Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 03:31 PM

30 posts, read 68,174 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at the forums for over a year reading and trying to get as much information as possible about the Denver and Boulder areas. We have family in Co. vacation there almost every year and like many would like to relocate soon. We are currently in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

Like most mothers, my main concern is the education system and general safety of area. I'm not reallly looking for the best of the best in any other aspect. We are a young couple, with young children just starting out in our careers. We make a combined income of 80k

Now, if you were coming to Dallas-Fort Worth and doing research on great areas here where you would get the best of the best here.. area like Highland Park, Southlake, and Colleyville would pop up on forums like this one. These are places that are affluent, multi million dollar residents, zero apartment communities, and the best public schools in town. These places are unrealistic for people like myself - at least at this time in my life.

However, people who were born and raised in the DFW area know there are MANY MANY other areas (hidden gems) that are affordable, safe, small, with EXEMPLARY schools, ect. Places like where I live - Euless, Tx. There are several others like mine as well, where you can get a home for under $120k or rent a NICE two bedroom in a newer apartment community for around $900/month and still feel good about your commuity and the well being of your children.

What are the areas like this outside of Boulder or Denver? Any???

Also, I would prefer to be in close proximity to convieniances like Super Target, CVS, Whole Foods, and various other shopping and dining options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 04:06 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
Hmm, this post is sort of like the other one, or has undercurrents. I'm curious - why do you think that we are only posting the best of the best and only affluent neighborhoods to live in (in Denver)? Maybe I'm missing something. Most of the threads I see here are people posting all about affordable places to live and decent schools, not Beverly Hills type places.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:29 PM

That's actually why I posted, to ask. But, like people have said I suppose it's all relative to what you think is affordable.

I have seen posts on Louisville, Superior, Lafayette, etc. but have also heard that these are more highly sought after areas .. which have been featured in top listings as "best places to live" etc. So, of course it leads me to believe that they might be pricey compared to other lesser known but still good places to live.

I was just asking for other, possibly cheaper options. This could inculde any decent area with good schools around Denver, Boulder, or Arvada

Old 06-23-2011, 06:01 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Where wil you be working? Sound slike you have no been hired anywhere yet. Then you can start looking where to live.

Best schools are Cherry Creek, not the district such as smokey hill etc... but Cherry Creek High School and all the schools under it.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Where wil you be working? Sound slike you have no been hired anywhere yet. Then you can start looking where to live.

Best schools are Cherry Creek, not the district such as smokey hill etc... but Cherry Creek High School and all the schools under it.
Luckily, I'm in property management so I can do it the other way around.
My company has properties all over Colorado. I'd like to choose my area first then choose where to work. It's a chance I feel confident about. Work no matter what the field will always be volatile, it's more about my kids than anything else.

Thanks for yourr response!

Old 06-23-2011, 06:11 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
In Colorado, we have a school of choice law. You can enroll your children into any school, regardless of the school district, on a space available basis. This allows people to live in one area while sending their kids to school in another area. The parent is responsible for their kids' transportation to and from the school.

You will not find good houses here for $120k. A hidden gem here is a house for less than $220k.

Here is a place to find hidden gems:

South Jefferson County (zip codes 80123 and 80128), south of Bowles Ave and west of Pierce St. Many houses sell for around $210k (less if they need to be fixed up) and condos for less than $130k. These feed into Columbine High School (houses east of Wadsworth) and Chatfield HS (houses west of Wadsworth). Columbine is infamous, of course but it is a very good school. Chatfield is one of the best high schools in Jefferson County.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
In Colorado, we have a school of choice law. You can enroll your children into any school, regardless of the school district, on a space available basis. This allows people to live in one area while sending their kids to school in another area. The parent is responsible for their kids' transportation to and from the school.

You will not find good houses here for $120k. A hidden gem here is a house for less than $220k.

Here is a place to find hidden gems:

South Jefferson County (zip codes 80123 and 80128), south of Bowles Ave and west of Pierce St. Many houses sell for around $210k (less if they need to be fixed up) and condos for less than $130k. These feed into Columbine High School (houses east of Wadsworth) and Chatfield HS (houses west of Wadsworth). Columbine is infamous, of course but it is a very good school. Chatfield is one of the best high schools in Jefferson County.
Awesome!!! This was more helpful than anything! And, I did NOT know about the school of choice law! If that is true than that would make things alot easier. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:56 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda87 View Post
Awesome!!! This was more helpful than anything! And, I did NOT know about the school of choice law! If that is true than that would make things alot easier. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the info.
One more thing... Some of the best schools are full and/or take in-district choice students and become full and are not open to out-of-district choice students. Cherry Creek HS (mentioned in a previous post as one of the best HS in the state) is one of those schools.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:15 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,121 times
You can find a few sub 200K houses in the neighborhoods west of DU. Nice area close to the college campus and near a light rail station.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:56 AM

6,776 posts, read 9,332,326 times
I think most people who try to be realistic about the cost of living are basically trying to say that you're generally going to have to make compromises if you want to move to an area where the cost of living is a bit higher than where you're coming from. For instance, you probably won't be able to purchase a newer 4-bedroom 3-bathroom house in an awesome school district and in an awesome neighborhood for $100K. That's 'just how it is' here. Those are the kinds of expectations I usually try to comment on. It's not so much about trying to be snobby, but I'm trying to be realistic so that the OPs aren't in for a surprise once they get here.

You're right, though -- there ARE hidden gems around the metro area! Also, as far as school choice goes, I know that some schools have waiting lists and are apparently difficult to get into if you're outside of the boundary, so just keep that in mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver