Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 09:21 PM

180 posts, read 480,034 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Going through alot right now and I need to get out of the Dallas area for a few days/a week and I am having a hard time pin pointing where I want to stay. I've been doing my research for days and there are just so many possibilities and the last time I went to Colorado I was a young kid so I don't know the area or anything about Colorado for that matter (please excuse my ignorance). I'm thinking of doing a 2 part trip maybe? Spend a day or 2 in Denver relaxing, checking out city ect. and the second half at a ski resort for 3-4 days? There are just so many options on both ends I need the insight of native Coloradians.

1.) I am a 27 yr old female traveling alone, so safety is paramount. I want to fly into Denver and not rent a car if that is possible. One, I'm from TX and have no cold weather/snow driving experience-plus female....yeah, you really don't want me driving
2.) Looking for a hotel in a nice part of the city near restaurants, boutiques, interesting things to see, ect within walking distance. Looking to find the area then priceline the hotel for best deal. Don't need a ton of night life, I don't care for trendy clubs/lounges or any of that BS. I like laid back bars if I do go out for a drink but I probably won't since I'll be by myself.
3.) Ski Resort....this is the spot that I am having the most trouble with. There are so many ski resorts with numerous lodging options I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'm pretty laid back and don't want to be around a bunch of stuck up tourists/ppl (is that an oxymoron? ) hence the getting out of Dallas part. So no to Vail & Aspen? I have no ski experience, so ski school, rentals, beginner bunny hills are a must. Would love to go explore by snow shoeing or any other outdoor activites as well. I'm just looking for a decent resort with friendly staff/ppl willing to guide a noob where I can go play outside. I was thinking Winter Park? It looks the closest to Denver and can I hire a taxi/shuttle there? Who would you suggest as a shuttle/taxi? On lift tickets, is it better to buy daily or say a 3-4 day pass (depending how long I decide to stay). I was hoping to spend about $80-$125 per night based on some of the rates I've seen. Just me so I don't need alot of space but I'm leaning towards more centralized lodging like Winter Park Mountain Resort as opposed to budget hotels on the outskirts.

I know that there is a lot in this post but any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 09:29 PM

948 posts, read 1,387,538 times
Sounds like you need a few days of escape. I would recommend that instead of a hotel or resort that you find a nice bed and breakfast.
Look up towards Evergreen area.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:00 AM

88 posts, read 199,043 times
While in Denver I would find a hotel in Lodo. You can literally get a $150-$200 a night hotel for $60-70 bucks if you "name your price" on priceline. It sounds like you already know that though. That will give you a good base to explore the city and there are many cool spots you can walk to. Also, it is relatively safe. For the skiing I think Winterpark is a good choice. Look at taking the train to Winterpark! It leaves right from Union Station in Lodo...you could walk there. I would also take a look at Breckenridge. Its a great mountain and there should be a shuttle or bus going there as well. IMO there is quite a bit more to do in that area and the skiing is arguably better. Enjoy your trip!

Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,819,892 times
I stayed at the Marriott on the 16th street mall a while back; they had a very comfortable bed and well apointed clean rooms for the price. I paid 120 a night, and thought it was a reasonable rate for the location. You could check out downtown Boulder for a nice walkable weekend..plenty of Cafe's, streetscape boutiques ect. I agree with Breckenridge as a destination; it will give you more of the authentic Colorado mountain feel than say Winter Park or Vail IMO. Although Vail has the best skiing hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver