Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:49 AM

156 posts, read 325,846 times

Advertisements

So heres my bind guys.... Ive posted on this thread a few times and have wanted to move to Colorado for the last 5-6 years (I wanted to move out there right out of high school to attend college but out of state tuition was way too much for me at the time)..

So heres what happening for me now.

I live in Jamestown, NY.. The job outlook is either restaurant work, financing or construction.. Ive done the restaurant work and the construction. Financing is definitely not my thing. But my main goal in life is law enforcement work. However, I believe I am good enough to do managerial work in a restaurant or some type of food service business (not what I want to do all my life but I know I could do that with my 11 years of restaurant exp.)

With all this said, I've worked at literally every restaurant in this area. Most the time it is just seasonal work, other times the salaries are just too poor since our area is broke (Ive ranged from wages of $5.15 back in 2000 up to $14 in 2010). I need something more set and more committed.

As for law enforcement work here, in this exact area. We just have 1 Sheriff's Academy which costs $8000 to attend and does not guarantee you a job. I'm not interested in doing that at all. I have applied to the NYS DOC over 4 months ago and still have yet to receive my written results (beginning phase so that would take another 10-14 months to complete all phases) and the Rochester PD over 3 months ago (once again, no written results as of yet and could take another 6 more months to complete since I am still at the beginning phases).

Now onto the Colorado area:

I have been offered 6 interviews ranging from the dates of Feb 11th-March 1st. I guess some arent technically interviews but I will list them.

1. TSA: TSO Position at the Colorado Springs Airport. Only Part Time Work but it is a federal job with lots of advancement possibilities (especially with me holding a BA in Criminal Justice)
2 Fort Collins PD: I am scheduled for written exams, physical exams and interviews with the department from the 19th-23rd of February. I feel pretty confident about this position (only concern is the oral board interview but I think that is just nerves). Anyways, if I pass those phases I would be attending a paid academy ($5000 per month) in July.
3. Arvada PD: I just applied with them and they told me I am eligible to test with their department
4. Advantage Security: Once again, they told me to come down for an interview at my convenience.. Once again, part time work at roughly $12.00 a hour with the possibility of full time.
5. BI Incorporated: Located in Boulder, CO.. They told me they have a wide array of applicants but to come down and talk with HR if I am extremely interested in the position. This would be home-monitoring ex-cons. Full time position with good pay
6. King Soopers: Located in Fort Collins, Denver, Englewood, Boulder and a few other places. Managerial restaurant work paying between $15-$20/hr. Full Time. Like I said, I want to stray away from the restaurant business but if I got this position I would certainly take it for the time being.

Few Randoms: Colorado Judicial Assistant Positions, The Grand Hyatt (restaurant work, was referred to this place by a previous employee who worked there), some other restaurants around the Broadway area (not really sure on the names but another employee said he would call his old employers and see if they are hiring.

So basically, I am looking at a good handful of opportunities. I know nothing in this day of age is a sure thing but Ive always believed that you need to take a chance to be successful.

I priced out a hotel stay, car rental, groceries, and other expenses on if I was to just stay in Denver from Feb 10-March 1st and it came out to roughly $2500..

Before I made the arrangements I saw an apartment get put up on Logan Street in Denver CO for $550 a month (includes all utilities except electric) and had a lease term of 3 months. So I called and told them to save me the unit (But i have yet to put a security deposit down, I would have to do that today by mailing it in).

I figured, for the few more bucks I could live out in Denver for 3 months and look for work. If it doesnt work out then I am not committed long term to the area (even though I would love to live in Denver). The timing is perfect though because if I dont find a job in Denver I will move out by May 11th and then will proceed back to NY and work at my seasonal place of employment this summer making $15 a hour off the books. I would make all the money back that I spent while I was in Denver.

The main thing that is "holding me back" is my relationship with my girlfriend.. Its only been 9 months with her but I spend as much time as possible with her. I actually took all morning shifts last summer so I could work the same shifts she did (less hours for me) then we would have the evenings to spend together. Weekends I always tried to get Sunday off so we could spend the day together and go to the beach, walks, or just domestic chores.

We have talked about me moving ever since we started dating and at first she was considering transferring to the main branch of Farm Credit in Colorado. However this was very early in the relationship and both of us didnt think it was a wise decision when we had only been dating for 2 months. When I got the call yesterday about the apartment being mine she broke down and cried for the remainder of the day. And I feel completely terrible about moving now.

She had always mentioned that she would take care of me financially because her job pays her well enough that she can support 2 people fairly easily. But I just feel worthless in a sense where I have to do basic work to just get by to afford car payments, rent, etc. And I hate the idea of making her put her hard earned money towards me on a daily basis. We do try to split bills to the best of our abilities but in all honesty, she puts in way more than me (I dont mooch but she knows that I am saving what I can to find a good job).

I really dont want to leave her at all (we already decided that if I do go we are going to commit to a long distance relationship). But at the same time I know there are no job opportunities here (been applying for over 14mos now). I also feel that eventually she will get fed up with me not having a career (thats the only "complaint" she has about me, is that I dont have a career set up yet). I am 23 (24 next month) and she is 27 so she is really looking into settling down and Im at the point in my life where its a make or break time career wise. Like I said, its only been 9mos with her and who knows where me and her will be in 6mos (i honestly dont see this breaking up though unless the move really devastates her).

I should also throw in there that shes not sure if she would want to move to Colorado. She said she wants to visit one more time and see how miserable she really is without me around. But I think she is more set on staying in NY where she has a set career and makes a very good amount of money. She didnt rule out the possibility of moving there and we both discussed plans on moving to a different area once I establish something of importance on my resume.

I guess our best talk last night about the situation was us agreeing that If I dont have a job then there is a good chance of me and her breaking up because financially we will be strained, ill be miserable being unemployed and she wont want to do much at night since she works 8am-5pm M-F

Sooooooo, with all that said. Should I still take the leap and try out for these interviews in Colorado (leave the gf for at least 3 months)? Or should I stick around Jamestown, NY with my girlfriend and just wait out for a possible employment opportunity that is closer to home? Like I said, nothing is set in stone. These Colorado jobs are just interviews but its the most ive gotten since I graduated college in December 2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 10:50 AM

704 posts, read 1,792,686 times
Pop the question and move to Denver. If you're not going to marry her, then why drag her across the country?

Old 02-03-2011, 11:06 AM

345 posts, read 914,113 times
Do the Fort Collins PD interview and whatever other ones you can in a week or two. Then go back home and wait.
Do not propose lol or get an apt and etc and burn through your money while waiting to hear back. My sister applied for a position in the DOC and it was not a quick yea you are hired, it took a while to get the answer. She was one of many who interviewed, she probably got it based on prior experience and college credits in criminal justice.

Come apply, look around and hope for the best.

Personally the TSA position is one I would not take, they make very little money and you would be struggling if that was your sole source of income. Plus now with the groping lol and etc you would not be a popular person

If you do get a job here then talk to your girlfriend again about what she wants to do. Maybe she wants to stay near friends and family, maybe she cannot get a transfer, maybe she has had enough of Winter there this year and wants a change.

Don't quit your job, leave your apt and etc there unless you are positive this is the right move for you and you can get employment.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Pop the question and move to Denver. If you're not going to marry her, then why drag her across the country?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
Do the Fort Collins PD interview and whatever other ones you can in a week or two. Then go back home and wait.
Do not propose lol or get an apt and etc and burn through your money while waiting to hear back. My sister applied for a position in the DOC and it was not a quick yea you are hired, it took a while to get the answer. She was one of many who interviewed, she probably got it based on prior experience and college credits in criminal justice.

Come apply, look around and hope for the best.

Personally the TSA position is one I would not take, they make very little money and you would be struggling if that was your sole source of income. Plus now with the groping lol and etc you would not be a popular person

If you do get a job here then talk to your girlfriend again about what she wants to do. Maybe she wants to stay near friends and family, maybe she cannot get a transfer, maybe she has had enough of Winter there this year and wants a change.

Don't quit your job, leave your apt and etc there unless you are positive this is the right move for you and you can get employment.
Strangely, I agree with both, however, my sentiments are more in line with gmm_24. The gf may be more likely to come out here, though, if you guys are engaged. I remember a similar incident with my boyfriend, now DH. He wanted me to go along on a six month job he was offered in Germany. However, he did not want to ask me to marry him and I said I wouldn't leave my own job, family, etc. So maybe if you get a job offer, and she's "the one", you should consider getting engaged.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:03 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,357,536 times
I'd look at an Extended Stay motel or maybe look at getting a discount on a 'regular' hotel through Priceline or something like that, instead of committing to the apartment. I'd say come on out, go to those interviews, and then wait and see what happens.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the reply guys.. So it looks like a lot of you think i should just stay for the couple of weeks? What if the price is fairly similar? Ive priced out hotels for the 2 weeks and being under 25 I get charged an extra fee to rent a car (which will be a necessity for at least 7 of the 14 days im there). The hotels for the 2 weeks would run me close to $800.. Tack on the car rental at roughly $250 (thats my best guess). Flight there and back would push around $350-$400 and just there alone im looking at $1450 (I figure I would need to use the public transport on days I dont have a car and food). That total there is close to the amount im looking at for an apartment for 3 months. Granted I have to factor in groceries for the 3 months compared to 2 weeks.. "Entertainment" expenses for a longer stay, etc.

I have no job here in NY and wont until May (seasonal employment).. Thats why I am leaning towards just moving there for the 3 months.

I should also make clear that my girlfriend is the one who rents the apartment. I help her pay for groceries along with the utility bills. I am not signed onto the lease so I am not breaking the lease.

And as far as the proposing part.. Haha, yea I will probably do that down the line but not right now when i dont have a job lined up. I need to at least get myself settled and then figure out how to pop that question.

I do appreciate the feedbacks though!

Old 02-03-2011, 02:50 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,357,536 times
Have you thought about calculating the cost to drive yourself from NY if you have your own vehicle? Then maybe you can use priceline's "name your own price" feature for hotels along the way (I once booked a last-minute four-star hotel in Albuquerque for $30, including taxes), not have to deal with airfare or under-25 car rental fees (if it works out to be cheaper), and then your only concern would be finding a place to stay while you're here.

I'm not against your idea of renting an apartment here -- it's just that I'm trying to find the cheapest way possible for you to go to those interviews since you aren't currently employed.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:03 PM

Well would you be renting a car on and off or 3 months? That right there would be costly. Public transportation is not like in NY, there are buses, the lightrail is limited in where it travels and etc.

The apt you said is on Logan St in Denver which is quite far from Fort Collins, Boulder and Arvada you would need the car to get there.

Heat, hot water and etc are all included in the rental?

Also after the interviews and looking around what will you be doing here for 3 months with limited funds?

Well it is good that you are not breaking a lease or quitting a job. But I bet your girlfriend might miss you for 3 months

I guess you should ask yourself how much you can safely spend, what will you be doing with the rest of your time with no car and etc, then decide.
Also ask your girlfriend for her input. Will she come for a visit if you are here for 3 months? If not do you want to be separated for that long? Is she ok with it, etc etc.

I still say come and apply but think through the time, cost and temp separation.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:39 PM

I would drive myself down. The gas costs would be approx. $250. Calculate 2 nights in hotel so I would guess around $350 to make the trip out there.

I should also stress that the part of NY I live in does not offer any public transportation. A regular commute for me to the store, mall, doctors, etc is roughly 30mins.

The Rental unit includes heat, sewer, water, high speed internet, trash and off-street parking. I am required to pay electric which I was estimated at $25-$40 per month.

That is a good question on what I would do for the entire 3 months. I planned on just searching for work during that entire time. If I got something I would obviously be working and just trying to enjoy my life.

Me and my girlfriend did talk. She has a business trip in New Mexico for the first week of March, and I will be doing my interviews for most of the month of February. She thought, if work permitted it, she could come visit in the beginning of April. If that wasnt a possibility, and if I was still unemployed, I was just going to fly back for a long weekend.

She assures me that things will be fine if I go do this, she will be sad (me too of course) but she specifically said she doesnt want to tie me down if I have these possible opportunities.

Im starting to consider just the 2 week stay more and more. I would have to look at priceline again to calculate hotel stays but I would still think I would spend $1500 on just transportation and hotel stays for a 2 week stay.

Im also going to put out there that my father loaned me $4000 to use for a possible move so I could find employment. So, the only fund I really would be digging into is this loan. Its just trying to figure out how to go about using the loan (short 2 week stay or a longer 3 month stay)

Old 02-03-2011, 05:45 PM

Well since you have an interview soon a last minute plane ticket would be really expensive. Plus you will not have to rely on public transportation or car rentals.
So how about you drive out here, rent that apt for a month, this way you have transportation, a place to stay that is fairly affordable.
A month won't cost so much and you will not blow half or more of your moving nest egg.
It gives you time for interviews, second interviews, looking around and etc. If something comes up then you can extend your stay another month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver