Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,200 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am a 27 year old single mother of one and I am currently living in the Dallas, Tx area. I have been back home in Nebraska for the holidays and my family has convinced me to look at moving to Denver to be 5 hours closer to home. The thing is, I am not familiar with the area at all.

What suburbs are safe, kid/family friendly? Excellent schools? Affordable rental rates...$900 or under for a 2 bedroom w/attached garage, or house rental?

Also, being single, I would like to know where are good places to go to be around other single professionals? I don't really want to be in an area that is full of married couples!

I am new to this forum and I'm sure there are some posts out there that cover my questions...and I will be reading through them as I wait for responses.

Thank you!

(I am in real estate here in Texas doing apartment locating...does Denver have any apartment locating businesses? I also have my Bachelor Degree in Marketing with sales experience. Any companies that come highly recommended to look at when looking for jobs? Since I just made up my mind to consider moving...I haven't done much job searching besides posting on Careerbuilder.com, Monster.com and Job.com)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 03:10 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,484,437 times
People seem to be proud of living in Lakewood...west of Denver.

You tell me when you find a good place for single professionals.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:49 PM

553 posts, read 1,545,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusclemama View Post
Hi!

I have been back home in Nebraska for the holidays and my family has convinced me to look at moving to Denver to be 5 hours closer to home. The thing is, I am not familiar with the area at all.
Hello. I just have a question...how come you don't move back to Nebraska to be closer to your family?

I was just wondering, because I have family out there too. We always look forward to visiting them every chance we get. I feel like the only one on the planet that actually likes NE.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:49 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,484,437 times
Probably for job and social reasons. I drove around Dallas last month and it seemed to be growing from gigantic to truly colossal. I don't know how the Denver situation compares career wise.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:45 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,629,473 times
If you have a marketing degree you should easily find work, that is if you have experience with it. As for apartment location businesses there are quite a few. In fact I own a condo that I rent out and I use a management company to find renters and manage the day to day maintenance of it. As for the social scene here, I think you will like it. You could rent an apartment near one of the light rail stations that way you could get downtown or to lower downtown any time without having to worry about driving. There is a great scene in town. Best of luck!

Old 01-07-2011, 06:15 PM

90 posts, read 285,564 times
Please don't quit your job and move here without already having a job in hand.

The economy here is *much* worse than Dallas.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:46 PM

26,229 posts, read 49,095,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soscrewed View Post
Please don't quit your job and move here without already having a job in hand.

The economy here is *much* worse than Dallas.
you got numbers? or just blowing smoke?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:04 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,963,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
you got numbers? or just blowing smoke?
I was just curious, so:

Dallas, TX MSA
Unemployment: 8.2%
Median Household Income: $54,539
Median Home Value: $149,700

Denver, CO MSA:
Unemployment: 8.7%
Median Household Income: $59,007
Median Home Value: $248,500

Dallas' unemployment is a little lower.

The income to housing ratio in Dallas is awesome. But then you'd have to live in Dallas.

http://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...Id=49&_lang=en (American Community Survey, 2009)

Last edited by Count David; 01-07-2011 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Added sources:

Old 01-07-2011, 07:19 PM

26,229 posts, read 49,095,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I was just curious, so:

Dallas, TX MSA
Unemployment: 8.2%
Median Household Income: $54,539
Median Home Value: $149,700

Denver, CO MSA:
Unemployment: 8.7%
Median Household Income: $59,007
Median Home Value: $248,500

Dallas' unemployment is a little lower.

The income to housing ratio in Dallas is awesome. But then you'd have to live in Dallas.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

American FactFinder (American Community Survey, 2009)
Thanks. I don't see "much" worse.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver