Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 21,892 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. Thank you for all the insightful information that you guys and girls have been posting in this forum!

My family and I are moving to Broomfield, CO this coming February. Yes..next month...and I am so excited and anxious at the same time This will be my 1st big interstate move! There's a lot to be done and lots and lots of info to be gathered still. Therefore, I'm hoping I can get some feedback from all of you here - current and ex Colorado-nians

With that said, I have few questions that I am hoping you'd be able to help me out:
1) Who should I contact for the following services:
- Phone
- Internet
- Cable
- Water
- Garbage
- Gas
- Electric
2) In average, per month, how much approximately would our spending be on all the above service, if we live in a > 2,500 sq.ft. house (needs to be considered for the gas and electric, I suppose?)?
3) I have a daughter who will be 3 next April. Is La Petite academy in Broomfield any good? I think the closest one to our place would either be the one on Eaton St. or Westlake St.
4) Any advise on what freeway route should we take when we're moving in the last week of February? I've driven in the snow before, but not that much...so this information would be really helpful!

I think I've posted enough for today. Thank you in advance for your help!

Muti
"would be former CA-ian"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 05:56 PM

72 posts, read 182,118 times
I am jealous. I'm stuck in the Bay Area due to a good job here and no jobs there. Good luck. I have heard from relatives in Colorado that Broomfield is nice and the schools are good. you are making the right move getting out of this state.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:50 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_Momma View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. Thank you for all the insightful information that you guys and girls have been posting in this forum!

My family and I are moving to Broomfield, CO this coming February. Yes..next month...and I am so excited and anxious at the same time This will be my 1st big interstate move! There's a lot to be done and lots and lots of info to be gathered still. Therefore, I'm hoping I can get some feedback from all of you here - current and ex Colorado-nians

With that said, I have few questions that I am hoping you'd be able to help me out:
1) Who should I contact for the following services:
- Phone
What kind do you want -- LAN or VOIP? Quest. Vonage. We're very close to giving up Quest and just use our cell phones for everything. The damn fax machine is the issue.
- Internet
What kind do you want -- DSL or Cable? We use Comcast Cable.
- Cable
What kind do you want? We dropped Comcast in favor of Direct TV -- best decision ever. A lot cheaper.
- Water
City does it for you. Or you can always check the Broomfield website.
- Garbage
City does it for you. Or you can always check the Broomfield website.
- Gas
XCEL
- Electric
XCEL

2) In average, per month, how much approximately would our spending be on all the above service, if we live in a > 2,500 sq.ft. house (needs to be considered for the gas and electric, I suppose?)?
Our house is 2500 sq ft. We spend $220 Electricity/Gas. $50 Water.$35 HOA. $85 Direct TV.$50 Internet per month.

3) I have a daughter who will be 3 next April. Is La Petite academy in Broomfield any good? I think the closest one to our place would either be the one on Eaton St. or Westlake St.

We have a 3 year old daughter. The best pre-school in the area is The Children's Center by far:

Broomfield Preschool | The Children's Center Preschool - Home

But if you need a childcare center (full-time care), not a preschool, there are others too. It's really going to depend on WHERE you are in Broomfield as the area is fairly large. Goddard, The Academy, Bright Horizons, many more equally as good or better for child care. We've tour them all, including La Petite and The Children's Center for pre-school wins hands down. If you're interested, I suggest you call ASAP as they are filling classes for September school year this week. If you need more on childcare, let me know.

4) Any advise on what freeway route should we take when we're moving in the last week of February? I've driven in the snow before, but not that much...so this information would be really helpful!

You're going to have to watch the weather until a day before to choose between 80 and 70, there's no other way to do it as it's so unpredeictable this time of year! With they way the it's been snowing in the mountains, odds are you'll want to take 80.

I think I've posted enough for today. Thank you in advance for your help!

Muti
"would be former CA-ian"
Congrats on the move. I'm from the Bay Area too, SJ/SF. I have also lived in CO for a total of 12 years, two different stints. We've lived in Broomfield for the past 4.5 years.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 AM

305 posts, read 770,279 times
Good decision on escaping the Bay Area rat race. I lived there too for many years but got out 13 years ago. The Denver metro definitely offers a better quality of life. Congratulations on becoming a "Coloradoan" and best of luck with the move! : )

Old 02-02-2011, 05:02 PM

Hi everyone,
Thank you so much for the response and feedback! We are so excited to be out there!
Muti

Old 02-02-2011, 05:22 PM

Talking Thanks for the list of service providers and cost estimate

Idlewile,

Thank you so much! This helps a lot in setting our family budget in advance!
Looking forward to being a Colorado-an! Yeah!

Muti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Congrats on the move. I'm from the Bay Area too, SJ/SF. I have also lived in CO for a total of 12 years, two different stints. We've lived in Broomfield for the past 4.5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver