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:56 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
You'll probably need to start on a service desk before working your way into infrastructure operations so do a little research to see what companies have service desk positions where you want to locate. Use social networking to build some relationships with people at those companies. Once you get your foot in the door at an entry level position, keep networking in the company and applying for jobs internally in areas that interest you. A lot of times if they're winning new accounts they'll need a bunch of people all at once so keep up with their sales and marketing efforts to identify opportunities coming up. Many big IT companies have fairly attrocious recruiting practices so be patient and persistent. If you are, you'll do just fine.

If you can get on a government contract where they'll sponsor you for a security clearance that will do you a lot of good going forward as you'll have a leg up on the uncleared. Much of the action now in IT services is in government contracting. Start developing an interest in cyber defense and IA as those are really hot fields right now.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 10-26-2010 at 08:07 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 08:07 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,886 times
I was looking from out of state and I got a system administrator position after about 3 months, so I don't think it's all that bad. I would agree though that most people are looking for experience. This is just my opinion, but in IT anyway I think a degree is borderline useless these days unless it's like a military/government type job where they just blindly require it. Some good certifications these days include VCP, RHCE, I think the basic ones like CCNA/MCSE are almost overlooked due to the commonness and ease of obtaining them.

You do have to start smaller though, I'm sure almost every infrastructure / server guy started out as helpdesk.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:09 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,471 times
It is not great, honestly, but there are opening 'here and there.' Tryto get some experience - almost anything - for a start would be better than trying to get a job out of school with nothing. Certification makes someone look at your resume, experience is what will make them pick up the call and call you for an interview.

Since there are plenty of people with experience floating around, it makes it harder for those who are out of school. While in school, if you can, try to find someplace were you can utilize your skills to build up the experience.

Having said that, from time to time there are openings where I work for tier-1 positions and folks are getting hired. Now these folks may want to do sys admin stuff instead of tier 1 stuff but this allows them to build up/firm-up their skills for other positions down the road.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:29 PM

Alright, thanks for the responses everyone. I'm still doing research and what not, but I think I'll make my way to Denver after my Associates is completed. Ideally, I'd like to get a Bachelor's, and am going to begin looking for schools in the Denver area that would be able to provide me with this (and transfer credits from my current school).

Are there any good computer science related schools in the Denver area that any of you would recommend, that of course provide Bachelor's degrees? If I were to get accepted/credits transferred to a school there, that would help get my foot in the door as once I'm there I can begin looking for jobs or internships, anything to get experience.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:27 PM

Denver Metropolitan State College has a very good program and they are fairly "reasonable" price wise. UCD (University of Colorado at Denver) has one as well as their Boulder Campus.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:11 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,743 times
My sole experience in the Front Range Sprawl Blob was with an employer who advised me that they had over 300 qualified, highly experienced applicants. I wonder how many applied? Thousands?

Old 10-27-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever View Post
My sole experience in the Front Range Sprawl Blob was with an employer who advised me that they had over 300 qualified, highly experienced applicants. I wonder how many applied? Thousands?
Honestly I am not surprised. The Colorado unemployment is 8.2%, so you are looking at many of the ~225,000 unemployed people in Colorado - who are in are in your job area - who may have applied. Plus there are applicants from out of state as well.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:09 PM

Once again, thanks for the answers everybody. I had expected the job market to still be pretty slim pickings, but being as that I will be entry level, I'm not expecting to be a Network Engineer right off the bat. Wouldn't mind working in a help desk or support environment and working my way up, and honestly I would love to go to school in Denver. I figure by doing this I can establish myself locally and then when the time does come, I'll have a better chance at being hired.

I'm going to look more into schools and possibly take another trip out there to go to said schools and see if my credits will transfer (or enough of them will transfer). Since I graduated high school, I've been employed as an auto mechanic (did basic oil changes, tranny/radiator flushes, tires early on) and worked up to doing more work(brakes, exhaust, head/intake gaskets, steering and suspension), and eventually a full fledged mechanic, so I have something to fall back on if I'm unable to find a IT job, although I'd rather not go back to working on cars for a living.

I've made due with making crap money in Chicago which as far as I've seen has a much higher COL than Denver, so overall I'm not -too- worried about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver